Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When Will Human Life As We Know It Cease To Exist?

grhqofb5

how long will humans continue to exist?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How long will humans continue to exist

• Less than 20 years
    • 20-50 years
    • 50-100 years
    • 100-250 years
    • 250-500 years
    • 500-1000 years
    • 1000+ years

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven..." ~ Jesus Christ

Futile exercise and waste of time trying to predict when Jesus will return in glory and judgment.

You really beleive we won't be multi-planet by then? A billion years, our civilzation could collapse and rebuild a couple times. Most everything we have now we've done in less then 10,000.

Exactly. A billion years is an incomprehensible amount of time.

I said earlier in this thread that the Sun will supernova, but I was wrong. It's not big enough of a star to supernova. It will turn in to a red giant, then shrink in to a white dwarf. 5 billion years to go before that happens.

I still think it's an Alien war where we meet our match, even if we turn in to some galaxy-hopping species. I think eventually we'll come across crazy aliens with superior technology who will crush us at our core or systematically wipe us out. Perhaps even a civil war with ourselves. Remaining humans could rekindle the species, but they could also die out for various reasons.

Exactly. A billion years is an incomprehensible amount of time.

I said earlier in this thread that the Sun will supernova, but I was wrong. It's not big enough of a star to supernova. It will turn in to a red giant, then shrink in to a white dwarf. 5 billion years to go before that happens.

I still think it's an Alien war where we meet our match, even if we turn in to some galaxy-hopping species. I think eventually we'll come across crazy aliens with superior technology who will crush us at our core or systematically wipe us out. Perhaps even a civil war with ourselves. Remaining humans could rekindle the species, but they could also die out for various reasons.

Are you envisioning a Starship Troopers type scenario or a Star Trek one?

As the thread starter, somewhat surprised to see this on re-emerge.  The point I was trying to hit on in the OP was not when the last human being would die, or when earth would be obliterated.  It was "when will human life as we know it cease to exist?"  I think the target would be an event wiping out half or more of our population over the course of a short time frame (i.e. 10 years), something along the lines of a nuclear war creating nuclear winter, perhaps an asteroid, or maybe even a seriously infectious plague. 

I guess we've advanced to the point now where if, for instance, 100,000 people were left over after this type of event and the planet stabilized, things could be rebuilt, but life as we know it would still have ended.

I think it depends on how you define "human life as we know it" ending. Do you view a technological singularity that way? I think humans will likely be around in some way in 500 years but I think things will be MUCH different, if not downright unrecognizable.

If our social culture currently is an indication of our path, I think the movie "The Fifth Element" will be what its like. God help us.

If our social culture currently is an indication of our path, I think the movie "The Fifth Element" will be what its like. God help us.

Well, if someone needs to show a sexy female alien love in order save the world, I'll bite the bullet and do it to save humanity :)

The world as we know it will end, when the Redskins win another Super Bowl.

In all seriousness, there are a few possibilities. Self-inflicted destruction will likely be due to nuclear warfare, or economic breakdown due to overpopulation or some viral outbreak.

Otherwise, in less than a billion years, the sun will get too radiant for life to survive above ground. Life forms will need to live under the surface. Before that happens, I'm sure a meteor will say hello to the planet and do some house cleaning.

As the thread starter, somewhat surprised to see this on re-emerge. The point I was trying to hit on in the OP was not when the last human being would die, or when earth would be obliterated. It was "when will human life as we know it cease to exist?" I think the target would be an event wiping out half or more of our population over the course of a short time frame (i.e. 10 years), something along the lines of a nuclear war creating nuclear winter, perhaps an asteroid, or maybe even a seriously infectious plague.

I guess we've advanced to the point now where if, for instance, 100,000 people were left over after this type of event and the planet stabilized, things could be rebuilt, but life as we know it would still have ended.

I think we have a good enough grasp on asteroids now, although the smaller ones still pose a threat. Anything calculated to be on a collision course with Earth would get the Philae Lander treatment, cept it'd use small rockets to steer the asteroid or comet off its course.

Now you may say Philae wasn't responding but for a day...but that's enough time mane. Lil boost of the thrusters and the asteroid won't hit us.

WMDs seem to be the biggest threat to life as we know it in the foreseeable future. Another gigantic war would be absolutely ridiculous at this point. I'm talking WWII scale. But if it happens then life as we know it would change.

An absolutely enormous earthquake/volcano/tsunami combo could potentially cripple us. Say Yellowstone sets off a chain reaction or something. Earth has been holding in this diarrhea for too long and finally let's 'er go.

To a lesser degree, a solar storm pointed directly at Earth could be bad. Almost got hit with one in 2012.

Ok, so I keep seeing the "Alien Invasion" premise, and it got me thinking:

If we're dealing with an alien race that's figured out how to get between star systems either in a reasonable time frame or flat out doesn't care, why would they come all the way here with all these different options for planets when civilization is heavily populated, historically violent, and currently armed with nuclear weapons? There are some scientists that have gone so far as to say that our earth is a smaller, life-bearing planet, and the supposed Super-Earths would actually be better for life in general.

Am I alone here?

There's also the argument that any hostile alien species capable of far superior technological capability would've long destroyed itself.

never agreed with that theory, the notion a technically advanced society is somehow more a benevolent one seems a fallacy.

Archived