Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Nfl.com) Gil Brandt Says Our Season Is Done

Redskins Ruckus

The fact of the matter is, at 0-3 the odds are against this team to be a playoff team, regardless of how good they are the rest of the way out, or how much better RGIII gets.

If you figure this was a 10-6 team, and then factor in an 0-3 hole.  Obviously you have to adjust how the season may play out.

Then again how many 3-6 teams went on to win their division? I have no idea, actually.

The inevitable piling on by the media is going to happen, probably more once the team is mathmatically eliminted, so just be ready for it and don't stress over it.

+1.  Bubble Screen brought up on of our seasons in the 90s (94, I think) where iirc we went 2-14, but those 2 wins were against the Girls.

My boss (homer Bills fan) called me to see if I needed help down from the ceiling...he knew those were the only games that truly mattered to me, lol at that memory. :)

Are you getting mixed up with jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman's first year in Dallas when they went 1-15? The one being a mid-season 13- 3 win over ourselves after teams had been dumping 30 plus points on them per game?

Hail. 

It's still too soon the say our season is done.  We did look a bit better in some areas last Sunday.  RG3 looked like he was improving.  We need a win.  We need that spark.  The next two games will tell us if our season is done or not.  If we are 0-5 after the Dallas game, then that's all she wrote.  If we are 1-4 with a win over Dallas, we aren't dead yet, but we'll be on life support.  If we are 1-4 with a loss to Dallas, then it's pretty much over at that point unless we rip off another 6-7 straight wins, which is unlikely.  If we are 2-3 after the Dallas game, then we're back into the mix.

Are you getting mixed up with jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman's first year in Dallas when they went 1-15? The one being a mid-season 13- 3 win over ourselves after teams had been dumping 30 plus points on them per game?

Hail. 

Nope, but we were 3-13...it was Norv's first season, & was remember thinking, "we better beat the Girls, since he used to be their OC", etc.

Why do people keep saying that we have a lot of talent on defense? Do people really believe that?

Because we do have talent on the D.  Our OLBs are talented.  Our D-line is solid.  Our ILBs are solid.  Whether or not you like DHall, he does have talent.  Our scheme sucks.  We play soft coverage even when we're losing.  Orakpo is covering TEs on 3rd down when he should be rushing the QB. We give 10 yard cushions on 3rd and short yardage.  We may not be loaded with talent on D, but they should be a lot better than they are.  We do have enough talent on D to be at least middle of the pack, not historically bad.

We do have a weakness at safety due to injuries and inexperience, but every team in the NFL has a weakness somewhere.  That is no excuse to be historically bad.  Haslett just isn't getting it done. 

Add a real OL to that list. LeRibus looks like a bit of a bust for a 3rd rounder and T Williams is the only guy we've got. 

Gotta be able to protect the QB.

I think the reason why our OL has looked bad is because they aren't built for pure pocket passing protection.  It's more of an athletic oline that complements mobile QBs. 

You've never heard of Gil Brandt?  Jesus I feel old.  He was GM of the Cowboys up until you were 2 years old.

Funny you should say that being as he was part of the Cowboys from their inception until Jerruh bought the team. 

Wow. You've honestly never heard of him? Even in the media after he finished with Dallas? Dayum, Like Dan, I',m feeling old all of a sudden. 

Hail. 

He's still alive?  J/K.  Yeah, I'm with you guys.

Brandt is a Cowboys athletic supporter carrier.  But, he has a point.

For all intents and purposes, the season's over as far as deep playoff aspirations.  We are at the point of playing the NFC spoiler role.  The East may be still within reach, but the team needs to prove it can win first. 

If we lose to Oakland, I'm moving on to other pursuits. 

I like Puckus better myself!  :D

haha :P

I remember clearly when LeRibus was drafted and thinking it was a stretch because of his relatively small size. I didn't linger on it because I thought (1) it's never bad to take an OL, and (2) Shanahan might see something that we don't know. It's hard to get on them about it though. Every team has busts. LeRibus just isn't cutting it though.

As for Defense. We absolutely have talent there. The reason why we're all scratching our heads is because it breaks down to coaching. I'm not calling for the swift removal of Haslett, but honestly, not a lot has changed from last year's squad. They adapted to a bend-don't-break type of defense. This season, we're leaving off the don't-break part. Something's not right there, and it's a coaching/scheme issue.

I called for them to revert to a base 3-4 Cover 2 type defense before last game. They did just that (just give me credit :P) and we saw a much improved defense. Now it's time to fine-tune and hone in.

I'm glad the team had more resolve in 2005, 2007, and last season at 3-6 than what many fans are showing. 

If we win the division, we are in the playoffs. If the offense gets things rolling again we can win games. Right now we are only 2 games out of division lead. Nobody in our division is good right now. If anybody in our division has the ability to turn things around, it's us. RG3 is looking better each game. We have Oakland next and then a bye for rest. The defense is what it is, but as we saw last season if the offense is doing well then the D does decent enough. 

If we lose to Oakland and sink to 0-4, THEN the season is in real jeopardy. But right now 2 games from division lead in a terrible division and Oakland up next followed by a bye, with RG3 improving, gives plenty enough reason to believe in the potential of a turnaround. Believing after just 3 games that the season is over for THIS is very shortsighted and if the same ones agreeing found out we had players with suck weak resolve, they would likely demand those players be shown the door ASAP. Time to change the attitude, because a big part of succeeding is knowing that people believe in you.

Archived