Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Intense Criticism of Robert Griffin III

Sticksboi05

Redskins fans who have been fans for years ( 20yrs and up) have the patience to allow the franchise QB to learn the NFL game. The reason we have patience is because we have suffered through countless number of years with no talent on the field. Or with minimal talent and no franchise QB ( Gibbs 2 years) . Griffin has already shown that he's one of the best players in the league. The things that he struggles with are nothing different than every other franchise QB struggles with. So now that we finally have the guy , as a fan for 30 years I'm not going to criticize him in his second year after leading us to the playoffs in his first. We've waited to long to overreact after half a season.

Nailed it, Redskins fans and the local media chew through QB's and coaches the same way a cheap prostitute goes through rubbers. If Griff deserves a solid 5 years before fans start turning on him, I can't believe he has only made it less than a season and a half before hearing this garbage.

Garcon is definitely a #1, Steve Smith was still putting up solid numbers in Cam's first 2 years, and if Crabtree was healthy Kaep would have one as well.

I still think your overall point stands.

If Garcon was a true number 1, the Colts would have paid him. Fact is he was a number 2 in Indy, and Peyton hated him, because he had bad hands

Nailed it, Redskins fans and the local media chew through QB's and coaches the same way a cheap prostitute goes through rubbers. If Griff deserves a solid 5 years before fans start turning on him, I can't believe he has only made it less than a season and a half before hearing this garbage.

i can, if you notice how certain qb's by race are treated then it wouldnt shock you

If Garcon was a true number 1, the Colts would have paid him. Fact is he was a number 2 in Indy, and Peyton hated him, because he had bad hands

i can, if you notice how certain qb's by race are treated then it wouldnt shock you

Pierre has made some very impressive catches, as for your second point, the color of your skin doesn't matter in DC see the long list of white QB's who have felt the wrath of Redskins fans.

Interesting analogy...

Let's take a look at some other QBs second years shall we?

Aaron Rodgers: On the bench

Tom Brady: On the bench

Tony Romo sits to pee: On the bench

Drew Brees: Mediocre (third year was even worse)

Peyton Manning: Pretty good--but he's the GOAT.

Matt Ryan: Huge step back from great 1st year

Eli Manning: ****ing terrible

Cam Newton: Terrible after a promising 1st year

Andy Dalton: Pretty good 2nd year--looks like he's coming back to earth now...*cough*Foles*cough*

Point is--let's take a breather and give the kid a chance to develop--not everyone is Peyton Manning.

Garcon has made some of the best catches in this league, period. The man is a threat to every defense he plays against, I would definitely call him a true #1 receiver.

He WAS a #2 but there's something called development.  He has improved in the areas that stopped him from being a #1 in Indy (also being behind Reggie Wayne didn't help) and he is NOW a #1.

Garcon has made some of the best catches in this league, period. The man is a threat to every defense he plays against, I would definitely call him a true #1 receiver.

Unfortunatly he is the only threat. 

Well at least now that Reed is out.

Watching the Saints/Falcons game last night. Brees and Ryan were really spreading the ball around.

Hopefully our Redskins will get to that point.

He WAS a #2 but there's something called development.  He has improved in the areas that stopped him from being a #1 in Indy (also being behind Reggie Wayne didn't help) and he is NOW a #1.

yea he makes catches, but he cant strecth the field like a AJ Green, Fitzgerald, or Megatron, he also isnt that big... sherman was punking him in the playoff game last year.

Garcon isnt a true number 1

I just want to debunk the notion that the Redskins mortgaged their future by trading two additional first round picks for RG3.  Sure we don't have one this coming year, but we do have picks in each of the other 6 rounds.  We should be able to find plenty of talent.  We do need some new talent and much better team management.

Of the 9 picks in the 2013 first round that we could have taken, only three are starters.  One of the picks has 2 tackles, another 4, another 5, for the year.  Heck, the guy picked third has 8 tackles.  The 7th pick has not played a down.  So, it was a crapshoot. 

During the 14 year period 1969 - 1982, the Redskins had a total of two first round picks:  Art Monk and Mark May.  They won the Super Bowl after the 1982 season.  

During the following 9 year period, 1983 - 1991, the Redskins had two first round picks:  Darrell Green and Bobby Wilson, and they won two Super Bowls:  in January, 1988 and 1992.  Wilson's career only last four years.  

That's four first round picks in 23 years, and three Super Bowl victories.   

Beginning in 1992, the Redskins had first round picks in six consecutive drafts:  Desmond Howard, Tom Carter, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Andre Johnson, and Kenard Lang.  No pro bowls for any of those Redskins; only 1 pro bowl for any of them in their entire careers.  The Redskins went 39-56-1 during that period.

Griffin led the Redskins to the playoffs in his first year, so we made out well in year one.  We couldn't have done it without him.  If he plays well on Monday night and we win, things may turn in our and his favor.  Having been a Redskins season ticket holder for 35 years, many of them lean, I will continue to support the team and him.  

We do need some new talent and better team management.  We don't need a new QB.  We have plenty of fair weather fans, and many will stay home on Monday.  Hopefully, the entire team and all the coaches will show up on Monday.  I will try to help them win.

Hail to the Redskins. 

Andy Dalton just came off a stretch where he threw 3 picks in 3 straight games, and recently only threw for 93 yards.... , and what about the qb in Miami, and Bradford... these are high draft picks that struggle a LOT, people forget Stafford has lost more games in his career than won, and he is playing with the best reciever in the NFL... Rg3, Cam, Geno, and recently Kaep dont have the weapons on offense that some of these other young qb's have... especially RG3, but it doesnt matter to the media

Firstly, Dalton has recieved plenty of criticism, people are calling for him or Jay Gruden to get the sack. Bradford is widely considered a flop and is injured for the rest of the season and Tannehills been overshadowed in Maimi and has showed enough to avoid criticism as a decent franchise QB (he was never considered that good of a prospect, similar to EJ Manuel). Nowhere near as much expectation and hype on Tannhehills shoulders as RG3

Oh Jesus Christ. Derrick Rose got roasted for being a me-first guy because he wouldn't come back and play.

Yeah, Griffin would be damned if he do damned if he don't.

Prime example his absence from pre-season. Almost everyone stated it would be stupid to put him in for meaningless games. Then three games into the season him missing "meaningless" games is the reason he's a bust this year and thrown the franchises future down the drain.

Its also funny how some are saying he should've come back mid season "to let his knee heal fully" or whatever excuse.

Interesting analogy...

Let's take a look at some other QBs second years shall we?

Aaron Rodgers: On the bench

Tom Brady: On the bench

Tony Romo sits to pee: On the bench

Drew Brees: Mediocre (third year was even worse)

Peyton Manning: Pretty good--but he's the GOAT.

Matt Ryan: Huge step back from great 1st year

Eli Manning: ****ing terrible

Cam Newton: Terrible after a promising 1st year

Andy Dalton: Pretty good 2nd year--looks like he's coming back to earth now...*cough*Foles*cough*

Point is--let's take a breather and give the kid a chance to develop--not everyone is Peyton Manning.

Ok, I'm probably the biggest Cam hater on the board, but to say he was "terrible" his 2nd year, is inaccurate. He put up similar numbers.

I am tired of personally criticizing RGIII- Yes he has been disappoinintg in all areas  but we (I hope) learn from this season.  Thre are three things a leader needs- courage, strength (which he shown both season);  the third is humility.  That he was he is currently learning.

Hail

I think a lot of people are guilty of trying to make their arguments about certain factors when the reality probably includes ALL of those factors.

Just talking about Griffin and the o-line, I've seen some blame the line, blame Griffin for holding the ball too long, blame Griffin for trusting the line too much, blame Griffin for not trusting his line enough. Seems to me it's all of those things at various times.

So, what I'm saying is most people are partially right but maybe aren't looking big picture enough.

Coaching - 2 man routes on play action passes - defenses are playing the pass more, linebackers are getting to their drops more often this year so Robert has to hold the ball - the line struggles and Griffin still gets pressured.

3rd down conversions are up because Griffin doesn't have to execute the fakes and can immediately get eyes on his reads (this improvement from last year is a good sign).

Innaccuracy - not having the offseason to work on mechanics hurt, as does a lack of confidence in his knee and o-line (not wanting to step up and plant in a pocket that often collapses quickly).

Route tree - I think Kyle is hesitant to call routes that Griffin didn't get a chance to practice much of in the offseason. This makes things simpler for the pass D, particularly since they aren't getting sucked to the the line on PA.

I could go on, but it would be redundant. My point is there are numerous issues and its seems completely wrong to try to point the blame at one (or even just a few) factor(s).

So, I think you're half right: I think he's pointing out the development of Griffing:

(Quote from the article:)

I didn't read anywhere where Cossell said anything about the style of offense, He's saying that he's behind because he missed the off-season.

Which is about as shocking as the sun rising in the east.

I don't know where you're getting the bit about our style of offense. 

Cosell has been talking about the simplicity of the offense since last year to the point of being a broken record (along with Jaws and Trent Dilfer) I've posted their comments a bunch of times in a bunch of different threads.

I think Griffin missing the offseason is one of the most over stated reasons for the offensive struggles.

Teams install the offense again during the season. Teams create gameplans specific to the opponents.

There is plenty of time over the course of a season to get a QB going. Heck, mid-season Mike McCoy created an offense that allowed Tim Tebow a D/C+ level QB talent to win games and take his team to the playoffs.

Our brilliant OC can't get an A+ level QB talent going?

Cosell has been talking about the simplicity of the offense since last year to the point of being a broken record (along with Jaws and Trent Dilfer) I've posted their comments a bunch of times in a bunch of different threads.

I think Griffin missing the offseason is one of the most over stated reasons for the offensive struggles.

Teams install the offense again during the season. Teams create gameplans specific to the opponents.

There is plenty of time over the course of a season to get a QB going. Heck, mid-season Mike McCoy created an offense that allowed Tim Tebow a D/C+ level QB talent to win games and take his team to the playoffs.

Our brilliant OC can't get an A+ level QB talent going?

Cosell had more to say, actually. Atlanta Skins Fan (remember him?) quoted it.

Explosive running is about 9th on the list of things that’s important for a quarterback to play in the NFL. The NFL game is a pocket quarterback game.

Mike Glennon is so far more advanced than RG3 playing NFL quarterback that it’s not even close. They shouldn’t even be in the same discussion. The Redskins do not have a drop-back pass game. They have a pass game that works off college backfield action. And if that isn’t effective for any number of reasons, they have nowhere to go, because they don’t have a drop-back pass game.

Now, ask yourself, “Why don’t they have a drop-back pass game?” I think the answer is pretty obvious: the quarterback. At some point, he’s going to need to learn a drop-back pass game.”

I really like that he went there. A few (and I mean few) people have been wondering about the drop-back game since RG3's rookie campaign.

I really like that he went there. A few (and I mean few) people have been wondering about the drop-back game since RG3's rookie campaign.

I'm hopeful that another offseason, and the addition of 1 or more linemen to hold the pocket will make a difference. The main reason I'm slightly optimistic is the improvement in 3rd down conversions - much of which has come (I think?) from straight drop-back passing.

Cosell had more to say, actually. Atlanta Skins Fan (remember him?) quoted it.

Mike Glennon isn't more advanced than Griffin. Mike Glennon completes a high percentage of passes because he immediately looks to his checkdown the second he gets the snap. He threw 50 passes in a game this year and averaged 5.3 Yards per attempt.

The guys who called Jason Campbell "Captain Checkdown" on this site would eat Mike Glennon alive for the way he plays football.

Question - most times I've seen Griffin roll out he's got a guy in his face... so to the people that want him out of the pocket more - is it different types of roll outs you want to see, or what?

I will take a stab at it. I want to see any and all types tried.

Specifically, I feel like with our mobile OL, there must be a way to get a blocker out there.

I like the sprint out from pistol / out pattern to the right. I think we have seen it.... what 3 times this year?

What about the zone stretch run plays?  Is there NO way possible to stretch that, and fake the hand off at the last moment, and pass at that point? Buy time for WRs to get deep.

I have always liked the QB waggle. Blame Madden

On bootlegs there is often a defender unblocked standing there. Pump him off his feet, or lob the ball over his head.  A healthy RG3 should be able to beat a DE and still get wide.

I suspect a few reverses / double reverse could help open things up.

There are likely concerns for why we don't see it more, but in the few times we do run him around, regardless of how it is being defended, think it has had decent success.

At least getting him out of the pocket, he has the easy throw away option. No grounding. Can tuck and run, the safety of the sideline is right there. I feel like in the pocket as much as he is of late, and seeing some of the bad throws, he is thinking too much. Concerned his left knee will get popped by the NT as he tries to step up.

I want to see pass / run options for him near the goal line.

When he is using his legs, sprinting, dare I think the game comes more naturally to him.  And conversely, more difficult for defenses. Believe me, they want him in the pocket.

Did you hear what NFL Network just reported, that RG3 asked that his bad plays not be shown in the meeting room?  Because apparently they didn't do that at Baylor.  Wow, just wow.  If this is true, this dude needs to get it together.  Thankfully, the request was denied by Shanahan.

Archived