Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Sources: Shots Fired At U.s. Capitol, Building On Lockdown

Toe Jam

It's shocking (not really) that so many people posting on the news story (cnn, huffpo, fox) that they're "not surprised really. it was only a matter of time. people are fed up."

It's as if people are just waiting for the first shot of a revolution to start.  Pardon me if that sounds a bit over-dramatic.  Probably does.  

When I heard the headline "Shots fired on Capitol Hill" I responded the same way, but really only due to not being surprised to hear yet another gun-related incident making the news. I'll admit I'm surprised it didn't have to do with the govt shutdown only because, is it just me, or are people losing their damn minds lately? I feel like when Clinton took office, the public wasn't nearly as polarizing

When I heard the headline "Shots fired on Capitol Hill" I responded the same way, but really only due to not being surprised to hear yet another gun-related incident making the news. I'll admit I'm surprised it didn't have to do with the govt shutdown only because, is it just me, or are people losing their damn minds lately? I feel like when Clinton took office, the public wasn't nearly as polarizing

It's evident that the divide is getting wider.

I wasn't surprised either when I heard about the shooting.  I feel horrible writing this, but I thought, "maybe now things will start changing."  So cynical.  Rather than being concerned with anyone injured, I was preoccupied with complete BS.

Part of me hopes politician's don't use this to criticize the other party...oh wait

Congressman Tim Griffin (R-AR) tweeted right after the shooting: "Stop the violent rhetoric President Obama, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. #Disgusting"

Not saying you're lying... but I clicked on the link and it says "this doesn't exist".

I find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid.  These are politicians after all.

Latest story doing the rounds is ... a female driver has a disagreement of some sort with police near the White House. As she drove off she hit a police car hard enough that the airbags deployed. Police gave chase with the driver apparently running lights. As she approached the Capitol use of force was authorized.

Unless threats were made by the driver at some point, and it's true that a dozen or more shots were fired, this seems excessive, given that she apparently was unarmed.

And Congressman who blamed Obama, Pelosi & Schumer has labeled it an act of terrorism: “The shooting today is a terrible and inexcusable tragedy and an act of terrorism. No one but the shooter is to blame.”

Is he calling DC/Park Police terrorists now?

Ok I have developed a theory that may or may not end up being accurate. The vehicle was an Infiniti sedan from a picture I saw on twitter. The reports of shots fired by the suspect are VERY sketchy right now. She had a baby in the car. I think she accidentally wrecked her car right outside the White House, freaked out when secret service approached her with automatic weapons drawn, and she fled. Maybe she was foreign... Wouldn't be the first time someone from another country fled from our police out of fear. But she was pursued to near the Capitol, where she was shot after wrecking her car through a barricade. Probably because of the high tension at the moment, the fact she struck the fence of the White House, etc.

It's evident that the divide is getting wider.

I wasn't surprised either when I heard about the shooting.  I feel horrible writing this, but I thought, "maybe now things will start changing."  So cynical.  Rather than being concerned with anyone injured, I was preoccupied with complete BS.

Don't beat yourself up. I think its natural to hear "incident at the W.H. and shots fired at the Capitol" and assume it's got some sort of political motivation or other. I didn't hear about the incident until well after the story broke when there was actually some information out there so I didn't have a chance to jump to conclusions. But I would have if I'd heard about it earlier.

Ok I have developed a theory that may or may not end up being accurate. The vehicle was an Infiniti sedan from a picture I saw on twitter. The reports of shots fired by the suspect are VERY sketchy right now. She had a baby in the car. I think she accidentally wrecked her car right outside the White House, freaked out when secret service approached her with automatic weapons drawn, and she fled. Maybe she was foreign... Wouldn't be the first time someone from another country fled from our police out of fear. But she was pursued to near the Capitol, where she was shot after wrecking her car through a barricade. Probably because of the high tension at the moment, the fact she struck the fence of the White House, etc.

That sounds like the most plausible explanation to me.

sad news, especially with the baby- unfortunately this is the time that you wish she did so that it would have been reasonable action to take. 

Still may have been a reasonable action to take.    That assumption is just as premature as the ones assuming we had an armed suspect.   A gun is not the only deadly weapon.     

Archived