Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Thoughts From Mile High

kleese

Was not a good game by RG3 in the least. Easily one, if not the, worst game of his I've seen since he got here. That said, it was one of the worst games from an offense across the board, including coaching staff, that I've seen the past year and a half as well. Plenty of blame to go around on this one

The defense really gutted it out there though and was playing some good football; but like other times this year, can only maintain that level for so long before they start letting cracks show.

Morgan. Robinson. And Moss on what should of been a TD before the Hank TD.

Robert had his worst game as a pro and deserves a lot of critique. But he wasn't helped out in by ANY stretch by his so called 'playmakers'.

Hail.

not to be nitpicky but garcon had a ridiculous catch and moss also saved rg3 and converted an unlikely 3rd down. Those were 2 fine plays off the top of my head. And for most of the game, the d did a good job of returning the ball back to the offense despite its continued ineptitude.

QB gets A gap pressure a few too many times and gets skittish.

Skittish QB has accuracy issues

Pocket protection gets better but QB still skittish

Accuracy issues continue

Finally recievers and QB in sync

A gap pressures get home again

Skittishness ensues again

Recievers lose confidence and stop making plays

QB gets mad at recievers

O co-ordinator gets mad at QB

QB gets mad at O co-ordinator

Defense stops making plays from frustration and tiredness

The O-Line isn't playing well, but they aren't playing awful, especially considering the amount/ways they are being blitzed.  Add to the top your list:

1. Teams blitz A gap because they don't fear QB/WR combination turning blitz into a big play causing pressure on the QB.

You got to find away to identify that blitz A gap pressure is coming, get the ball out quickly, and have it turn into a pretty big play.  You have to make them pay for blitzing.

This started in game 1 with the Eagles blitzing the A gap and it working.  I said then, that it was something they had to figure out and I've seen teams seasons go under for not figuring out how to handle a blitz.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/370763-relax-everythings-gonna-be-alright/?p=9548151

http://es.redskins.com/topic/370763-relax-everythings-gonna-be-alright/?p=9549105

And no, if they can't figure out a way to solve the problem with Cousins at QB, it won't get any better.

Considering how bad the NFC EAST is; we could see a 7-9 or maybe even a 6-10 team win the division.

Winning the east is nearly meaningless to me after winning it last year. It's like being the best student in a remedial math class. If we aren't getting through to the divisional round then we might as well not go at all. I believe in this squad and coaching staff because of our successes last season. A bad first half isn't enough to shake that faith. If we still suck next year and it isn't easily identifiable and fixable then I will lose faith and say blow the whole thing up.

The line is terrible.

Yeah I disagree. At least today. Our oline has profound strengths and weaknesses by being a heavy zbs system.

but oline vs qb is sorta a chicken vs egg argument, it's in the eye of the beholder. I think there is a reason why certain qbs flourish over years despite oline fluctuations. They are good enough to mask deficiencies and smart enough to play to their unit's strengths.

You wanna blitz Brady, brees, or manning? Go ahead. That extra rushers you send will be understood by those qbs and the defense will get torched with quick releases.

Bottom line, the oline as a unit cannot choose how to react to blitzes. At some point they will get outmanned and pressure will get to the QB faster than normal.

The QB is the leader however and can decide where the plays go. he has the control and thus the responsibility to initiate the correct decisions. And its the coordinators job to get in his ear if he is not.

rg routinely had chances to initiate those correct decisions and chose wrong on most of them. You can't blame that on the oline.

Griffins QB play has been quite disappointing from a pass perspective all season long. I'm sure the injury and the rehab that came with it stunted some of his development. But, I'm also starting to question the entire scheme. The pass offense for Houston Texans has shown that even with a QB who knows the offense, like Matt Schaub, it still struggles with the drop-back passing concepts. That's supposedly the same offense we run, and like Houston, we struggle unless the run game is lights out.

To make a point about these terrible drops by the wide receivers, the problem I really have is that...it's their one & only real job & they make MILLIONS to do it. It's not as if, when they get up tomorrow morning, they have to go to a real job & do real work. The only thing they are paid to do is catch passes, block occasionally on running plays (very occasionally with this offense), & get yards after they catch the ball. My goodness, if I failed as miserably at my job as they do theirs week in & week out, I wouldn't have a job.

It must be nice to know that even tho their inability to make a solid play that could extend a drive or score points is frequent, they can go back into the locker room, yuck it up with each other as tho nothing happened & get started on dropping passes next week. Because we all know, they will be on the field next week. And so do they.

Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by the way these guys have been playing. I feel betrayed, honestly. They tricked us into believing that this year was going to be different. They made us believe that preseason was real. That we were going to steamroll over even the best of defenses & make mincemeat of offenses struggling to survive...like ours.

All this talk before the season began about RG3...I wonder if it wasn't all too distracting for the rest of the team. So much so that they forgot to practice.

Last year, as they started on a 7-0 run to make the playoffs, they played like a team. The offense was scoring at will in most games & operated as a well-oiled machine. Now? They play like a bunch of individuals trying to make their own stats look great. Except, they suck at it. Like all 11 players on the offense are on different pages of the playbook.

Maybe I'm still just too bitter about this loss to see it any other way. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to look at it differently & have a better outlook.

I'm utterly fascinated the differing interpretations of the offensive line's performance that I'm seeing across the forum. I'm seeing everything from "they were trash" to "they were just fine" and on to "how much time does Robert need anyway??" There's more subjectivity involved here than I ever thought possible, and it seems as if it's all tied in to how you currently view Robert. If you think Robert needs to get the ball out sooner, you must also think that our line was perfectly acceptable today.

Personally, I thought they were terrible; the interior line in particular, which is nothing new. Robert will not survive this season staying in the pocket. That says a lot. Further, just think of the inordinate amount of negative rushing plays we've been having. They tell me one thing: our RBs are awesome and conceal the fact that our undersized line gets no push whatsoever. In the event that the RBs don't make something out of nothing instantly, they fall backwards 1-5 yards.

The line is terrible.

I agree. In the first half the line wasnt AS BAD, but Denver was still getting plenty of pressure. Griffin was hurried 8 out of 11 of his first dropbacks 

RG3 "gets hit on every drop-back" because his receivers are blanketed, he doesn't want to throw an INT, and while "learning" how to be a pocket passer, is not afforded the throwaway like when outside the pocket.

Per 980am Robert was pressured or sacked 42% of his drop-backs, the worst of his career.  He hasn't forgotten how to get rid of the ball. QBs do it every game their entire lives. He doesn't want to get hit.

The WR is not yet open. A 345 NT is about to hit you. You can't ground it, standing in the tackle box. Kyle is staring at you. Mike's face is already red. What do you do?  I can tell you what you are not doing, learning anything other than basic survival skills.

Deer in the Headlights is no way to groom a QB (a nice thread title).  It almost looks like Kyle is setting up RG3 to fail.  We draft a mobile QB he finally shows signs of being at full health, and THIS was Kyle's game plan? It's mind boggling.

Someone please remind Kyle. THIS IS OUR FRANCHISE QB.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Robert needs 15 seconds from the offensive line to throw the ball.

The offensive line was fine.

And yes, every teams Quarterback gets blitzed and hit from time to time, but when Robert had time to do a round off and stick the landing just about everytime he drops back, he can make a throw.

We'll know more when the all 22 comes out but he looked like poo poo today.

He didn't.  The ball wasn't perfect, but I'm with GHH, that catch has to be made.

RGIII was off yesterday. His worst passing performance of the season and probably his NFL career.

That said from the TV coverage too many times he was at the top of his drop and could not get the ball out of his hand because his receivers had zero separation. The All 22 will be interesting but right now I think we have both a scheme issue and a talent issue in our passing game.

Scheme - the passing game is pretty simple and last year was working in getting receivers open. This year not so much. Some of this is about receivers winning on routes (or failing to) but I also think we HAVE to develop our passing scheme and get more complex because the league has caught up on what we were doing last year. 

Talent - outside of Reed (a rookie) and Garcon I don't trust any of our other receivers to get open and/or catch the ball if they do get open. That includes Santana. Hankerson is the 'best of the rest' but we have to get Fred Davis involved somehow. He lead the team in targets, receptions and yardage last year when he was hurt - he has is more reliable as target than anyone else we have at receiver apart from Garcon and Reed. Unless he has lost something with the achilles get him on the damn field.

Pass protection was OK for the main. But it broke down late on when we were getting whipped inside on power moves. Nothing clever just guys getting whipped. We just can not protect effectively when teams know we are going to pass and set up to pressure (which make abandoning the running game even more inexcusable). 

RGIII has to play better but its tough to play QB when you have no one open, get key drops when you do get people open and have questionable pass protection. 

That said from the TV coverage too many times he was at the top of his drop and could not get the ball out of his hand because his receivers had zero separation. The All 22 will be interesting but right now I think we have both a scheme issue and a talent issue in our passing game.

Apparently there were some open guys.  And apparently it was bad enough that Doc Walker was calling for Cousins to come in when it was 28-21... which means it was bad.

The WRs did him no favors, but for every drop they had Griffin overthrew 2 and just plain missed another 2.

Talent - outside of Reed (a rookie) and Garcon I don't trust any of our other receivers to get open and/or catch the ball if they do get open. That includes Santana. Hankerson is the 'best of the rest' but we have to get Fred Davis involved somehow. He lead the team in targets, receptions and yardage last year when he was hurt - he has is more reliable as target than anyone else we have at receiver apart from Garcon and Reed. Unless he has lost something with the achilles get him on the damn field.

Agreed.  I wouldn't be beneath making a move or two to wake up the WR corps.  Maybe look at trading Moss to New England so he has a shot a ring or cutting someone and bringing up Williams or Lewis.

I wouldn't expect Williams or Lewis to light the world on fire, but I would expect that to wake up the rest of the WR core and remind them that this is real life and it's happening now, and that may garner a better performance from them.

Pass protection was OK for the main. But it broke down late on when we were getting whipped inside on power moves. Nothing clever just guys getting whipped. We just can not protect effectively when teams know we are going to pass and set up to pressure (which make abandoning the running game even more inexcusable).

Unfortunately I think our O-line situation is a victim of it's success last year and it is what it is.  I am not a fan of Kyle Shanahan's and I wasn't until we won 7 in a row last year.  So over 75% of the time he's been here, I've hated him and he hasn't improved :lol:

RGIII has to play better but its tough to play QB when you have no one open, get key drops when you do get people open and have questionable pass protection.

Here is the scariest thing about Robert Griffin, III and his era here in Washington... we've reached "that" point with him where teams know what he doesn't like.  All of them (to an extent) have done it this year and he hasn't been able to throw his guys open.

It's a combo of bad play calling and bad QB play... but if he doesn't find his way out of this funk and adjust to the adjustments and throw his guys open... he will go down the road of Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, and all of the other young QBs we've failed in recent history.

I think that a new coaching staff is a good way to start that process of helping him out though.

It is obvious Rg3 has no pocket presence, you could see it last year. if he does not run he is Jason Campbell. He is not good at reading through his progression. He makes bad decisions on deep balls, lsst year he was more lucky than accurate. He keeps throwing into a crowd as if he is throwing to Calvin Johnson

I thought the play calling was not that good

Morgan. Robinson. And Moss on what should of been a TD before the Hank TD. 

Robert had his worst game as a pro and deserves a lot of critique. But he wasn't helped out in by ANY stretch by his so called 'playmakers'; pitiful excuse for a line and pocket they never even form for him; and most of all by the complete fraud of an OC we have who is moveable through nepotism

Hail. 

You hit the nail on the head with this one... I stopped watching the game shortly after the playcalling began to shift heavily to passing the ball.  There were no PA roll-outs of any sorts... just had Robert sitting in the pocket all damn day.  The writing is on the wall for Kyle until he figures out how to stick to what works instead of going for the kill shot at inoppotune times. 

Its going to take 3 years for him to develop as a pocket passer.

He cant read defenses. He misses basic progressions. He bails out of the back of the pocket at the first sign of duress. He has no internal clock to know stuff is coming from behind (the one that scares me the most).

Either we have to live with him learning how to be a pocket passer, with all its ups and downs, or we will have Mike Vick Jr. on our hands.

Simmer down people. We knew we were getting the unpolished one between he and luck, its going to take time...but he has got to learn to step up and laterally.

RG3 "gets hit on every drop-back" because his receivers are blanketed, he doesn't want to throw an INT, and while "learning" how to be a pocket passer, is not afforded the throwaway like when outside the pocket.

Per 980am Robert was pressured or sacked 42% of his drop-backs, the worst of his career.  He hasn't forgotten how to get rid of the ball. QBs do it every game their entire lives. He doesn't want to get hit.

The WR is not yet open. A 345 NT is about to hit you. You can't ground it, standing in the tackle box. Kyle is staring at you. Mike's face is already red. What do you do?  I can tell you what you are not doing, learning anything other than basic survival skills.

Deer in the Headlights is no way to groom a QB (a nice thread title).  It almost looks like Kyle is setting up RG3 to fail.  We draft a mobile QB he finally shows signs of being at full health, and THIS was Kyle's game plan? It's mind boggling.

Someone please remind Kyle. THIS IS OUR FRANCHISE QB.

There are whispers of tensions brewing Kyle and RG3 and Mike is apprehensive of it per the Redskins insiders.

The negative: we cannot keep up with high powered offenses with play makers for a full game (GB, Cowboys, Denver, and I'll consider the Eagles 1st game as fitting into that category). 

The positive: we don't have any of those games left outside of Dallas.  ATL is struggling (Julio is out), SF is borderline on match-up ability.  KC is good but can be beaten (this game is setup well for us with having 3 straight division games & Denver 2 of 3 weeks before).  Eagles and Giants should both (well all 3 games) be winnable. 

I can see 3 losses (at worst) on the remaining schedule.  9-7 is not that far fetched.  Dallas has NO, CHI, GB left which you would assume would be 3 losses which would put the 12/22 game as pretty much the game for the division.

Here's to hoping!

Are people really defending this abomination we refer to as an offensive line? It was getting Griffin hit on nearly every drop-back and after they got him hurt, they immediately allowed the back-up to get destroyed as well.

Fox stats was something like 18 hits on RGIII, out of 30 attempts, that does not take into account the passes he had to throw with 

his own line standing right in front of him. I know of two that I thought he was going to hit his OL in the head, one was the wounded duck pass that I believe Moss caught.

But in fairness it's not all on the OL, our receivers were not getting open, and Kyle called a terrible game, just plain terrible.

RG3 gets hit on every dropback because he holds the ball too long. Anything more than 4 seconds is a bonus. You gotta get the ball out quick in this system.

And why do you think he holds the ball too long ?

My take is because he is being asked to be more of a pocket passer and his damn receivers are not getting any seperation.

So if he tries to throw it away, its intentional grounding.

effective opening script on offense? nope again struggled to move the ball the opening drive and in the 1st half

short passing game? nope

read-option? nope

moving the pocket? nope

diversity in the run game? nope

screen passes? nope

getting the RBs involved in the pass game? nope

adjustments? nope

QB under duress in the pocket? yes

receivers struggling to get open vs man? yes

QB 'inaccurate'? yes

used rub routes, slants, drags or crossing routes vs man coverage? nope

spread the field? nope

simplisitc passing game routes/combinations? yes

^^This is what I'm seeing.

-Cheers

effective opening script on offense? nope again struggled to move the ball the opening drive and in the 1st half

short passing game? nope

read-option? nope

moving the pocket? nope

diversity in the run game? nope

screen passes? nope

getting the RBs involved in the pass game? nope

adjustments? nope

QB under duress in the pocket? yes

receivers struggling to get open vs man? yes

QB 'inaccurate'? yes

used rub routes, slants, drags or crossing routes vs man coverage? nope

spread the field? nope

simplisitc passing game routes/combinations? yes

^^This is what I'm seeing.

-Cheers

This post hurts to the core :(

Kyle's time here is running short.

nobody can get open. outside Reed and Garcon, our receivers csnt get open for ****

i was at the 50 yardline upper deck, had a great view of the field. after rg3 fakes the handoff and pulled back to throw on play action, id look down field, and there was nothing there. NOTHING. Hank, Morgsn, Moss. our #2-4 receivers are average at best.

combine that with drops and poor throws from robert, it made for a long day.

RG3 was getting hit because he held onto the ball forever, didnt anticipate routes or the pocket, and didnt MOVE. He was stationary. He could have avoided a lot of hits had he simply either moved in the pocket or gotten rid of the ball earlier. The line played well until we went into straight drop back mode.

And where are the rollouts! Why are we not having him rollout anymore? Is it just me or are the rollouts just disappearing from this offense?

Archived