Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Nfl.com) Gil Brandt Says Our Season Is Done

Redskins Ruckus

Gil Brandt wrote an interesting piece today talking about the teams that were viewed as being strong prior to the season's start. Of course the Redskins are included, but it was eerie to see Mr. Brandt state that RG3 is likely not going to see massive improvements. He also had a subtle jab stating that he talks to the media too much.

Thoughts? His article is here, and it's a good read: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250514/article/giants-redskins-steelers-packers-among-teams-in-trouble

I tend to agree with him.

Gil Brandt wrote an interesting piece today talking about the teams that were viewed as being strong prior to the season's start. Of course the Redskins are included, but it was eerie to see Mr. Brandt state that RG3 is likely not going to see massive improvements. He also had a subtle jab stating that he talks to the media too much.

Thoughts? His article is here, and it's a good read: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250514/article/giants-redskins-steelers-packers-among-teams-in-trouble

He has gotten better each game yet Brandt thinks this won't be a season where he can get better and better as the season goes on? 

There sure is a lot of rushing to brand a player as a finished product with no improvement coming after just three games back from major knee surgery. 

I bolded/underlined what was said and what was refuted. You can't just change someone's opinion to dispute it. The OP mentioned that there wouldn't be massive improvements during the rest of the year. That is far different than you arguing against no improvement.

As far as it relates to the playoffs, I tend to agree with the opinion that our season is done as well. I do however expect to continue improving and hope that we can win 6-7 games from this point forward.

Don't get me wrong. I hope Gil is wrong. I'd love nothing more than to see a Cinderella ending to this season where we go on a massive run. But, that's the fan in me talking, unfortunately.

The only thing I'd say to that is the East is a shockingly bad standard to the point where an under .500 team, let's say 7-9, could well win it. So by that token, we're a long ways from done yet. 

On the flip side, we could well be still a 0/ 1 win team after Dallas 5 games in. To say Sunday is a MUST win game is an understatement. 

Hail. 

Most 0-3 teams don't make the playoffs because they are bad teams.  That's where those percentages come from.

If it's a good team feeling it's way back from an injury or a decent team with a tough schedule, I suspect those odds are much more in our favor.

Most 0-3 teams don't make the playoffs because they are bad teams.  That's where those percentages come from.

If it's a good team feeling it's way back from an injury or a decent team with a tough schedule, I suspect those odds are much more in our favor.

True, it also helps that our division is the worst in the league.

Statistics darn statistics. 

However we dress them up bro', they are what they are. 

Nobody wants to know the odds on 0-4 teams making the post season. 

Hail. 

I bolded/underlined what was said and what was refuted. You can't just change someone's opinion to dispute it. The OP mentioned that there wouldn't be massive improvements during the rest of the year. That is far different than you arguing against no improvement.

I was referring to Brandt not Puckus. 

Unfortunately for Washington, I think the quarterback is as close to normal as he'll be able to get this year; I don't think this is a case where we'll see him get better and better every game. 

That is what I don't agree with since to this point, all we have seen is him get better each game. I was also referring to Brandt and others on this board (not RedskinsPuckus, which is why I didn't quote him) saying Griffin was finished or done and wouldn't improve this year. Two different arguments but I think both are false. 

Statistics darn statistics. 

However we dress them up bro', they are what they are. 

Nobody wants to know the odds on 0-4 teams making the post season. 

Hail. 

If we go 0-4 it's over.  I think that we still make the playoffs.  I truly do, and I think I'm pretty level headed :lol:

But we can't give away another one.  If we show up to December (NYG @ FedEx) at 5-6 I think we have a damn good shot.

And BTW... a healthy Robert rolling into the playoffs and a defense that's un****ed itself?  Ain't nobody got time for that...

That's why sports is so awesome...because its so unpredictable. Mr. Brandt doesn't know with any more certainty what the rest of the season brings anymore than you or I.

I believe in this team and what it is capable of. I'm not ready to write off the rest of the season 3 games in when we play in a weak division and our QB improving each week...no matter how crappy we have played this far.

I wouldn't say our season is done. I mean I don't think anyone is going to run away with the division. If Dallas loses this week to get to 2-2 and we're 1-3 going into the bye. We play Dallas in Week 6. They could be 3-2/2-3 going into our game. Not out of the question that we could be right back in it after the Dallas game.

And BTW... a healthy Robert rolling into the playoffs and a defense that's un****ed itself?  Ain't nobody got time for that...

A D that's *un****ed itself' huh? So you're saying it needs to get worse to get rid of the DC before it gets better?  ;)  :P  :D

BTW bro', NEVER let it be said you don't have a way with words.  :lol:

Hail. 

Haven't read the article yet (and so I'm not knocking it)... but does the team need Griffin to "massively" improve?

I think during the bye week, each defender should be given a compilation of all their poor plays over the first games to see if they can determine their issues (and correct them). Are they not wrapping up? Are they leaving their assignments? are they trying to do too much? Are they falling for jukes or double moves?

If the defense "solved" their tackling and blown assignments issues, I think the team could see a marked improvement. The offense is improving enough that stopping one more scoring drive by the opposing offense might make a huge difference.

The offense was the main culprit last week with their few crucial gaffes, but... a slightly better defense would have given us a great chance at the W.

I was referring to Brandt not Puckus. 

That is what I don't agree with since to this point, all we have seen is him get better each game. I was also referring to Brandt and others on this board (not RedskinsPuckus, which is why I didn't quote him) saying Griffin was finished or done and wouldn't improve this year. Two different arguments but I think both are false. 

I can't tell if calling me Puckus is a slight--only because I have no idea what Puckus means :D

We aren't making the playoffs this year so in that retrospect our season is done. Seeing as how we have made the playoffs once in my adult life I'm ok with that but I'm hoping this RG3 Shanahan thing doesn't turn into a circus(may be to late for that)

Haven't read the article yet (and so I'm not knocking it)... but does the team need Griffin to "massively" improve?

I think during the bye week, each defender should be given a compilation of all their poor plays over the first games to see if they can determine their issues (and correct them). Are they not wrapping up? Are they leaving their assignments? are they trying to do too much? Are they falling for jukes or double moves?

If the defense "solved" their tackling and blown assignments issues, I think the team could see a marked improvement. The offense is improving enough that stopping one more scoring drive by the opposing offense might make a huge difference.

The offense was the main culprit last week with their few crucial gaffes, but... a slightly better defense would have given us a great chance at the W.

Unfortuanately this is easier said then done. Except for the young guys like Rambo & Amerson the old guys are who they are at this point. Merriweather can't tackle so he launches himself into people, Biggers is playing out of position and isn't very good in or out of position.

I remember draft pundits saying Amerson couldn't tackle but so far he seems to be able to hold his own. Rambo has ways to go but is young enough where its not too late.

Archived