Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When Will Human Life As We Know It Cease To Exist?

grhqofb5

how long will humans continue to exist?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How long will humans continue to exist

• Less than 20 years
    • 20-50 years
    • 50-100 years
    • 100-250 years
    • 250-500 years
    • 500-1000 years
    • 1000+ years

Just saw a show about this type of thing, bring up a question I've pondered at times... How long will humans continue to live as we do? By this I do not mean complete extinction, but some sort of near extinction level event that alters the course of human existence, such as wide scale nuclear war, devastating plague, global warming (yes, this one takes longer), asteroid, etc.? Explain your prediction, of course.

Oh, it will be well over 1000 years.

Dinosaurs walked the earth for millions of years in some way, shape or form. I have no reason to think that humans won't either. Humans also have the greatest ability of any species of animal to ever live on this planet, adaptability. No matter what happens we will be able to adapt to it.

Overpopulation. We can live in very close quarters without problem. Look at New York, LA, China, Japan, Mexico City for instance. And there is plenty more room on this planet.

Global warming. Quite frankly, global warming would probably benefit our species. Global warming would mean more habitable land, larger amounts of fresh water and greater optimal climate zones. We would flourish.

Plague/disease. Science. Science and quarantine. No way that a whole species would be dumb enough to let disease wipe them out. Maybe large portions of it but not enough to decimate the species.

Nuclear war, global war. There is just too much land for a large scale war to wipe the population. Plus, one side will win so at least those people will survive.

It would have to be some sort of outside influence. Asteroid. Comet. Expanding sun. Massive volcano eruption. Aliens. I don't know. Like I've said, humans have a special ability and intelligence to survive just about anything that could happen to this planet.

I voted for 500-1000 years but only because I felt like I was being pessimistic.  My reall interpretation is that as different things start to threaten our existence, we'll see it and adjust.  I saw a discoverly/TLC special about the world running out of fresh water and they showed people ready to kill each other over it, but the reality is that it'll get kind of expensive and we'll have a "WTF" reaction to it.  I'm not saying we won't wipe ourselves out, but some alarmists act like its a foregone conclusion. 

No.  We'll see it coming, and we'll adjust.  That's not to say this won't be a first in human history though.

War with Alien species at any time. Depends on if they're hostile, and if they're technologically superior.

I think it would be a forgone conclusion that if they came here that they would be more technologically advanced. At that point, they would have mastered the ability to travel faster than the speed of light or have very long lifespans. Either way, pretty impressive.

However, if they were to come to this planet I would expect a more curious, fact finding mission.

Also, did anyone know that we received foreign radio signals in like 1977 for like a minute and haven't received them since? There's something out there!

Someday we'll invent a way to turn garbage into clean energy, and produce any materials we need at will. Slowly we will transition away from an actual day to day economy. We won't live our entire lives attempting to accumulate wealth, we will no longer have need for very many service jobs, and the goal of human existence will be improving ourselves as individuals and a species. We will strive for better and better education, we will eliminate hunger, sickness, pain and suffering, we will advance our capabilities in engineering far beyond that which we can currently fathom.

Eh who am I kidding? We're going to squabble over stupid **** forever. Any attempts at abundant, clean, free and renewable energy or production technology will be snuffed out by irrational fear of change and lots of lobby money from our corporate masters. We will become more obsessed than ever with material wealth and eventually some disease will pop up that kicks our asses, or some rock will splat into our planet and we were too busy fighting over whether or not public education should teach children the universe was created by a space wizard to actually develop the ability to deflect such a hazard. Maybe we'll finally blow ourselves up, though I would rate that lower in probability. Maybe like in Idiocracy, we'll breed ourselves stupid over time and revert to an even more stupid form- just another animal once again.

I'm a bit more optimistic.   I don't see us going "extinct" except on geologic/evolutionary time scales (250k+ years).   On that scale, its pretty much inevitable that even if we continue to dominate the food chain, our descedants will no longer be "us" in the same way.   Just as our distant ancestors weren't really "us" until about 250k years ago.

But, even sooner than that, with genetic engineering/integration with machines, its very possible that in 1000 years or less we would barely recognize our descedants.   Of course, technological adaptation doesn't spread evenly - there are always isolated groups that don't catch on.   Even now, they are still hunter-gatherer ("stone age") societies, who don't use much modern technology and pretty much live the same as their ancestors did thousands of years ago.

War with Alien species at any time. Depends on if they're hostile, and if they're technologically superior.

If an alien species could reach Earth, they are greatly past the technology of humanity.

Well, when the Sun burns out and expands to a red giant, this solar system is cooked so there's a max timer of a couple billion years.

Once AI truly gets going, it's over. They'll eventually take over and we'll be reduced to simply providing energy for them.

The thread title and poll title don't exactly match. Humans will continue to exist, the programs need us and they'll keep us alive indefinitely. But human life, as we currently know it, won't.

Once AI truly gets going, it's over. They'll eventually take over and we'll be reduced to simply providing energy for them.

The thread title and poll title don't exactly match. Humans will continue to exist, the programs need us and they'll keep us alive indefinitely. But human life, as we currently know it, won't.

Morpheus?

Archived