Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Intense Criticism of Robert Griffin III

Sticksboi05

I will preface this by first stating, I was among many of those in the gameday thread criticizing RGIII most of the day for poor throws and bad decision making.

I feel most of the criticism was warranted given how god awful we looked against the second worst pass defense in the NFL.  It was abysmal aside from a couple TD throws.

However, I feel that some of the criticism needs to be addressed and put into context.

1. This game was not solely lost due to poor quarterback play.  How, even in post-game rage you can say that is crazy.  The defense (sandbags) let the Eagles offense (flood water) pour through for points repeatedly to open the game and it was apparent that as long as McCoy was healthy, it was going to be another one of "those days".  Playing from behind is not easy even in today's defense-less league.

2. RGIII is a 2nd year QB.  Now, regardless of what year he is in, everyone has a right to be outraged at that last throw, no doubt about it.  But, I think last year's seemingly now fluke run and read option sort of allowed him to circumvent the rookie growing pains that he is now going through as a 2nd year pro.  Because the read option was so devastating last year, people expected a juggernaut offense again but in the end he is still a 23 year old, 2nd year QB.

3. He is coming off major ACL surgery, so you know, that's going to have an effect.

4. The offensive line is not built to pass block, in fact, it flat out can't for more than a couple plays at a time.  Don't mistake literally having 3 seconds to throw with having even a half-assed pocket to throw from.

5. We have 1 legitimate WR.  We have 1 tight end that is active and that is a difference maker so let's not compared him to Stafford or Manning or Ryan or even Eli who has multiple targets who can be

consistently relied upon to catch the ball and get YAC.

P.S. - How many drives have started inside our own 5 this season because our special teams is one of the worst units probably in NFL history?  That doesn't help either.

Conclusion: All in all, it's been a disappointing year for RGIII and with him running his mouth all offseason, he certainly partially contributed to the backlash he is facing.  He has been inconsistent, often too inaccurate and has made poor decisions in terms of when to get rid of the ball.  No question about it.  But, he is not being set up to succeed with the guys around him, he does not have the supplemental pieces that other QBs in the league do, and he is coming off a major ACL surgery which forced him to use the time he would've had to train and improve and get in rhythm with his teammates, to get his knee ready to even get on an NFL field.

Given the circumstances and the roster we have, people were just unrealistic with their expectations heading into the season, especially for RGIII.  In reality, looking at this roster, coupled with the coaches we've entrusted with using it to the best of its ability, 3-7 is exactly where you'd expect us to be.

You are not wrong Sticks, the problem is in today's NFL your QB has to play at an elite level to have a chance and right now not only is RG3 not elite, he doesn't appear to be anywhere close. Yes this team has other flaws, but nobody is gonna have Pro Bowlers at every position. You gotta have a QB who is consistent and RG3 is anything but.

And yes, he IS open to criticism. When you talk as much as he talked in the off-season, you open yourself up to massive criticism. RG3 isn't the only issue but he is by far the BIGGEST issue. He is more or less the only variable from last year. Everything else from last year is about the same if not better but the QB play ranged from very good to elite last year, right now it's been mostly mediocre with stretches of good play but more stretches of terrible play.

Now, I've said in other threads how I feel this team would have a better record if Cousins was the starter. Cousins doesn't have RG's pure talent but he's a better fit for this scheme. Now let me say this: I am NOT saying RG3 should be benched. No, he should start the rest of the way. He needs snaps. The only way this team becomes a contender is if RG3 gets it. Cousins may be good but I don't think he'll ever be great, at best he's Matt Schaub and it's very difficult to win a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub. RG3 could be Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young, but he could also easily be the next Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell. But we have to know for sure and that means he keeps on playing for better or worse.

2nd year doesnt seem to be hurting ... Luck, Foles, Wilson, etc

Those guys are SO MUCH BETTER than RG0

The way the Eagles offense is constructed, you could put almost any QB in there right now and they'd have success.  Also, Luck has a line that pass protects and until Wayne went down had a vastly superior set of receivers.  To no surprise, when he lost his #1 offensive weapon, the Colts got massacred.

2nd year doesnt seem to be hurting ... Luck, Foles, Wilson, etc

Those guys are SO MUCH BETTER than RG0

Luck still has too many WTF throws has looked better but he hasn't exactly beat world beaters. As for Wilson I still maintain he is one of the most overrated players in the league. Way too many times I see him run around in circles then dump off to his RB. He also has one of the best Olines in the league as well as a top 3 defense 

The way the Eagles offense is constructed, you could put almost any QB in there right now and they'd have success. Also, Luck has a line that pass protects and until Wayne went down had a vastly superior set of receivers. To no surprise, when he lost his #1 offensive weapon, the Colts got massacred.

Yeah no surprise Foles is number #1 is ypa and Vick was #4. Foles has nearly all day to pass most downs the last few weeks.

Right now RG3 needs to put in a TON of work in the off-season on being a real pro QB. There is more to it than arm strength and mobility. He just looks so helter skelter back there.

Watching the Saints now, look at how Brees moves in the pocket. He slides left and right, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws darts. Watching RG3 play is like watching my little cousins play Madden. As soon as they see their first receiver is covered they immediately run. RG3 just doesn't look like a pro QB. Now last year we didn't really notice because 1: he was a rook 2: he was so successful, but now the book is out and Ds have figured out how to play him. He's basically still a college QB?

Can he improve? Sure, but it's hard to learn brand new skill sets at the professional level and that's basically what RG3 has to do. He is simply inept at the finer points of pro pocket passing.

He's not the only reason we lost today. But as I've said in the "coaching cost us this one (I call COMPLETE bs)" RGIII this year has been the major limiting factor in our offense. I take a guy like Garcon very seriously when he came into the season excited about our offense and then when he comes out and says our passing game sucks - it does and it's the reason we don't have an elite offense and while the O-line definitely deserves it's share of the blame, RGIII is honestly the bigger part of the problem in our passing game right now. We have pretty elite talent in Garcon and Reed, if you disagree fine but they are, or are close to league leaders at their position. We have elite talent in Alfred Morris and an outstanding running game. But RGIII is lost right now as a passer. He holds the offense back. We are and should live and die with him - we mortgaged the future to get him and I think in a few years it will be worth it. But right now, I'm not exaggerating when I say he sucks as a passer in terms of his mind game. He can't read the D, he has zero ability to progress through receivers past #1, and he's been pretty inaccurate this year. On top of that, while staring down his #1 receiver, he has very little concept of a clock in his head. Any play where his #1 isn't wide open instantly becomes a busted play/scramble drill because our line can't pass block for long and RGIII sure as hell isn't going to see any other receivers regardless of whether or not they are open. 

Right now RG3 needs to put in a TON of work in the off-season on being a real pro QB. There is more to it than arm strength and mobility. He just looks so helter skelter back there.

Watching the Saints now, look at how Brees moves in the pocket. He slides left and right, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws darts. Watching RG3 play is like watching my little cousins play Madden. As soon as they see their first receiver is covered they immediately run. RG3 just doesn't look like a pro QB. Now last year we didn't really notice because 1: he was a rook 2: he was so successful, but now the book is out and Ds have figured out how to play him. He's basically still a college QB?

Can he improve? Sure, but it's hard to learn brand new skill sets at the professional level and that's basically what RG3 has to do. He is simply inept at the finer points of pro pocket passing.

He's had one offseason as a pro QB and had to spend it rehabbing his knee instead of improving his QB ability. 

Sorry, RG3 is not above criticism. He played an awful game. Stop blaming the defense. It works both ways. Offense did NOTHING for THREE QUARTERS. They also need to help out the defense. Even if the defense was pitching a shutout through three quarters, the game would still be a tie. This was against one of the worst pass defenses yet he did nothing. He missed WIDE OPEN players. He has no accuracy throwing to the sideline and misses way too many plays. 

I love that Drew Brees is your example, a guy who sucked so bad that the chargers drafted Philip Rivers to replace him. But then this amazing thing happened, he developed. Who woulda thunk it, a young QB takes time to develop. I bet the chargers wish they would've waited now lmao

You are not wrong Sticks, the problem is in today's NFL your QB has to play at an elite level to have a chance and right now not only is RG3 not elite, he doesn't appear to be anywhere close. Yes this team has other flaws, but nobody is gonna have Pro Bowlers at every position. You gotta have a QB who is consistent and RG3 is anythin............................ut he could also easily be the next Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell. But we have to know for sure and that means he keeps on playing for better or worse.

Total claptrap. Foles is not elite, Alex smith is not elite, Russel wilson is not elite, Kaepernick is not elite, Stafford is not elite, good yes, elite? No. Defense wins championships. If you are a real football fan then you know that. Hell, Eli isn't really elite.

There are 4 elite QBs in this game

Rodgers

Brees

Brady

Manning.

They have won 3 superbowls combined. (Brady was not elite when the Pats were winning SBs)

Elite QB play is more about compiling a great W/L record but it takes great Defense to win SBs.

Yeah no surprise Foles is number #1 is ypa and Vick was #4. Foles has nearly all day to pass most downs the last few weeks.

You are seeing the same thing I am. He could pitch a tent and roast some marshmellows back there. He has all day to throw most of the time and when he doesnt it doesnt really matter. In controast Robert gets inconsistency from his line and when you marry that with his inconsistant accuracy you have real problems scoring points.

I think folks are understimating how much him missing the offseason has affected his growth.  You simply cant compare him to other second year qbs because they had the time to practice in the system all offseason, RG3 didnt.  Add to that the fact that because our scheme couldn't really progress defenses have adjusted to it, and the fact that our o-line cant pass block and you have where we are today.  Maybe had we had some cap space we could have added someone to help the line, but alas, we had to deal with that as well.  I feel like we have alot of work to do.  and im not that happy with the coaching staff.  However, i think they have played the hand they were dealt ok.  But its obvious we need some additions to this team to get better.  I look forward to adding some additional talent and seeing where we are next season.  

Hell of an OP Sticks. Should make for an interesting time as the drive-by "Griffin sucks" crowd jumps in.

Oh, they're already here. :popcorn:

Along with the drive-by Griffin apologists. 

The criticism lies with the fact that he does not have NFL mechanics.  He had at least 5 overthrows today caused by his unwillingness to set his feet and step into a throw. 

No point in going further with Griffin.  His mechanics are horrible and he appears to have little or no desire to correct them.  Let's see what Cousins has before the Skins lose him.

Mechanics are about repetition, it's not something you change during the season. It's something you drill in during the offseason and make it automatic without having to think about it.

Yeah all 3 of those guys are coming off a 2nd knee surgery. Judging by your posts you are an idiot please shut up.

Calling people an idiot is a little harsh, considering Griffin [ who is no longer recognized as RGIII by me ] opened his pie hole and said i'm ready and all in week 1.

Well we are seeing he's clearly not. If the surgery was THAT much of a problem then he should have been benched, but because of his parents getting involved and a fan base who couldn't wait to put him in the Peyton Manning bracket, he sure has disappointed everyone.

He SHOULD be benched as of today.

Why?

Well, if he is this supposed 'future QB' then he should take that time by further getting his mind in frame, study the playbook, get on the same page with receivers in practice and offseason, and NOT risk another injury to his already multi-injured legs.

He stays in next week, gets his knee injured and knocked out for the season again, then its the same crap all over again, and frankly the fans deserve better than to be put through his little soap opera of Subway commercials and rehab documentary that he did.

He missed Paulsen on the first drive - easy throw that would have been a TD

Thereafter, he turtled up in a little shell and refused to throw the ball.  I was having flashbacks to John Beck's infamous Buffalo game where he took 9 sacks.  He was turning down open receivers to either take a sack or try to run for 4-5 yards.

He missed an open Moss and Robinson on fairly difficult throws that each nevertheless would have won the game.

The loss is on him.

The defense wasn't great but they buckled down when it counted.  24 points against the Eagles is a best case scenario.

1. Defense held the Eagles to 24 points. Considering the offense couldn't score until the second half, that's pretty damn good. Defense was good enough.

2. So is Andrew Luck. So is Ryan Tannehill. So is Russel Wilson. So is Nick Foles. All of them are better than Robert Griffin III. It's painfully obvious that Griffin is unable to read a defense and pass from the pocket. He has no pocket presence and holds on to the ball too long. These are all things he should be getting better at, but is not.

3. It should not have an effect on his knowledge of the playbooks, reading defenses, and receiver route trees. And, honestly, it shouldn't affect the clock in his head telling him to run or get rid of the ball.

4. The only legit complaint. Shanahan has failed to develop an offensive line. His arrogance continues as he tries to take players that nobody wanted and put them in his system. But still, Griffin hasn't developed any sort of pocket presence to avoid the hits he takes.

5. We have a very good receiver, a very good tight end, a RB who catches well out of the backfield, and two or three other receivers who are good enough. They could be Megatron and if you throw it to high for him, he ain't going to catch it. Griffin was overthrowing receivers by 10+ yards today.

Conclusion: This game is on Robert Griffin III. He has failed to develop as a passer. He has not learned how to protect himself. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason and, frankly, I'm beginning to doubt he's capable of running the kind of system that is demanded of NFL QBs.

Archived