Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Still think I might a few months, for them to sort out the inevitable first batch factory issues

I've had every console at launch since PS2 other than Wii U, and the only one that ever had issues was the 360 with the RRoD. 

I'm willing to roll the dice.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

I was born under a bad sign when it comes to electronics. 

You are starting to sound like bama ass EB on the Junkies now.

After he always cries about his Apple stuff breaking on him, now he's crying about his goPro stuff breaking on him all the time.

If your electronics keep breaking on you, chances are you're doing something wrong.

13 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So apparently,  Konami is bringing MGS to PC, as well is laying the groundwork for an MGS6 of done kind, on PS5. Potential is high for a remake/retcon of one or both the first 2 Metal Gears

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/09/23/konami-goes-metal-gear-crazy-mg-mgs-mgs2-coming-to-pc-mgs-remake-rumored-for-playstation-5/

Do MGS people even work for Konami anymore?  I thought they moved their business model to a 100% Pachinko-based model.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Do MGS people even work for Konami anymore?  I thought they moved their business model to a 100% Pachinko-based model.

No clue what's going on over there. I basically buried them too, after the Kojima fallout, and them steering clear of anything resembling console gaming. Rumours have been coming out fast and furious for a minute now, though, from Silent Hill, to Castlevania, now Metal Gear. Too much smoke for it not to be something big, at this point.

I’m confused with all of this preorder non sense.

Isnt a preorder generally done to gauge interest, done far enough out from launch, to determine quantity needed upon launch and to make sure you meet it?

How then do preorders sell out? 

So strange.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’m confused with all of this preorder non sense.

Isnt a preorder generally done to gauge interest, done far enough out from launch, to determine quantity needed upon launch and to make sure you meet it?

How then do preorders sell out? 

So strange.

This has not been the case for consoles for about 2 decades now.  

The demand is much higher than the amount of consoles that can be manufactured before they release them.

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

This has not been the case for consoles for about 2 decades now.  

The demand is much higher than the amount of consoles that can be manufactured before they release them.

If they did preorders a year in advance, like many products, they’d have a better shot.

29 minutes ago, purbeast said:

They don't start manufacturing consoles a year in advance so that is simply not a realistic possibility.

Wouldn’t have to. Can notify suppliers of demand and make sure you have the adequate material to build the necessary quantities.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t have to. Can notify suppliers of demand and make sure you have the adequate material to build the necessary quantities.

I guess you aren't understanding.

They are bottle necked by the amount of consoles they can manufacture by launch.

They will have X amount of consoles at launch.

There are 10X people who want them.

Therefore 9X people won't get them, and X will be sold as preorders.

They can't just magically make more consoles. 

They aren't sitting on warehouses full of unsold consoles at launch that just aren't being distributed.

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I guess you aren't understanding.

They are bottle necked by the amount of consoles they can manufacture by launch.

They will have X amount of consoles at launch.

There are 10X people who want them.

Therefore 9X people won't get them, and X will be sold as preorders.

They can't just magically make more consoles. 

They aren't sitting on warehouses full of unsold consoles at launch that just aren't being distributed.

I understand completely what you’re saying. You can’t manufacture a ton of consoles in a short time due to production lines, material, labor, and probably a fairly rigorous quality control process.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I understand completely what you’re saying. You can’t manufacture a ton of consoles in a short time due to production lines, material, labor, and probably a fairly rigorous quality control process.

Then I'm not following what you meant by your previous post.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

They don't start manufacturing consoles a year in advance so that is simply not a realistic possibility.

It's absolutely a realistic possibility.  There is way too many tools, analytics, data out there to predict something close to the amount of consoles they need at launch.  They have sales data to look back on from the PS4 that can give them a good indication of how many they need for say Q1 after launch day.  Start there, and adjust a launch date where there will be plenty of consoles. 

They don't have to do November launch dates.  They are going to sell consoles regardless of the launch date.  PS3 since launch (2013) sold 108.9 million consoles, Switch (from 2017) 52 million consoles and Xbox One (2013) 47 million (estimated - MS stopped giving sales data).  There is no pressure on Sony to release the same time as MS anymore.  MS is marketing to the PC market too, anyone with a halfway decent gaming rig doesn't need to buy an Xbox console.  I've bought every console (all platforms - except the Wii U) and don't plan on buying the new Xbox, ever.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's absolutely a realistic possibility.  There is way too many tools, analytics, data out there to predict something close to the amount of consoles they need at launch.  They have sales data to look back on from the PS4 that can give them a good indication of how many they need for say Q1 after launch day.  Start there, and adjust a launch date where there will be plenty of consoles. 

They don't have to do November launch dates.  They are going to sell consoles regardless of the launch date.  PS3 since launch (2013) sold 108.9 million consoles, Switch (from 2017) 52 million consoles and Xbox One (2013) 47 million (estimated - MS stopped giving sales data).  There is no pressure on Sony to release the same time as MS anymore.  MS is marketing to the PC market too, anyone with a halfway decent gaming rig doesn't need to buy an Xbox console.  I've bought every console (all platforms - except the Wii U) and don't plan on buying the new Xbox, ever.

The hardware isn't even finalized a year out.  They also make huge deals with the CPU/GPU makes and have proprietary products in the consoles.  They have to manufacture millions of these and that is on top of the millions of normal products those companies make.  Those need to be made before they can even start making the consoles.  This stuff takes time.

Whether they launch in November with X amount of consoles or March with X + Y amount of consoles, there will still be X+Y amount of consoles out in the wild by March.  I don't understand what holding back the launch would do.  It would do nothing.  They want to get it out before the holiday season for the obvious reason.

This is simple basic economics here.  This is nothing more than supply and demand and the supply simply can't meet the demand.  Do you all seriously think they wouldn't make more consoles if they could?  I mean they are in the business of making money, of course they would.

There's probably a sweet spot in terms of manufacturing logistics.  They would have to figure out when the final specs would be set and how long a window they have to start manufacturing launch supply.  Then that would have to be compared with where they would expect the demand to level off to after launch. 

If the factory that has to run 24/7 for 8 months to meet launch supply is gonna run at 10% capacity for the next five years, then that probably doesn't make a lot of economic sense for Sony or MS.  Also, this launch was probably exacerbated by supply chain disruption during covid.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:28 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

This game is great....I've lost track of time too many times this week and found myself playing until 4am.....whoopsies

Only issue is that I need to get a new laptop since mine is severely outdated and can barely handle the specs....can't wait for Black Friday sales!

Archived