Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**official 2013/2014 Winter Weather Thread**

Chew

DOT says ice on roads formed quickly, crews couldn't keep up

Black ice began to cover the highway about 6:30 a.m., causing drivers to lose control while heading down the declining section of I-290 westbound.

The chain reaction of crashes then began as cars began to pile up in the roadway. Two tractor-trailers slid sideways at the front and rear of the accident scene. Two large commercial trucks were also struck. State police estimated 65 vehicles were involved.

Some cars were wedged underneath the tractor-trailers with cars piled on top of them.

State police said that of the 35 to 40 people injured, only two had serious injuries. Five EMS companies took the injured to St. Vincent Hospital and UMass Memorial Medical Center's University and Memorial campuses.

Click on the link for the full article

So I don't think the models like the storm any more.

Meaning, the subtropical ridge has remained strong during last night's runs.

Meaning, it pushes the storm to our west allowing for warm air to eventually override the cold. Fortunately, it does look like a slow retreat of the surface cold air, so this beginning as snow hasn't changed...yet.

Also fortunately, this active pattern looks to last, through the end of next week at least. Starting Thursday the longest break between storms may be 24 hours at the most. This week's storm is the only one with the chance or remaining all rain (and even then, it's starting to look like this may end as a mix late Friday night - depending of course on how fast the cold air comes in)

So I don't think the models like the storm any more.

weak ass Mid-Atlantic storms. :P

It's gonna be -6 degrees and about 6-12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning around here. Wind chill will have us in the -20s. ;) 

weak ass Mid-Atlantic storms. :P

It's gonna be -6 degrees and about 6-12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning around here. Wind chill will have us in the -20s.  ;)

Lmao. My brother has talked about me moving out there. Besides not wanting to leave the DMV, **** that weather man. I can't deal with that ****. I hate DC winters, as is. I'd probably be dead by March in Denver

Lmao. My brother has talked about me moving out there. Besides not wanting to leave the DMV, **** that weather man. I can't deal with that ****. I hate DC winters, as is. I'd probably be dead by March in Denver

March? They have huge snowstorms in October. You'd be a goner before Turkey Day.

GFS back to a more colder solution :)

And speaking of colder, it also has temps in the low teens and single digits here following that second storm.

Doubt it'll get that cold, but enjoy the next couple days. May be the last warmth we see for a while.

man, its 7 degrees and 25 mph winds. most sidewalks downtown havent been shoveled. walked 2 blocks to my parking garage from work...tears streaming down my face. cant feel my thumbs, and my car door was frozen shut. had to get into the car through back door on passenger side lol.

Still uncertainty for this weekend.

Possible accumulating snow before switching to sleet, freezing rain or rain. Possible large scale freezing rain event. Possible just rain. This is for Sunday.

Snow first will make this event OK. With the Skins game at 1, I want some snow down before the rain/freezing rain starts. No snow + freezing rain = hellacious commute home from FedEx.

I'm more concerned that this will be all rain for te immediate DC area.

There are few, if any, scenarios right now that would make this storm all rain.

If this storm were to miss us it'd be because it's being suppressed by that the arctic air pouring into the U.S. right now. If that were to happen our current high temp for Sunday (around 32 degrees) would be closer to 20 degrees.

The ONLY reason rain is even being mentioned with this storm is because of the warm air aloft that may work it's way down (by Monday morning) with the track this storm appears it will take. Not because of surface temps. 

And Saturday should be fine dc. If you wake up early enough, some of tomorrow's rain may briefly change to a few flakes Sat. morning, but other than that, just dropping temps.

Archived