Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Nfl.com) Gil Brandt Says Our Season Is Done

Redskins Ruckus

IMO it's really pretty simple. The product on the field speaks for itself. Anyone who's watch the games thus far and still thinks this is a playoff caliber team is in need of some serious counseling. Shanahan et al really need to be held accountable for this debacle. It is what it is and has been for many years. I can see nothing that would indicated anything but continued abysmal performance by the current admin & personnel here. I wish it were different but ..........................

IMO it's really pretty simple. The product on the field speaks for itself. Anyone who's watch the games thus far and still thinks this is a playoff caliber team is in need of some serious counseling. Shanahan et al really need to be held accountable for this debacle. It is what it is and has been for many years. I can see nothing that would indicated anything but continued abysmal performance by the current admin & personnel here. I wish it were different but ..........................

And here I thought that teams and people were capable of overcoming obstacles and adversity and accomplish something great.

It sure is a great thing that sports is so completely predictable and that we can come to a conclusion about the state of this team based on a sample size that amounts to a whopping total of 18% of the season.

Nothing to see here folks. The team should just mail in the remaining 13 games of the season. After all of course...this season is done with - fini - in the books.

Are you kidding? One of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen.

But yeah, it's totally just the QB getting over a mental block. The delusion around here is amazing. This is a bad football team.

The defense gave the offense an entire third quarter to do something last week and the offense produced two turnovers inside the 25, both on RGIII, btw. 

No team in the NFL can win games when its offense turns the ball over inside the redzone. 

The defense also rebounded vs. the Eagles for a while and, again, the offense came up short--the same offense that turned the ball over on its first play of the season. 

Yes, the defense has issues but it actually did give the offense an opportunity to win two out of the three games we've played so far. 

Long time lurker (like 8 years) and first time poster.

Something like 3.5% of teams that start 0-3 make the playoffs, and I think the last one may have been 1998. Tough odds.

The offense is rusty, and even with the porous defense looking like the culprit for 95% of the failure, there is something to be said for the defense playing heavy minutes from the beginning of the every game.

Our offense barely has broken a sweat in the first half, while the defense has been on the field for a long time. That along with Haslett (never thought the fit was right as he has never fielded a great defense), young players in the secondary and people overcompensating where I feel like some of the mental mistakes are guys trying to make game changing plays rather than do their assigned tasks  all adds up.

What are the odds of a team making the playoffs at 3 and 6? bet they are pretty low too.Yet this team found away last season to pull off 7 straight wins to finish the reg. season. I'm not counting this team out especially with RG3 improving every game. The biggest question mark for me is can this DC get his **** together like last season.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the seasons done even if we lose Sunday. If we got a change of DC at the bye, we'd still have 12 games and it's not inconceivable a sub .500 record could win the East. So bad are it's participants. 

But the odds ARE lengthening by the week however bullish anyone wants to be in the face of that. Momentum filled runs like last season's run-in, as awesome as it was, are the exception and not the norm. 

Let's hope like Hell we aren't left having to win 7 in a row to extend the year. 

Hail. 

I agree with him that RGIII is at 75%, but I don't agree with him he will not improve much this year.  I would say that first game we saw a 60% RGIII while against the Lions he was 75%.  Even with that we are one drop away from winning this game IMO.  AR blew it lets face it.  No QB in the league can have success when his receivers drop such a catchable TD play.  It wasn't even the fact that we would have gone ahead in that play.  We all know football is a game of changing momentum so that one play would have changed the momentum to the Redskins side.  Remember what happened afterwards.  I believe two plays lose of overall yardage.

We all knew we have major holes on D and our offense has not been the same as last year.  But not to see the improvement in our offense and even our D, a little from week to week its simply hating. 

Having said all this, our game against Oakland is it.  If we come out and show ADDITIONAL improvement, in a very weak NFC East, yes we have reason to hope and we will see how much hope we should have after our bye against the Cowboys.

That's my "hope" for sure. What concerns me is that we are 0-3 and don't even touch on our "first place schedule" until after the bye. In short, I thought we'd be a 9 or 10 win team and we've already dropped 2 of the wins I thought we'd get. We'll see. Personally, if we win 6 or 7 and continue to improve, I'll be happy with the big picture.

Not referring to you specifically but the whole "first place schedule" bit is probably one of the more exagerrated characteristics of a season.  It ranks right up there with all the run given to the "Lions have never won in DC" bit from this recent game.  14 of 16 games have nothing to do with the previous season record.  This year the first place schedule got us San Francisco(instead of Seattle) and Atlanta(not sure it would be much better to get New Orleans).

Not referring to you specifically but the whole "first place schedule" bit is probably one of the more exagerrated characteristics of a season.  It ranks right up there with all the run given to the "Lions have never won in DC" bit from this recent game.  14 of 16 games have nothing to do with the previous season record.  This year the first place schedule got us San Francisco(instead of Seattle) and Atlanta(not sure it would be much better to get New Orleans).

True. I wasn't meaning to use it as an excuse, only point out that we are 0-3 and haven't played SF or Atlanta yet. I had us winning 9 games but being 2-1 at this point. We are right in the midst of the soft part of our schedule, which was all I was meaning to point out.

It isnt the 0-3 start that suggests the season is done. Its the crappy defense. This secondary is one of the worst in NFL history right now and is one pace to set a new record for most yards thrown against. I've seen little league defenses that were better. Anyone playing aganist our defense all the coach has to call is WR screen plays and who ever Amerson is defending just send the man deep and they will win everytime.

Yea, but remember the Shotty year when the team went 0-5 and then 5-5.  Sure nothing came of it, but it proves that it can be done if things somehow come together.  I mean, 7 straight last year.  This is not a team I would give up on just yet--but it's coming dangerously close.  

The only part I found interesting was that he thinks RG3 won't improve as the season goes on.

I completely disagree on that point.  I could see him getting his legs back under him after the bye and the skins get back to a respectable 7-8 wins.  Hey that might just be enough in the East.  This division is garbage this year. 

Lately around these parts...the prevailing opinion is that the team should just forfeit the remaining 13 games because te season is already done and over with.

Season not over with a loss at the Raiders. But come back from the bye and lose to those damn Cowturds then that may be it.

We're 0-3, not horrible analysis

Raiders are decent at home. We are a 3 point favorite. Not sure where to go on that one. Pryor will start just coming off that concussion. Lose that then lose to those damn Cowturds then that may be it. We have a horrible scheduel coming up.

Season not over with a loss at the Raiders. But come back from the bye and lose to those damn Cowturds then that may be it.

Nah, season's done if we lose tomorrow. There's no way in hell we're beating Denver, so that means--at best--we'd be 3-5 at the break with games remaining vs. ATL, KC, SF. And if we can't beat the Raiders, I don't see how we'd beat Dallas, Chi, or SD. 

Most articles I read from NFL.com make me /facepalm, including Gil Brandts. How old is he now anyway? Like 110?

I also hate to break it to the Cousins fans, but a 80% RG3 is probably still better than 100% of Kirk Cousins. This team didn't invest this much in a kid that they thought would just run read-option his whole career. He didn't have a real off-season of work, so he's behind in development IMO and still making strides weekly and improving. There were going to be growing pains last year if he was with any other team that made him work in a more traditional NFL offense, and we're seeing it now. The fact he's still getting his legs under him just makes it seem worse than it really is.

The NFC is also down so far this season. The east is particularly poor. The biggest sign of that is Dallas being in first place. They realistically can be 2-3 by the time we come back from the bye and face them. Anyone can come back from 0-3 or even 0-4 by just winning a few and getting back to .500.

Yea, but remember the Shotty year when the team went 0-5 and then 5-5.  Sure nothing came of it, but it proves that it can be done if things somehow come together.  I mean, 7 straight last year.  This is not a team I would give up on just yet--but it's coming dangerously close.  

The schedule is tougher this year. In 2001, we had three home games in a row during that streak, all against crappy to mediocre teams. After this week, we have @Dallas, Chicago, @Denver, and SD--all of those teams are solid and playoff caliber (we're not beating Denver, so you might as well chalk up 4 losses right now). I think we absolutely need to be 4-4 at the halfway point. Again, the schedule is too brutal. People keep comparing this year to other years without accounting for the differences in schedule strength. 

Archived