Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Intense Criticism of Robert Griffin III

Sticksboi05

You want intense criticism? Listen to Greg Cosell.

"Mike Glennon is so far more advanced than RGIII playing NFL quarterback that it's not even close," Cosell told WFHS-FM in Tampa this week. "They shouldn't even be in the same discussion."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285588/article/is-mike-glennon-already-a-better-qb-than-rgiii

That's amazing to hear, already. How many games has Glennon even played?

People seem to listen to Greg Cosell. I certainly remember the name and how much people enjoyed when he was hyping up Cousins and Griffin last year.

It's time for people to truly understand that it takes a fair amount of time to return to tip-top form after an catastrophic injury. Griffin didn't suddenly forget how to throw a football, play in the pocket, go through his progressions etc. Even though his knee is 100% it doesn't mean his confidence in said knee is 100%.

The reason I do not get my panties in a bunch or make stupid, outlandish statements like Mr. Cosell chose to do is because I expected Griffin to struggle. It's more than just being healthy, it also involves regaining your confidence, trusting your OL even more, making up for lost off-season and dealing with a huge knee brace. Next season Griffin will come out firing on all cylinders and all of this stupid criticism will suddenly disappear. All the guys trashing him will claim they always loved him using tough love as an excuse. It's inevitable.

A lot of you guys need to do what I do. STOP watching to BSPN! STOP reading sports Press and STOP listening to sports call in shows! It's all designed to make you angry and keep you listening and watching and give a big audience to their advertisers. Turn it all off and just watch the games on Sundays. All of this B.arbara S.treisand is because '3 is one of the NFL's biggest stars AND we're losing. A lot.  This is nothing that a few wins won't take care of!

It's time for people to truly understand that it takes a fair amount of time to return to tip-top form after an catastrophic injury. Griffin didn't suddenly forget how to throw a football, play in the pocket, go through his progressions etc. Even though his knee is 100% it doesn't mean his confidence in said knee is 100%.

We all wanted Griff to return to form "by week 5" just like Adrian Peterson did. But that was a little too simplistic. Quarterback is just a much more difficult position than RB, and for a QB to return to form after such a major surgery -- that just a few years ago would have ended his career -- could take him until next season.

You want intense criticism? Listen to Greg Cosell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285588/article/is-mike-glennon-already-a-better-qb-than-rgiii

That's amazing to hear, already. How many games has Glennon even played?

he started in week 4 and what BS , its true when things are going bad we get hit with **** from all sides 

I don't think its shocking or amazing or piling on. Its true. Going back to last year there were discussion about how Griffin is developing as an 'nfl QB' meaning a rhythm drop back passer (anticipation thrower). Its speaks as much to the style of passing game we have and the overall development of Griffin as an 'nfl QB'.

Lets keep in mind that Cosell considered Griffin a better prospect then Luck. So he's not saying that Glennon is more talented, only that he's further along in his development and there is a huge difference between the being further along and be more talented.

For me and maybe I'm alone on this but this is more of a criticism  of Griffin's development/our style of offense then it is a direct criticism of Griffin.

I don't think its shocking or amazing or piling on. Its true. Going back to last year there were discussion about how Griffin is developing as an 'nfl QB' meaning a rhythm drop back passer (anticipation thrower). Its speaks as much to the style of passing game we have and the overall development of Griffin as an 'nfl QB'.

Lets keep in mind that Cosell considered Griffin a better prospect then Luck. So he's not saying that Glennon is more talented, only that he's further along in his development and there is a huge difference between the being further along and be more talented.

For me and maybe I'm alone on this but this is more of a criticism of Griffin's development/our style of offense then it is a direct criticism of Griffin.

from a development standpoint it may be true, the problem is, griffins missed offseason hampered his ability to grow more quickly this season. He's still basically a rookie learning the fundamentals of a drop back passer. There's certain parts of griffins game that make his overall game much better but I don't necessarily disagree. It's going to take time because he's never been in this style of offense before but this doesn't go against the fact that his ceiling is 10x that of glennon and greater than any qb that's played the game. It's just a matter of reps and when/how he adjusts but the ceiling is as high as it can get

You make some of the most ridiculous comments.

Luck is actually overhyped big time

Cam, and Wilson are both better than him

RG3 even in a bad year is beating Luck in completion %, yards per attempt, rushing yards, and passing yards... Luck wins games, yea but so does Alex Smit

Griffin got caught up in all the attention and hype after his recovery and return.  He ran his mouth a little too much, and hopefully it will be a lesson learned going forward.  He just needs to keep his nose to the grindstone and let his play do most of the talking, at least as far as the media is concerned.      

na its the media attacking a black athlete and trying to bury him( rg3), they tried to do this with Cam, and are now doing it with RG3, and Kaep....  this whole offseason the media was focused on trying to stop the read option....( why is that). Turns out most of the qbs are still having success.. they are trying to bury RG3( because he wont conform and be a loud mouth thug like Vick) The NFL is looking for te next Vick to make money for them, the problem is not only does RG3 not identify with 90% of the blacks in this country, he plays nothing like Vick, and is a way more accurate thrower of the ball when healthy

na its the media attacking a black athlete and trying to bury him( rg3), they tried to do this with Cam, and are now doing it with RG3, and Kaep....  this whole offseason the media was focused on trying to stop the read option....( why is that). Turns out most of the qbs are still having success.. they are trying to bury RG3( because he wont conform and be a loud mouth thug like Vick) The NFL is looking for te next Vick to make money for them, the problem is not only does RG3 not identify with 90% of the blacks in this country, he plays nothing like Vick, and is a way more accurate thrower of the ball when healthy

Even tho I will say Rg3 ran his mouth too much and got this attention on himself. There is some truth to what you said. I noticed too that they always seem to focus more on black qbs struggles than whites. I have never seen this kind of attention on Andy Dalton or Sam Bradford..even when Andrew luck struggles they will blame his offensive line. Luck had some of the worst stats last season but yet they wanted to give him the ROY over rg3 because he passed for more yards and led his to to game winning drives after his turnovers put his team in the position in the first place.

Its like God fobid RG3 you cannot struggle playing the qb position because if you do we will be on you like a cheetah on a gazelle.

Even tho I will say Rg3 ran his mouth too much and got his attention on himself. There is some truth to what you said. I noticed too that they always seem to focus more on black qbs struggles than whites. I have never seen this kind of attention on Andy Dalton or Sam Bradford..even when Andrew luck struggles they will blame his offensive line. Luck had some of the worst stats last season but yet they wanted to give him the ROY over rg3 because he passed for more yards and led his to to game winning drives after his turnovers put his team in the position in the first place.

Its like God fobid RG3 you cannot struggle playing the qb position because if you do we will be on you like a cheetah on a gazelle.

Andy Dalton just came off a stretch where he threw 3 picks in 3 straight games, and recently only threw for 93 yards.... , and what about the qb in Miami, and Bradford... these are high draft picks that struggle a LOT, people forget Stafford has lost more games in his career than won, and he is playing with the best reciever in the NFL... Rg3, Cam, Geno, and recently Kaep dont have the weapons on offense that some of these other young qb's have... especially RG3, but it doesnt matter to the media

Andy Dalton just came off a stretch where he threw 3 picks in 3 straight games, and recently only threw for 93 yards.... , and what about the qb in Miami, and Bradford... these are high draft picks that struggle a LOT, people forget Stafford has lost more games in his career than won, and he is playing with the best reciever in the NFL... Rg3, Cam, Geno, and recently Kaep dont have the weapons on offense that some of these other young qb's have... especially RG3, but it doesnt matter to the media

Isn't it funny how mediocre Matt Stafford and Matty Ice in Atlanta look without their receivers..Calvin Johnson missed one game this season..it was the game against the packers...and stafford was horrible in that game. Matty Ice has been cold this season without julio jones..but they never talk about how rg3, cam geno, kaep never have a number 1 wide receiver..they keep bringing up how teams have figured out the read option...when in truth teams are running the read option less and less.

Isn't it funny how mediocre Matt Stafford and Matty Ice in Atlanta look without their receivers..Calvin Johnson missed one game this season..it was the game against the packers...and stafford was horrible in that game. Matty Ice has been cold this season without julio jones..but they never talk about how rg3, cam geno, kaep never have a number 1 wide receiver..they keep bringing up how teams have figured out the read option...when in truth teams are running the read option less and less.

Garcon is definitely a #1, Steve Smith was still putting up solid numbers in Cam's first 2 years, and if Crabtree was healthy Kaep would have one as well.

I still think your overall point stands.

For me and maybe I'm alone on this but this is more of a criticism  of Griffin's development/our style of offense then it is a direct criticism of Griffin.

So, I think you're half right: I think he's pointing out the development of Griffing:

(Quote from the article:)

Cosell is one of the best analysts in the country because of his experience and dedication to watching film. He's not saying that Glennon will have a better career than Griffin, just that Glennon's development is well ahead at the moment. Griffin's lack of offseason practice after his torn ACL has showed up on the field this season.

I didn't read anywhere where Cossell said anything about the style of offense, He's saying that he's behind because he missed the off-season.

Which is about as shocking as the sun rising in the east.

I don't know where you're getting the bit about our style of offense. 

Even tho I will say Rg3 ran his mouth too much and got this attention on himself. There is some truth to what you said. I noticed too that they always seem to focus more on black qbs struggles than whites. I have never seen this kind of attention on Andy Dalton or Sam Bradford..even when Andrew luck struggles they will blame his offensive line. Luck had some of the worst stats last season but yet they wanted to give him the ROY over rg3 because he passed for more yards and led his to to game winning drives after his turnovers put his team in the position in the first place.

I get your point, but explain Mark Sanchez...

I truly believe if RG3's hype machine wasn't so efficient, the attention would not have been as intense. The other points about Bradford and Dalton can be negated by the fact that they are in markets that do not drive ratings. 

The more people love you, the more people will hate you. That's life. 

And last year we LOVED us some Robert Griffin. Kid just has to weather the storm and get better. Its over stated, but win and this all goes away. Hopefully he is learning all of this. 

Hes a tough Kid, he will be fine, I hope. 

Archived