Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Intense Criticism of Robert Griffin III

Sticksboi05

Do you think our defense stops that last drive from the Pats?

Well, exactly.

Our approach in this offseason will dictate my excitement level for the season. If we start fresh on defense and add honest-to-God TALENT, I'll be thrilled for 2014.

Listening to the talk shows, media and fans, it's an absolute travesty the treatment RG3 is getting...you would think he's the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

Let me repeat.....he has no defense...no special teams....sub standard o-line...sub standard receiving core....very questionable passing scheme.....yet it's RG3's fault...unreal

Having just watched the Panthers beat the Patriots, why can't Griffin follow Newton and our team follow theirs? Newton was a weapon that didn't translate into much success for a couple years. Newton had a very good rookie season using his legs and continued to be up and down in his second year. He also led a very potent rushing attack and is seemingly experiencing a situation where the game is slowing down for him.

We have similar characteristics with our team and even had more success in Griffin's first year. Maybe with some additions this off season and more development, we can evolve into a solid, contending team?

Because no QB has ever gotten better after a sophomore slump where he still increased his yardage output by over 1,000 yards and put more TDs on the board than INTs. While playing with a defense that set team records for futility and special teams that were worthless.

It has never happened. Ever, Ever.

Because no QB has ever gotten better after a sophomore slump where he still increased his yardage output by over 1,000 yards and put more TDs on the board than INTs. While playing with a defense that set team records for futility and special teams that were worthless.

It has never happened. Ever, Ever.

I guess you agree then? As bad as it looks right now, we could be closer than it feels to being a decent team.

2nd year doesnt seem to be hurting ... Luck, Foles, Wilson, etc

Those guys are SO MUCH BETTER than RG0

Luck and Wilson both played in a pro style offense in college, not sure about Foles, but he has an awesome OL, with a couple ood receiving targets as well. Also there isn't much tape on Foles yet. Remember, RG3 played really well his first full season also.

Also not to be taken lightly is the fact that all three of the qbs you mentioned had an offseason of training. They didn't have to focus on rehab.

??? Brees was great with the Chargers. They offered him 50 million to stay and he turned them down to go to the Saints.

His first 2 years he sucked, then they drafted Bree's and he flat out became a baller keeping Rivers on the bench for two or three years until his injury. If he was any good his first two years, the bolts wouldn't have drafted Rivers in 2014.

This has been pointed out before, but his total stats are somewhat misleading.  RGIII's stats are bolstered by games like yesterday when he was awful in the 1st half and then plays better in the 2nd half, but still not well enough.

Luck's ratings by half are 87.2 and 86.7

RGIII"s ratings are 78.1 and 86.9.

The other thing is Luck's high has been higher than RGIII and his low's not nearly as low as RGIII's, and he's been more consistent.

My issue with RGIII is where is the improvement.  As GHH said in this thread, this game was as bad as any game he's played (Honestly, though, the Denver game might have been worse).  I mean he looks more comfortable running and stuff out there, but other than that, in terms of looking like a real pro QB out there, he doesn't appear to be any better than week 1.

Ok -- so Robert's had a bad year so far.  He's played worse overall than Wilson, Luck, Foles, McCown,...etc,...who else should we include???  So what.  The team as a whole stinks, what's your point?

Did you really think considering what happened at the end of last season that he would play exponentially better than what did last year??  Really?  Give me an F'ing break.  I'm not gonna rehash, you know the details as well as anyone,...at least I hope you do.

Considering the extenuating circumstances going into this season I fully expected him to take a step back.  Oh, a young QB is struggling in his 2nd year,....say it ain't so.  What I didn't expect was for a good number of fans be calling for Robert to be benched at this point in the season.  Unreal.  If anything fans should have been clamoring for RG3 to be benched at the beginning of the year because it was clear he came back too soon.  

I'll say again - my biggest wish for the remainder of the season is that Robert makes it out of this season without a serious injury.  He needs to play his way through this and learn as much as he can.  Then this off-season he can have what is considered a typical off-season for a young QB to work on the fundamentals of his game so that he and we can see the progression that everyone expects. 

interesting all of this ... seems to be at least 3 seperate arguments running in the threads ... is Griffin playing poorly? ... why Griffin is playing poorly? ... and is Griffin playing poorly because that's typical of 2nd year QBs?  The OP though posits that there are other substantial reasons why the Skins are bad and basically that Griffin shouldn't be so highly criticized.  1) The Team is BAD:  yes the team is bad and that includes Griffin this year; 2) We were spoiled by the success of the read offense and need to factor in Griffin is only in his second year:  2nd year or not he is not playing as well as he did last season and most notably his passing accuracy which was a hallmark and his decision making appear to have regressed significantly.  Note also that the juggernaut read offense is a no show this season, and that the rest of the offense doesn't appear to be notably worse than it was last season; 3) Knee surgery:  that's an explanation but shouldn't be an excuse.  If he wasn't ready he should have been given time to be ready.  This is problematic and invites questions about Cousins' abilities etc.  My main concern is that he produced that damn video about how he was ready and the coaches would be wacked if they didn't start him as soon as he arrived.  Bad form ... very bad form;  4) The offensive line is not built to pass block:  right ... and it wasn't any better at pass blocking last season; 5) 1 Legit WR and 1 Legit TE:  I think its reasonable to say that our receiving capabilities are better this season than last season ... Garcon for every game, Reed better than Davis, Paulsen proven catching ability (forcing coverage if nothing else), Helu's return, Robinson's proven big play catch ability (forcing coverage if nothing else), Hankerson marginally better than last season, etc.; 6)  ST sufferage: yup its a long way to go just about every time.  7)  Griffin Running his mouth:  This is probably the reason why this whole thing is a major debate.  Bad form wrapped in saying all the right things ... except he also says some of the wrong things.  Trying to box the coaching staff in to start on arrival with that damn video and more recently saying things leaders don't say (e.g., calling out the coaches, noting its not "just" him, etc.).  Personally I think if he hadn't made noise about being ready and all in for Game 1, and if he didn't find ways to seperate himself from the team and organization in response to failure and criticism, that most folks would be standing behind him and giving him the benefit of the doubt.  If we had heard a steady stream of he was seriously injured and its a tough road back ... he's the leader and if the team doesn't win he hasn't done a good enough job ... fan attitudes might be a little more forgiving.

He's regressed ... He's making poorer decisions and poorer throws (increased interception %, wasted timeouts, huge sack losses, etc.). Luck, Wilson haven't regressed as much if at all (really that's got to be a seperate thread).  Kaepernick has regressed.

Someone should tell him to take the responsibility, accept the blame.  It doesn't mean its his fault, we all know or think we know where the blame lies, but it would go a long way to beleiving he's a team leader and potentially future all-pro type QB.

Does he deserve so much criticism ... of course he does.  Seriously ... he's the starting QB for the Redskins ... one of the, if not the most QB obsessed fan base in the NFL.  He in the position that gets so much of the credit for wins ... so naturally he's in the position that will get the blame.  Considering the impact the QB has on the game and the salary cap % that goes into the position ... I think the answer noting all of the mitigating circumstances is ... YES.

Gosh, that Cam Newton sure is developing into a hell of a quarterback isn't he?

You'd have never known it in his second year.. all these same questions, all the same criticisms, including the personal shots on leadership, attitude, relationship with coaches. etc.

Oh, wait.. this thread is about Robert and the problems he's having in his second year,,  accuracy, skills, attitude, leadership, relationships.

My mistake. 

~Bang

You'd have never known it in his second year.. all these same questions, all the same criticisms, including the personal shots on leadership, attitude, relationship with coaches. etc.

Oh, wait.. this thread is about Robert and the problems he's having in his second year,,  accuracy, skills, attitude, leadership, relationships.

My mistake. 

~Bang

hope Griffin has a similar 3rd season improvement

Problem I see with RG3 is he hasnt grown from last year.  That could be from the knee injury (doubt it), or just a lack of overall talent around him, but hes doing the same things he was last year and probably has his whole life.

Things to fix this off season

1. Learn how to read Defenses pre snap.

2. Stop throwing off your MFing back foot.

Thats all I want this off season, do that and we will see progress.

We criticize Griffin on the throw to the back of the endzone. Does anyone criticize Brady on that last play for under throwing the ball to Gronkowski?? If Brady throws that ball better the P.I call stands, or Gronk catches it.  

I cant believe u really used Brady and compared him to RG3.  Slow down lil doggie.

We criticize Griffin on the throw to the back of the endzone. Does anyone criticize Brady on that last play for under throwing the ball to Gronkowski?? If Brady throws that ball better the P.I call stands, or Gronk catches it.  

Wow, I don't have words. Did you compare RG3 to a 3 time Super Bowl champion and future Hall of Famer?

I'm criticizing RG3 for the many throws to open receivers that he didn't make at all.

There's really no need to defend RG3 from all these Skins fans that truly despise this guy. The fact is that they can rant and scream all they want about why they don't personally like RG3 because he's a diva, he's a runner, he's black, whatever. They can cry on and on about how they wish Kirk Cousins was the QB but the fact is that with the price the Skins paid for him and the amount of marketing and media attention he brings to the Skins, HE"S NOT GOING ANYWHERE! Get over it haters, he will be the QB of the Washington Redskins for the forseeable future. I've already seen this play out down here in Charlotte where a lot of ignorant fans and media were calling for Cam Newton's head last year and saying the same things being said about RG3 now. Fast Forward to this season and the Panthers help Cam Newton by giving him an actual Defense, the Panthers have won 6 games in a row and those same fans have basically been forced to just sit there and shut up about Newton now.

My mistake. 

~Bang

Exactly.  Add to that the lack of an offseason and I think we'll see a different QB next year.  

I still think he'll improve this year the more he plays.  Too late for us this year unfortunately.

There's really no need to defend RG3 from all these Skins fans that truly despise this guy. The fact is that they can rant and scream all they want about why they don't personally like RG3 because he's a diva, he's a runner, he's black, whatever. They can cry on and on about how they wish Kirk Cousins was the QB but the fact is that with the price the Skins paid for him and the amount of marketing and media attention he brings to the Skins, HE"S NOT GOING ANYWHERE! Get over it haters, he will be the QB of the Washington Redskins for the forseeable future. I've already seen this play out down here in Charlotte where a lot of ignorant fans and media were calling for Cam Newton's head last year and saying the same things being said about RG3 now. Fast Forward to this season and the Panthers help Cam Newton by giving him an actual Defense, the Panthers have won 6 games in a row and those same fans have basically been forced to just sit there and shut up about Newton now.

Last year he deserved much of it ... this year he got much better and there's little to criticize.  That's the way it works.  This year Griffin deserves much of it ... next year ... is another year ... we'll see when we see.

*I hope you're not saying people are critical of Griffin because he's black.  I'm sure there are racists out there somewhere but I haven't seen anything in here to support that kind of claim.

The hilarious thing all along was Donovan McNabb was right, he said if "RGIII struggles half of the fans are going to turn on you that's what they love to do in DC"

HAHAHAHAHA

The anti RGIII crowd are so foolish this reminds me of the charger fans who wanted to get rid of Drew Brees sooooooooo badly especially after he hurt his shoulder and now they have Phillip Rivers  a good QB but the saints now have Drew Brees (Hall of fame QB) and a lombardi trophy. hahaha

RGIII is 23 have some patience or we can always watch RGIII go home to dallas and beat on us for the rest of our lives.

McNabb is dead wrong.  There is a huge difference between not being satisfied and capturing the obvious (not a great year) in "turning" on Griffin, and loathing a primadonna who refused to work hard, get with the program, run the plays, etc in "turning" on McNabb.  I know some are saying play Cousins, I suppose someone has said the Skins should dump him but most are just not satisfied with his game lately ... confident it can be better and want it to be ASAP.

I'm not seeing people turning on Griffin ... only people not happy with how he's been playing and concerned about a few (few total and few compared to the many other things) he says that hint at an unwillingness to accept the blame.  If we can't be underwhelmed by his performance when its bad or not up to his potential ... then putting him on a pedestal  him is ridiculous.

Archived