Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steve young on MNF about RG3: "...its not his fault.... "

redskins4ever28

Cheers IrepDc. I honestly think if Griffin just came out and admitted some responsibility for the train wreck we see to watch each week we would be all right behind him. We can debate all day how much of it is his fault but just a tiny bit of ownership and everyone would be cool.

I agree 100% Bang that the defensive problems are down to the line. No pressure at all on the opposing QBs, ever. Whether that is coaching or bad players I guess that is another thread!

I don't get the sense that RG3 tries to be Superman though, trying to make a play every down.  He misses too many makeable plays for that to be the case.

When he dives headfirst into 3 defenders flying in to kill him; when he holds onto the ball, running around waiting for someone to break free downfield instead of throwing it away; when he throws it up off his back foot on 3rd and 1, these are all examples of him trying to be Superman and signs that he feels he has to make every play.

As much as Griffin tried to make it about the team in every interview during his rookie year, the crowds just continued to chant his name even louder in the background. That's all a lot of "Redskins" fans knew how to say last year, "R-G-3, R-G-3, R-G-3." The pressure has been on his shoulders since he's gotten hear. Washington DC doesn't want to hear about OL, or WRs, or coaching, they want RGIII to overcome it all and be Superman like he was last year- injured knee or not. And they want him to be Superman without making mistakes. He has to be Superman now. That's the pressure we've put on him, and it shows when he plays.

Cheers IrepDc. I honestly think if Griffin just came out and admitted some responsibility for the train wreck we see to watch each week we would be all right behind him. We can debate all day how much of it is his fault but just a tiny bit of ownership and everyone would be cool.

I agree 100% Bang that the defensive problems are down to the line. No pressure at all on the opposing QBs, ever. Whether that is coaching or bad players I guess that is another thread!

I believe it's coaching. those guys on the DL have talent. 

But you're right, it's another thread.

~Bang 

One thing about NFL analysts, unless they're doing games or hanging out at NFL Films like Jaworski and Hoge do, they don't watch nearly as much tape as people think they do.  I would argue some people on this board are more well versed in what ails RG3 than Jeff Garcia.  And that's saying nothing of his football acumen, I'm sure he knows the game, I just doubt he puts the time in studying any one player extensively.  He's got the whole league to worry about.

I wouldn't have quoted Garcia if I didn't agree with him, and I have the analysis to back it up.

What I've seen from Griffin is growing frustration. He started out saying all the right things. He started out taking the blame even when it wasn't on him. The thing is, he still takes fault. This growing lie on here is that he blamed the coaches. He made one comment about the Eagles knowing plays that was a subtle mention of what many on this board have been saying about our scheme. The only direct blame he pointed was on himself. He admitted he was trying to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone on that INT, and that because he was throwing off of his back foot it didn't get as far as he wanted. He then said it's something he will learn from.

Don't let the half researched opinions on here fool you. He still primarily holds himself accountable, and the one time he didn't, it was a subtle mention of a HUGE problem that our offense has had this year.

It all starts up front.

If RG3 has a cleaner pocket, he may make better throws.

He made some awful throws the other day and you know what it reminded me of?

Patrick Ramsey. Happy feet, indecisive, not necessarily as to which receiver to watch, but whether to watch a receiver or the linemen who are piling up in his lap.

~Bang

You know what Iv thought about this year, "Patrick Ramsey/ RG3 affect" and haven't posted anything about it.  It was not a QB comparison, but the idea of how Griffin is going to grow/ develop.  The idea of Ramsey getting nailed all the time and never getting to his "full potential" has made me think of that idea, haha.

Again with the "If only he said what I wanted to hear in the exact way I want to hear everything would be totally cool I swear!"

This fanbase is so hard to take seriously.

Yeah, and the Broncos are paying Eric Decker and Julius Thomas less combined than Shanahan decided to pay the league's 21st ranked punter.

Um, Rocca is less then $1 million on the cap this year, so I don't know what to tell you on that one. I was beyond frustrated with the eagles game watching us down 24-0 most of the game. At same time, I know I'm not the only to see the only person Griffin had to throw to was Garcon because Reed and Hankerson were both down and the oline getting pwned.

Bang brought it up, too, our dline is useless, and its effecting the rest of the defense as well getting pushed out the way and not getting any pressure at all. As much as I'm sick of Orakpo's underproduction, he really doesn't have that much to work with either.

Mara didn't get us last year, but without a healthy Griffin to save us, the cap hit has finally taken its toll on the team. I'm fine with giving Shanahan an extension with threat to fire after year five if he can't get us winning again. There's no winning with this little talent, i don't care who the coach is.

I dont think it is that rg3 has a big ego about himself .. i think its more that he thinks he wants to bring the redskins franchise to glory and since we drafted him as the future and a new era of course its in his head, what young player is gonna want to not play? Thats why the head coach has to be responsible and shanny was not by letting him play(seattle and this year) and making it worse , i dont care what anyone says you are not healthy with a brace on your knee, rg3 has a attitude that is a double edge sword ..,its great he wants to play no matter what and i appreciate that but it also blinds him when hes not ok.. but shanny ****ed that whole situation and mae it 10x worse.

Again with the "If only he said what I wanted to hear in the exact way I want to hear everything would be totally cool I swear!"

This fanbase is so hard to take seriously.

What are you talking about? You said Brady didn't take the blame for his bad throw. We have proved that he did.

If you are talking about Griffin now then based on the things I have seen and heard he does appear to blame everyone but himself. But I accept that we don't get the wall to wall coverage over here that you do in the States.

Cam will always believe it's all about him. That being said, Griffin's surrounding cast has not been playing well, including Kyle.

Who cares if Cam believes it's all about him? Cam, Griffin, Kaepernick, and Geno Smith can be the biggest divas in the world as long as they work and produce on the field. Somne of you guys think every QB should talk and act like Beaver Cleaver. Hopefully Griffin can get a Defense comparable to the ones those other young QB's have. 

What are you talking about? You said Brady didn't take the blame for his bad throw. We have proved that he did.

If you are talking about Griffin now then based on the things I have seen and heard he does appear to blame everyone but himself. But I accept that we don't get the wall to wall coverage over here that you do in the States.

As a throwaway line at the very end of his press conference, he did. I was also being sarcastic because what players say in press conferences means NOTHING to me. Which I seem to be in the minority on.

Is Tom Brady a bad leader?

Come on.

Who gives a rat's behind what any of them say in any of these press conferences. they're walking through minefields every time they open their mouth.

People read a lot into these comments. Very very little of it actually means anything.

~Bang

Is Tom Brady a bad leader?

Come on.

Who gives a rat's behind what any of them say in any of these press conferences. they're walking through minefields every time they open their mouth.

People read a lot into these comments. Very very little of it actually means anything.

~Bang

Bang, I noticed you said rat's behind instead of ass. Are you implying that it's not your fault, but the fault of your teammates that your team is "behind" in so many games? I'm not reading in to anything...this is coming straight from the horse's mouth.

What I've seen from Griffin is growing frustration. He started out saying all the right things. He started out taking the blame even when it wasn't on him. The thing is, he still takes fault. This growing lie on here is that he blamed the coaches. He made one comment about the Eagles knowing plays that was a subtle mention of what many on this board have been saying about our scheme. The only direct blame he pointed was on himself. He admitted he was trying to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone on that INT, and that because he was throwing off of his back foot it didn't get as far as he wanted. He then said it's something he will learn from.

Don't let the half researched opinions on here fool you. He still primarily holds himself accountable, and the one time he didn't, it was a subtle mention of a HUGE problem that our offense has had this year.

For fear of banishment...this^^

Hail!

I think any time you have compulsory press conferences you're going to get a lot of rubbish spouted at them. That's human nature. So taking them with a pinch of salt is probably advisable as many on here have said. Having said that I think Griffin needs to learn what to say and what not to say. Especially after a frustrating loss like this one.

We are asking RG3 to do too much. Yes, I know he was the #2 pick - but just look at his pass attempts. They are pretty eye opening.

He has thrown the ball 372 total so far this year. He threw the ball 393 times ALL of last year. 

He will pass his year total from 2012 next game. 

372 is ~100 more attempts than Russell Wilson, who has played 1 more game...

As far as I'm concerned there are only 3 players on this entire team I'm not willing to part with- Griffin, Morris, and Garcon. (That includes defense.)

RG3 is not "the problem." When he was healthy he masked how bad our o-line is with mobility. Zero preseason. He's not as mobile right now and his mechanics are hurting from the rehab and the brace. The cap penalty and poor o-line acquisitions/drafts are now transparent.

What we are seeing now in Cam Newton we will see in Robert Griffin. A better team will help but I can't make any promises.

My untouchables:

RGIII, Morris, Garcon, Hall, Amerson, Reed...Everyone else is at risk of being outed. 

Archived