Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Kyle Shanahan Learned Anything From Monday Night?

MWAI

I once watched an interview with Bill Parcells, who is a HOF coach. We all know his record and watched him turn around pitiful franchises. He knows what he is talking about.

He once said "if you ever see me call a pitch out in the endzone, you'll know it's time for me to get treatment".  (or something to that affect)

Do you think Kyle now understands why you don't call pitchouts in the endzone and did he learn that from Monday or do you think that the "stubborn gene" runs throughout the Shanahan family and we will see even more pitch outs when we get down inside the 5 yard line.

I couldn't believe he actually called a pitchout in the endzone. Was anybody else shocked?

Lock / NNT this troll please <3

I don't see it as trolling.

It's a fair point.

Tim and Pat were talking about the exact same thing the other day...that even high school coaches know not to call pitches in the end zone.

It's a fair subject to bring up.

Now, pushing Parcells around here on the other hand, that's going to get you flamed bad.

Lock / NNT this troll please <3

Kyle...what are you doing up this time of night. Study that playbook or watch some film and get out of here.

Having over 20+ years of experience as a playcaller in Madden, the pitch is often one of the worst runs to call.  

I like the pitch. So does Parcells. So do a lot of coaches. Just Not In The Endzone.

I still dont know why Thompson was bringing the ball out from inside the 10 on pretty much every punt. Had he let the ball go we could have possibly had a touchback and avoided the situation entirely. That being said, still a bad play call. Especially with RG3 and Morris having had little time to get into sync. 

As a RB, I liked the pitch because I got the ball quicker.  As a run defender, I liked the pitch because I could identify the play quicker.  The advantage in the NFL is anyone's guess.

However, in the endzone it's probably not a sound play call.

So, in short the call sucked.  But it didn't suck nearly as bad as your threads.

If Morris catches the pitch no one notices a thing. 

and if Congress and the President don't spend 17 trillion dollars that we don't have...then this country isn't 17 trillion dollars in debt.

Ya see..the real issue here is If you don't do stupid things or things that have a high probability of failure....then you don't end up second guessing yourself and wondering why you have failed. A failed pitch at the 20 yard line lets you play the next down. A failed pitch in the end zone and its 2 points. How difficult to understand is that point? Well...apparently a HOF coach has lived by it and a bunch of fans and Kyle seem to be ignoring it.

There are risk takers like Kyle for sure...but sometimes they take unnecessary risks and then it's just plain foolishness. In my opinion, THIS was clearly an instance of foolishness.

Kyle has always been super aggressive when we're backed up, calling very high risk plays (play action passes, deep intermediate routes, etc...) instead of the standard run up the middle so many other coaches do out of fear. What usually happens is we own the defense.

I like it, and hope he doesn't change that mentality because of a failure of two NFL players to frigging execute a pitch in the backfield. Seriously, if you're worried about your guys getting that done you shouldn't be coaching at all, let alone calling plays.  

And, you know what? I hope if/when we're backed up again he calls a pitch again, just so he lets any defense know that it could come, we will attack the edge and we're not scared. 

Kyle has always been super aggressive when we're backed up, calling very high risk plays (play action passes, deep intermediate routes, etc...) instead of the standard run up the middle so many other coaches do out of fear. What usually happens is we own the defense.

I like it, and hope he doesn't change that mentality because of a failure of two NFL players to frigging execute a pitch in the backfield. Seriously, if you're worried about your guys getting that done you shouldn't be coaching at all, let alone calling plays.  

And, you know what? I hope if/when we're backed up again he calls a pitch again, just so he lets any defense know that it could come, we will attack the edge and we're not scared. 

Thats true. Even when Grossman was the QB, Kyle would rarely run the ball and would call a PA pass.

and ...

Ya see..the real issue here is If you don't do stupid things or things that have a high probability of failure....

Everyone keeps saying this... that running a pitch play is a really stupid idea in the endzone and so I'll concede that, but the thing that has been playing in my mind is when or where is it a good idea to run a play that has a high liklihood of failure or creating a turnover.  I'd think nowhere and since pitches are run in almost every NFL and college game several times and they are a staple that has been run and drilled into players since they were in Pop Warner, I have to imagine that the play is not considered as high risk as many are saying.

There certainly is an additional risk anytime the ball is in the air and I've always been of the mind that going wide in goal line or short yardage situations are asking for trouble (Kyle loves to go wide on 3rd and one or goal line and it drives me crazy)  Shortest distance, Kyle!  Shortest Distance!  Powerful back can equal Straight line! 

Still, if the toss was such a high risk play it wouldn't be worth playing anywhere on the field because no turnover anywhere is a good thing.

and if Congress and the President don't spend 17 trillion dollars that we don't have...then this country isn't 17 trillion dollars in debt.

Ya see..the real issue here is If you don't do stupid things or things that have a high probability of failure....then you don't end up second guessing yourself and wondering why you have failed. A failed pitch at the 20 yard line lets you play the next down. A failed pitch in the end zone and its 2 points. How difficult to understand is that point? Well...apparently a HOF coach has lived by it and a bunch of fans and Kyle seem to be ignoring it.

There are risk takers like Kyle for sure...but sometimes they take unnecessary risks and then it's just plain foolishness. In my opinion, THIS was clearly an instance of foolishness.

Dude, what is your issue?  Is there anything that you like about this team?

1)  No politics in here.

2)  Parcells is not the god of football.

3)  Joe Gibbs, HOF coach, would never tell you to call a flea flicker.  It gets your quarterback's leg broken.

4)  I can't wait to see your next thread in this series:  "Is Kyle Shanahan Ignoring That I Was Learned That Incomplete Passes Are The Bad?"

Everything that you post is negative, and this thread is ridiculous.

ES really needs an admissions officer.

The pitch was a questionable play call considering the field position. But, the pitch in and of itself is a stable of our offense and of Mike Shanahan Denver WCO. The pitch was one of Terrell Davis best plays and its one of Morris/Helu's best plays.

BUT IF we're really gonna talk about lesson learned from this game:

The Packers, like the Eagles, are gonna play stout against the read-option and the run. This will leave their corners playing alot of man-to-man but there will also be pressure because our OL isn't that stout. Kyle is gonna need an answer to attack the over playing of the read option early. I'm hoping for max-protect hard play-action from a read-option look.

If they choose to stick with the run in the face of 8 (or more) box the run game will need more variety: change up the running game with midline or inside read and/or with some pull/traps and get Helu more then 1 carry

Fred Davis needs more targets.

Mix in more undercenter traditional Denver/Houston offense bootleg action

Archived