Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Kyle Shanahan Learned Anything From Monday Night?

MWAI

It was a dumb call in hindsight, but Kyle is a young gunslinger.  More often than not, his instincts are right on the money.  

Hindsight because it didn't work, it didn't work not because Kyle called it, it didn't work because it was not executed. If the pitch was caught and Morris was tackled in the endzone then it is a bad call. That's not the case. IF a WR drops a sure TD is that also a bad play call? If a defender drops a sure INT was the D Coordinator at fault? 

The premise of this thread fails, it was not a bad play call. 

I bang my head against a wall every time a pitch is called. I swear that play loses yards 95% of the time.

I seem to recall the pitch on the outside zone running play working quite well the last two seasons.  Some fans are more conservative than others - - there are many that cringe on pass plays out of the end-zone as well. 

Hindsight because it didn't work, it didn't work not because Kyle called it, it didn't work because it was not executed. If the pitch was caught and Morris was tackled in the endzone then it is a bad call. That's not the case. IF a WR drops a sure TD is that also a bad play call? If a defender drops a sure INT was the D Coordinator at fault? 

The premise of this thread fails, it was not a bad play call. High risk, yes, High reward comes with high risk. 

Dude, what is your issue?  Is there anything that you like about this team?

1)  No politics in here.

2)  Parcells is not the god of football.

3)  Joe Gibbs, HOF coach, would never tell you to call a flea flicker.  It gets your quarterback's leg broken.

4)  I can't wait to see your next thread in this series:  "Is Kyle Shanahan Ignoring That I Was Learned That Incomplete Passes Are The Bad?"

Everything that you post is negative, and this thread is ridiculous.

ES really needs an admissions officer.

Dude. Saying the thread is ridiculous is a ridiculous retort. By some of the other fans on here, it is apparent that many of us understand that it is not an intelligent call pitching in your own endzone. Obviously you do not understand that yet. And as far as insulting Parcells...a HOF coach...you have just disqualified any of your comments from being taken seriously. Go back to Madden and play.

In of itself it wasn't. 

Backed up in our own EZ it most assuredly was. 

You DON'T take risks back there. Monday we ended up on the wrong side of that risk. 

Hail. 

To be fair, Kyle always goes high-risk back there.  More often than not when we are inside our own five we run a PA pass over the middle (which we did on the previous play and it didn't work).

To be fair, Kyle always goes high-risk back there.  More often than not when we are inside our own five we run a PA pass over the middle (which we did on the previous play and it didn't work).

Still a REAL poor judgement call IMHO when you're backed up in your own EZ. As it proved. 

Play the safe percentages when less things can go wrong. 

Hail. 

Lock / NNT this troll please <3

Somebody didn't get their coffee this morning. So anal of someone to even bother typing this. George Carlin once said about the FCC regarding radio content; "If you don't like whats on, there are 2 knobs on the radio! One turns it off and on, and the other [ headslap ] changes the station!"

Anyhoo, back to topic.  A pitch-out is actually a good play, provided the linemen are on the same page and blocking well, Now, maybe not in the endzone, unless they were rushing 3, but i'm not gonna hop on the bask Kyle bandwagon just yet; last year we saw him calling a mixture of plays throughout the season, opposed to previous coaches' 'run run pass punt' routine.

I'd be more inclined to as how much freedom RGIII has in audibles, if any?

The premise of this thread fails, it was not a bad play call. 

How DARE you use common sense in here!  You know better than that.. :P

and if Congress and the President don't spend 17 trillion dollars that we don't have...then this country isn't 17 trillion dollars in debt.

Ya see..the real issue here is If you don't do stupid things or things that have a high probability of failure....then you don't end up second guessing yourself and wondering why you have failed. A failed pitch at the 20 yard line lets you play the next down. A failed pitch in the end zone and its 2 points. How difficult to understand is that point? Well...apparently a HOF coach has lived by it and a bunch of fans and Kyle seem to be ignoring it.

There are risk takers like Kyle for sure...but sometimes they take unnecessary risks and then it's just plain foolishness. In my opinion, THIS was clearly an instance of foolishness.

First, your actual "main" point was worth as much worth making as any such generic redskins-football thought, but it really could be called as not worth its own thread. It could easily have been a post in an existing thread (several would have worked) which would have been more appropriate. 

More pertinent here, no politics in the stadium, and you've been around long enough to know better. You had previous warning points and now you have more. So take some time out, and know that you have come up on staff radar too often for a "newer" guy. I'd suggest making sure you keep it in the lane for awhile.

I once watched an interview with Bill Parcells, who is a HOF coach. We all know his record and watched him turn around pitiful franchises. He knows what he is talking about.

He once said "if you ever see me call a pitch out in the endzone, you'll know it's time for me to get treatment".  (or something to that affect)

Do you think Kyle now understands why you don't call pitchouts in the endzone and did he learn that from Monday or do you think that the "stubborn gene" runs throughout the Shanahan family and we will see even more pitch outs when we get down inside the 5 yard line.

I couldn't believe he actually called a pitchout in the endzone. Was anybody else shocked?

Actually, should really ask whether or not Haslett learned anything from this since they'll face the IGGLES again. Why the h3ll didn't they have some players jump off-sides, and just take the 5yards as a way to slow down and get in different defensive packages???

Dude. Saying the thread is ridiculous is a ridiculous retort. By some of the other fans on here, it is apparent that many of us understand that it is not an intelligent call pitching in your own endzone. Obviously you do not understand that yet. And as far as insulting Parcells...a HOF coach...you have just disqualified any of your comments from being taken seriously. Go back to Madden and play.

While I appreciate your alliteration, your point is moot.  You still don't understand how things work around here.

Your use of Parcells, and solely Parcells, for one example, is a poor method of arguing.  As I pointed out, Gibbs would not ever call a flea flicker.  I'm pretty sure that we used one in our Thanksgiving win over Dallas last year.  So just because one of the greatest coaches of all-time says something doesn't make it right in all circumstances.  To imply that I insulted Parcells demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part coupled with a defensiveness indicative of a self-awareness of the idiocy of such an idea, and I won't take responsibility for that.

If the pitch works, then you don't make this completely unnecessary thread that could have fit into any number of threads already posted.

You also completely disregard that Kyle is the creator of one of the most potent offenses in the league; you simply cherry pick a single play.  You destroy your own credibility with that.

Not that post count matters, but somehow I've survived through 16,000 posts and nearly eight years on this board without being disregarded.  For you to have the audacity to be here for half an hour with a horrendous posting history, in a thread with a title that makes the irony of you accusing anyone of having a lack of qualification to respond, to tell me that I am disqualified for participating in a discussion is demonstrative of your arrogance and ignorance.

I'm not a mod, and I never want to be, but I am a member of this community who loves this board and has noticed your lack of respect and understanding as to how to communicate with other members.  You are contributing nothing but drivel, and if you want to do that, then this isn't the place for you.

EDIT:  After further review, you've been here for 16 months.  You have no excuse for this crap.  Cut it out.

Everyone keeps saying this... that running a pitch play is a really stupid idea in the endzone and so I'll concede that, but the thing that has been playing in my mind is when or where is it a good idea to run a play that has a high liklihood of failure or creating a turnover.  I'd think nowhere and since pitches are run in almost every NFL and college game several times and they are a staple that has been run and drilled into players since they were in Pop Warner, I have to imagine that the play is not considered as high risk as many are saying.

There certainly is an additional risk anytime the ball is in the air and I've always been of the mind that going wide in goal line or short yardage situations are asking for trouble (Kyle loves to go wide on 3rd and one or goal line and it drives me crazy)  Shortest distance, Kyle!  Shortest Distance!  Powerful back can equal Straight line! 

Still, if the toss was such a high risk play it wouldn't be worth playing anywhere on the field because no turnover anywhere is a good thing.

Burgold, please refrain from talking sense in these threads. It throws the stars out of balance

I don't see it as trolling.

It's a fair point.

Tim and Pat were talking about the exact same thing the other day...that even high school coaches know not to call pitches in the end zone.

It's a fair subject to bring up.

Now, pushing Parcells around here on the other hand, that's going to get you flamed bad.

Of course it's a fair point. 4 days after the Eagles game, we can now all answer with certainty whether or not Kyle has learned anything

The Packers, like the Eagles, are gonna play stout against the read-option and the run. This will leave their corners playing alot of man-to-man but there will also be pressure because our OL isn't that stout. Kyle is gonna need an answer to attack the over playing of the read option early. I'm hoping for max-protect hard play-action from a read-option look.

The Packers played quite a bit of Cover 3 against the 49ers. Based on last week RGIiI is not the run threat he was last year yet though and they may play more Cover 1 out of similar looks and walk a safety up to make an 8 man box and stack against the run. I agree with you though we need to make the Packers pay with play action early if they do stack the box whether against a read option look or or stretch runs.

I still dont know why Thompson was bringing the ball out from inside the 10 on pretty much every punt. Had he let the ball go we could have possibly had a touchback and avoided the situation entirely. That being said, still a bad play call. Especially with RG3 and Morris having had little time to get into sync. 

Thank you. Thompson was driving me absolutely crazy.

Also, I'm glad to see that my picture is getting around lol. I made that "Gryphoning" pic last season for my fantasy football team (Griffin's Gryphons) and I'm still using it this season.

If Morris catches the pitch no one notices a thing. 

Im not sure about that. It looked like Philthy had the outside contained well. I'm not suggesting a safety would have still occurred but it did not look like he was going to break one for 50+ yards either like MTGTM posted earlier. It was just a very bad call with worse execution.

Edit: Plus it was to our all world Right Tackles side of the line.

Hail :)

Im not sure about that. It looked like Philthy had the outside contained well. I'm not suggesting a safety would have still occurred but it did not look like he was going to break one for 50+ yards either like MTGTM posted earlier. It was just a very bad call with worse execution.

Edit: Plus it was to our all world Right Tackles side of the line.

Hail :)

True, but if the pitch is successful, then it's positive yardage and Philly has to be accounting for the outside pitch to the right side the whole time even if we never run to the right again.

I seem to recall the pitch on the outside zone running play working quite well the last two seasons.  Some fans are more conservative than others - - there are many that cringe on pass plays out of the end-zone as well. 

Manyl of our best runs over the last two seasons have come off the pitch.  Don't remember many bad ones.

In of itself it wasn't. 

Backed up in our own EZ it most assuredly was. 

You DON'T take risks back there. Monday we ended up on the wrong side of that risk. 

Hail. 

I disagree GHH, and here is why, the Eagles D was set to be taken advantage of at that stage and the game was at a pivotal point. If it had worked the Redskins would have won the game pure and simple. Some games come down to one or two plays going one way or the other, this time it didn't go our way. I would hope in the same situation that Kyle again reaches into the unpredictable and goes for it. Hesitation has no room for a  confident  team. A winning team is confident. 

True, but if the pitch is successful, then it's positive yardage and Philly has to be accounting for the outside pitch to the right side the whole time even if we never run to the right again.

I don't mind a pitch play, but there are certain areas I don't like them because they are not real effective. On your goal line is one of them. You can run that play another time. It's like running a sweep or a pitch on 3rd or 4th and short. Much bigger chance of going for a loss. You usually have more guys in the box and  because it develops a little slower you tend to get more penetration.

If Morris catches the pitch no one notices a thing. 

I disagree.. As soon as Robert pitched that ball I said WTH!!! The OP is right whether he quoted Bill Parcels or not. You never pitch the ball out of your own endzone! NEVER!!  It's almost like throwing a pass to the flat out of your own endzone... Rob Jackson showed the Bengals and Andy Dalton why that's a mistake last year. 

They weren't on the one yard line. They were on the 5. You can run a pitch from the 5 yard line for crying out loud. They didn't "pitch the ball out of their own endzone". This thread and a lot of the posts in it are the epitome of hindsight is 20/20. There is NO WAY anyone would've mentioned this play otherwise, even if it went for a one yard loss.  

And if you watch the play, there would've been a very nice crease for Morris to run through between Polumbus and Logan Paulsen, with Fred Davis also between themgetting to the 2nd level fast on a LB and doing a good job.   

So, had the simple exchange been executed, Morris would've hit the hole hard and probably got a first down. It was actually a good call. 

They weren't on the one yard line. They were on the 5. You can run a pitch from the 5 yard line for crying out loud. They didn't "pitch the ball out of their own endzone". This thread and a lot of the posts in it are the epitome of hindsight is 20/20. There is NO WAY anyone would've mentioned this play otherwise, even if it went for a one yard loss.  

And if you watch the play, there would've been a very nice crease for Morris to run through between Polumbus and Logan Paulsen, with Fred Davis also between themgetting to the 2nd level fast on a LB and doing a good job.   

So, had the simple exchange been executed, Morris would've hit the hole hard and probably got a first down. It was actually a good call. 

That's what I was trying to say. I don't think Morris would have gone 50 yards on the play I just meant if he catches it and gets even a handful of yards I don't think this thread exists.

We weren't downed at the one yardline. You can't be afraid to call plays. If everybody thinks this then it's actually a good call despite risky because the Eagles shouldn't have been expecting it at all.

Archived