Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Kyle Shanahan Learned Anything From Monday Night?

MWAI

Just so I'm clear....OP is roasting Kyle because Almo dropped the pitch.

To quote the minion from Despicable Me...."Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

No, the OP is roasting Kyle because he gave Alfred Morris a better chance to drop the pitch.  It's not about the execution of the play, if Morris did catch, I still would have called it dumb. 

Pitches are riskier than hand-offs. There is no way in hell he should have called that play.

I posted this in the Green Bay prediction thread, I didn't know this thread existed so I am going to re-post it here...

... Kyle Shanahan is my man. With that being said, if he ever runs a toss play out of his team's own endzone again, I will personally choke him out. What the heck was he thinking??

No, the OP is roasting Kyle because he gave Alfred Morris a better chance to drop the pitch.  It's not about the execution of the play, if Morris did catch, I still would have called it dumb. 

Pitches are riskier than hand-offs. There is no way in hell he should have called that play.

I posted this in the Green Bay prediction thread, I didn't know this thread existed so I am going to re-post it here...

... Kyle Shanahan is my man. With that being said, if he ever runs a toss play out of his team's own endzone again, I will personally choke him out. What the heck was he thinking??

Oh - I get it. I was angry when it happened, and I completely know where you're coming from. I may beat you to it (jui jitsu is my stuff).  This thread would be completely different if Almo busts through for 10-15.  "Did you see the playcalling...it was amazing..."

My point was we just established a "pre game discussion thread" that this was more suitable for than its own thread.  Just poor sarcasm on my part.  :blush:

Ok, I think I may need to learn something here about football. 

At what point, according to ES, is it ok to run a pitch when you're backed up on the goal line? Is it allowed at the 8 yard line? How about the 6? Or never within the 10?

I keep seeing it was a mistake to run a pitch "from our own endzone". I'm just trying to understand what that means, exactly. Since we're nitpicking here, I'd also like to join in on nitpicking. Good times. :) 

At what point does it become acceptable? I'd like to forward this to Kyle, so he can learned.   

They weren't on the one yard line. They were on the 5. You can run a pitch from the 5 yard line for crying out loud. They didn't "pitch the ball out of their own endzone". This thread and a lot of the posts in it are the epitome of hindsight is 20/20. There is NO WAY anyone would've mentioned this play otherwise, even if it went for a one yard loss.  

And if you watch the play, there would've been a very nice crease for Morris to run through between Polumbus and Logan Paulsen, with Fred Davis also between themgetting to the 2nd level fast on a LB and doing a good job.   

So, had the simple exchange been executed, Morris would've hit the hole hard and probably got a first down. It was actually a good call. 

I need to rewatch that play again. I didnt see the running lane like you mentioned. Not saying it wasnt there because i know you wouldnt lie about it. Just seemed like the OLB was on top of the pitch in a hurry. Maybe I was seeing so much red in my anger to remember what I saw. lol

Hail

If the call is so crazy and dumb, then surely a defense won't be anticipating it.

I can understand that line of thinking.  Looked like a nice little lane too.  Hell, if it was gonna be done, I woulda gone a step further and put a burner like Thompson or even Aldrick back there.  If that play had gone for a TD holy **** lol

I need to rewatch that play again. I didnt see the running lane like you mentioned. Not saying it wasnt there because i know you wouldnt lie about it. Just seemed like the OLB was on top of the pitch in a hurry. Maybe I was seeing so much red in my anger to remember what I saw. lol

Hail

I know what you're talking about. You're talking about the OLB on the right side of our offense pushing up the field quickly. However, he was the lone guy and he basically pushed himself out of the play as Paulsen got on him. He left a huge hole and Morris would've had a quick cut right up where Polumbus and Fred Davis were lined up. Polumbus did a good job blocking his guy and Fred Davis got to the second level real quick to get his head on a LB. Morris' power alone when he hits his one-step and go would've garnered 6 yards, if not more so long as Fred Davis sustains his block.

It was a good call. Watch the play again. And I appreciate your open mindedness on the subject. :)

I disagree.. As soon as Robert pitched that ball I said WTH!!! The OP is right whether he quoted Bill Parcels or not. You never pitch the ball out of your own endzone! NEVER!!  It's almost like throwing a pass to the flat out of your own endzone... Rob Jackson showed the Bengals and Andy Dalton why that's a mistake last year. 

Throwing to the full back in the flat after some kind of run action inside your 5 (the famous "spider" in spider 2 Y banana - spider being strong power) is a staple in every NFL playbook. On the pich play my view is I was not in love with the call but it was the execution which stunk not the call - poor pitch by the QB and bad concentration by the running back.

I know what you're talking about. You're talking about the OLB on the right side of our offense pushing up the field quickly. However, he was the lone guy and he basically pushed himself out of the play as Paulsen got on him. He left a huge hole and Morris would've had a quick cut right up where Polumbus and Fred Davis were lined up. Polumbus did a good job blocking his guy and Fred Davis got to the second level real quick to get his head on a LB. Morris' power alone when he hits his one-step and go would've garnered 6 yards, if not more so long as Fred Davis sustains his block.

It was a good call. Watch the play again. And I appreciate your open mindedness on the subject. :)

From the photos posted earlier, I see 3 defenders already keyed on Morris and already running towards the point where they'd meet.  Assuming Fred would take out the nearest LB, it looks like it'd be about a 2-yard gain to me, bc the safety's about 10 yards from the LOS and the other oncoming, unblocked LB is already about as far away as Morris from the LOS.  It also looks like Morris is angled to go wide and would've had to cut a little to hit that C gap.

Oops let me correct that bc it looks like Will M. is poised to take out that 2nd LB.  So if the blocks were successful it'd be Morris vs. the oncoming S, meeting around the two or three.

What Kyle should've learned, is that when going against an inexperienced 34 defense, that he should've gone to the 21 personnel grouping...

He played right into the Eagles hand by allowing them their sub packages on the field.

Philly also out coached us by keeping our 34 off the field.

*sigh

It's learnt.

Turnovers happen to every team. I want KS to have a provision for it if happens in the 1st quarter. Prepare for it in practice. Go  5 wide if they are loading up the box. 

The first few series appear critical for him establishing what he wants to do, and everyone knows we want to establish the run to setup play action.

Would it be completely stupid to go play action on first down to start games?  I think Kyle has sold his run first offense well enough that he doesn't even need to establish the run within a given game. Just a few times a year, start a game in play action.

Or, go PA on our first play until teams start to respect our passing game.

I would like Kyle to have more balance in his approach to starting games. Make people respect our pass, too. KS pushes all in on Morris to start games but we have other weapons. 

well, the answer to the question that I posed when I started this thread.....the answer to this whole thread is.......

We will see on Sunday...

No pitch back in the end zone Sunday doesn't answer anything.  What are you talking about.

All no pitch back in the end zone on Sunday would mean is there is no pitch back called in the end zone on Sunday.  :rolleyes:

well, the answer to the question that I posed when I started this thread.....the answer to this whole thread is.......

We will see on Sunday...

Normally you don't toss pitches in the end zone.

It was bad play calling. There is possibly 800+ plays in the NFL and if you flip them, then possibility 1600+. Even screens in that part of the field are frowned on; depending on who you ask.

But yes he learned that you don't call that play if he could do it all over again.

If I stub my toe, I should have worn shoes, but if I don't the carpet feels really great on my toes. 

Morris catches the toss and goes one on one against a safety or LBer outside, he would gain how many yards? _____________

Oh wait we are second guessing professionals and jumping to uneducated conclusions. Nobody here second guesses that call if it picks up five yards or goes for a long gain, nobody. 

Here's some things I learnt long ago:

1. People who seem to deeply need to troll (whether baldly or "more cleverly") and/or keep creating multiple accts to keep accessing sites they were banned from should really get a life---especially when they make their little sock puppets talk to each other on a board. Some of us just crack up watching that for awhile. Fun for some of us on our side to just let such guys play for awhile at times, even if we know who they are right away. But on their end, wow. Whatever.  :wacko:

2. Football message board-wise as a generalization, posters rarely look as clueless when pontificating about topics as they do when they put on their  "play-calling analysis" cone-shaped headgear (predictably enough). We all know Madden managed to be an excellent carrier of the "learnt just enough to be dangerous to myself at times" virus.  :D

(Really, Madden has elevated potential knowledge of the game over a broad, if unstable :lol:, audience and is now a generation-shaping tool (for tools? you decide :P ).

However, wise application of any such knowledge obtained to the actual games, and an understanding that Madden is NOT the same as the real thing, remains suspect, case by case. ;)

(I leave the civilization-eroding qualities of online gaming aside.)

Also, I note the "appeal to authority" argument in classical logic---the fact is, however rare it may be overall, an informed (and at least half-way emotionally balanced  :D) layman can accurately criticize an expert. Granted, I used the words "rare" and "overall", because in the mind of many posters/readers, the frequency of this possibility as being what actually happens gets exaggerated by a few orders of magnitude.  :P

3. We have many ES'ers here who can bring real football-knowledgeable posts (usually on more than one side of the issue) that are able to elevate any conversation, even ones that might seemed "doomed to stupid" when they are started. :)

So as always, my appreciation as a long time ES'er to all the excellent posters we have on this board.   B) 

BTW, I don't like that call either:huh:. Maybe it's like Redskins Feb postulated, and the idea was get Morris one on one with a safety close to the goal, and you bet on him. Or there was another angle yet to be mentioned, or it really was just a bad call--but it has been pointed out that it's hardly some bizarre form of play call in that area in this league, historically.

Whatever the reasoning was there (and all the details only a few folks on the field know), I am smart enough to know that while I know more than most, I don't know all that much compared to guys who really (not imagining it in their own head) know a lot  :unsure:  :lol: .

I am informed enough that I can usually tell the posters who really don't know nearly as much as they seem to think they do, form those who actually know real football. Not hard really, after awhile. Lots of noise, attitude, opinions, and attention-seeking, but little in the way of  impressive football acumen of a high standard, and often accompanied by certain behavioral traits (as shown in broad and extended communication via text) that stand out in contrast to people who really do know the real ****.

I now have to go recover from a toxic level of smiley usage. My apologies to everyone.

Here's some things I learnt long ago:

1. People who seem to deeply need to troll (whether baldly or "more cleverly") and/or keep creating multiple accts to keep accessing sites they were banned from should really get a life---especially when they make their little sock puppets talk to each other on a board. Some of us just crack up watching that for awhile. Fun for some of us on our side to just let such guys play for awhile at times, even if we know who they are right away. But on their end, wow. Whatever.  :wacko:

2. Football message board-wise as a generalization, posters rarely look as clueless when pontificating about topics as they do when they put on their  "play-calling analysis" cone-shaped headgear (predictably enough). We all know Madden managed to be an excellent carrier of the "learnt just enough to be dangerous to myself at times" virus.  :D

(Really, Madden has elevated potential knowledge of the game over a broad, if unstable :lol:, audience and is now a generation-shaping tool (for tools? you decide :P ).

However, wise application of any such knowledge obtained to the actual games, and an understanding that Madden is NOT the same as the real thing, remains suspect, case by case. ;)

(I leave the civilization-eroding qualities of online gaming aside.)

Also, I note the "appeal to authority" argument in classical logic---the fact is, however rare it may be overall, an informed (and at least half-way emotionally balanced  :D) layman can accurately criticize an expert. Granted, I used the words "rare" and "overall", because in the mind of many posters/readers, the frequency of this possibility as being what actually happens gets exaggerated by a few orders of magnitude.  :P

3. We have ES'ers here always those who can bring real football posts (usually on more than one side of the issue) that are able to elevate any conversation, even ones that might seemed "doomed to stupid" when they are started. :)

So as always, my appreciation as a long time ES'er to all the excellent posters we have on this board.   B) 

BTW, I don't like that call either:huh:. Maybe it's like Redskins Feb postulated, and the idea was get Morris one on one with a safety close to the goal, and you bet on him. Or there was another angle yet to be mentioned, or it really was just a bad call--but it has been pointed out that it's hardly some bizarre form of play call in that area in this league, historically.

Whatever the reasoning was there (and all the details only a few folks on the field know), I am smart enough to know that while I know more than most, I don't know all that much compared to guys who really (not imagining it in their own head) know a lot  :unsure:  :lol: .

I am informed enough that I can usually tell the posters who really don't know nearly as much as they seem to think they do, form those who actually know real football. Not hard really, after awhile. Lots of noise, attitude, opinions, and attention-seeking, but little in the way of  impressive football acumen of a high standard, and often accompanied by certain behavioral traits (as shown in broad and extended communication via text) that stand out in contrast to people who really do know the real ****.

I now have to go recover from a toxic level of smiley usage. My apologies to everyone.

Ppl honest to God do this??? 

We are questioning one call and trying to make Kyle Shanahan out to be a boob. The we are trying to imply that Bill Parcells is a genuis because he has turned around several franchises to be winning programs. Well I disagree. Bill Parcells might of won at every place he has gone to but he never turned around their franchise. Miami is still a dibocale, Dallas is still trying to figure out if Tony Romo sits to pee is the guy, New England never continued winning after he left, and the Jets, well actions speak louder than words. He has only won two Super Bowls with the Giants and has never gotten any other team to win one let alone get to the Super Bowl. But people make him out to be the guy to hire if you want to get back on the winning track but not to a Super Bowl. But I thought the objective of hiring a coach is to win the Lombardi trophy? or Am I the only one that thinks that?

We are questioning one call and trying to make Kyle Shanahan out to be a boob. The we are trying to imply that Bill Parcells is a genuis because he has turned around several franchises to be winning programs. Well I disagree. Bill Parcells might of won at every place he has gone to but he never turned around their franchise. Miami is still a dibocale, Dallas is still trying to figure out if Tony Romo sits to pee is the guy, New England never continued winning after he left, and the Jets, well actions speak louder than words. He has only won two Super Bowls with the Giants and has never gotten any other team to win one let alone get to the Super Bowl. But people make him out to be the guy to hire if you want to get back on the winning track but not to a Super Bowl. But I thought the objective of hiring a coach is to win the Lombardi trophy? or Am I the only one that thinks that?

He took NE to a super bowl

Brave, first edit your quote to comply with rule 11.  :)

Second, if you have to ask, I better get around to running my sniffer programs on your account, or ask to see a passport proving you're eligible to visit our planet.  :P

Actually from time to time, I give little behind the scenes looks at how crazy people are (well beyond some the **** they do in open posting) about this stuff in PMs and e-mails. The internet is a fascinating if uncontrolled petri dish, as well as providing unprecedented companionship for those who would previously (and appropriately <old devil smiley>) be ridiculed and ostracized. :blink:   :lol:

But let me leave now, with something well and truly OT (don't emulate me), but totally positive.

BikiniBabewithCar.jpg

Archived