Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Sources: Shots Fired At U.s. Capitol, Building On Lockdown

Toe Jam

Have they said how old the kid was?  I hope the kid isn't old enough to remember this.  Poor kid must have been absolutely terrified.  

I think they accidently showed the child on CNN earlier before they realized what the footage was. I would guess the kid was 2ish. They did not show it again once they realized that was the child in the car.

I think they accidently showed the child on CNN earlier before they realized what the footage was. I would guess the kid was 2ish. They did not show it again once they realized that was the child in the car.

That kid will grow up and be able to look up videos of what happened to mommy.  Can you imagine how weird that would be?  I hope he/she winds up in a better situation than the one that ended today.  

Something needs to be done about mental health treatment.  This is an underlying issue with a lot of these incidents. 

our treatments themselves might be partly to blame in a lot of instances, but I'll leave that to the experts

They tried to do something about it in the ACA, but Repubs blocked it. They tried to do something with gun laws but Repubs blocked it.

I am far from a gun-toting Republican, but that is oversimplifying things just a bit. You can put a lot of things into a bill that is probably not going to pass and then point fingers at the other party when it doesn't. How about we just have a bill concentrating on mental health and not try to just slip it into something else and then point fingers when it does not pass for an unrelated reason.

I am pretty fed up with congress right now because all anyone wants to do on both sides of the aisle is point fingers. But alas, this is not a political thread. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/miriam-carey-dental-hygienist-at-the-center-of-car-chase-and-shooting-near-the-capitol/2013/10/03/ad805fec-2c83-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html

Police suspect dental hygienist Miriam Carey was behind the wheel of Capitol chase

She had a toddler with her, confounding everyone who watched the car crash through barriers and lead police through the heart of high-security Washington.

Law enforcement officials said the black Infiniti was registered to a 34-year-old mother named Miriam Carey, a dental hygienist from Stamford, Conn. They think it was Carey, with her 1-year-old daughter sitting behind her, who flattened barricades outside the White House, struck officers and then set off at high speed down Pennsylvania Avenue.

The initial portrait of Carey that emerged suggested a person unlikely to be found in the center of such violence. Carey, according to public documents, friends and family members, had finished college and established a work history as a dental hygienist.

Her sister, Amy Carey, a Brooklyn nurse, was incredulous when she was reached Thursday afternoon and told what had happened.

“That’s impossible. She works, she holds a job,” said Amy Carey, who confirmed that her Stamford-based sister drove a black car. “She wouldn’t be in D.C. She was just in Connecticut two days ago, I spoke to her. . . . I don’t know what’s happening. I can’t answer any more.”

Anyone who has gotten to know me on here over the years, gotten to know my story/background, knows that I'm the very last person to carry water for the police. Ever. But with that said, after seeing the video, her damn near driving over multiple officers, of the damaged police vehicles that she hit, etc, I have no problem with them shooting her. 

That said, it's still a really sad situation. Especially with a toddler in the car. Thank God he/she wasn't struck.

From what I can see, police held their fire originally because they saw the child maybe???

That's what it seemed like to me

I am far from a gun-toting Republican, but that is oversimplifying things just a bit. You can put a lot of things into a bill that is probably not going to pass and then point fingers at the other party when it doesn't. How about we just have a bill concentrating on mental health and not try to just slip it into something else and then point fingers when it does not pass for an unrelated reason.

I am pretty fed up with congress right now because all anyone wants to do on both sides of the aisle is point fingers. But alas, this is not a political thread. 

How is adding mental health help to a healthcare law, slipping something in?

And I actually think we need to be pointing more fingers. Acting like everyone is to blame, all sides are equal, is part of the problem. Nobody gets held responsible then.

My wife has a friend ans she was down here and texted her what was happening in real time yesterday. My wife told me the suspect was a woman and dead way before tv did. She works part time as security for my wifes place of employment and was texting her about the schedule yesterday when it all started. . Let me clarify also she texted her when it started and after it was over not during as she was busy in pursuit

I dont think this woman would have been shot if this was pre 911

OK, so off out of left field.. we've seen dramas and read novels about bad guys who force people to do things through various threats..

We've seen people rob banks with bombs strapped to them. I wonder how far out of the realm of possibility that might be?

~Bang

Sad, really.

Good to see the officers utilize proper escalation of force, instead of being trigger happy.  You know they have been briefed about crazies and political nut jobs possibly targeting the government buildings considering the ineptness going on in the capitol.

Hopefully the child has a good life.

Archived