Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Multiple Sources: Shots Fired At U.s. Capitol, Building On Lockdown

Toe Jam

per cnn.com

Breaking: Reports of shots fired on Capitol Hill

(CNN) – Police are reacting to reports of shots fired on Capitol Hill in Washington. CNN's Ted Barrett reports an order was given over the Capitol speaker system to shelter in place because of an active shooter situation.

There were reports of multiple gunshots near the Senate Hart Office Building. People were seen running, and staffers are being instructed to shelter in place.

Capitol Police sent out the following advisory to staffers:

"SHELTER IN PLACE. Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring all occupants in all House Office Buildings to shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods; and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available."

The incident is considered active and the shooter(s) have not be apprehended.

House and Senate have gone into recess.

CBS is saying this started because of a car accident. How crazy is that?

I'll be honest... I've been a little surprised at how bad traffic has been the last two days with 30% of the city's workforce furloughed... but THAT is rediculous if true.

I'll be honest... I've been a little surprised at how bad traffic has been the last two days with 30% of the city's workforce furloughed... but THAT is rediculous if true.

Doesn't sound like it. Most reports are saying they exchanged gunfire.

It's shocking (not really) that so many people posting on the news story (cnn, huffpo, fox) that they're "not surprised really. it was only a matter of time. people are fed up."

It's as if people are just waiting for the first shot of a revolution to start.  Pardon me if that sounds a bit over-dramatic.  Probably does.  

Part of me hopes politician's don't use this to criticize the other party...oh wait

Congressman Tim Griffin (R-AR) tweeted right after the shooting: "Stop the violent rhetoric President Obama, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. #Disgusting"

Is that guy serious? Says the party that backs the NRA.

Archived