Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rg3 Knee Brace..... Deception Or Reality?: Lies Either Way.

MWAI

RG3 has been medically cleared. He is 100 percent by his own admission. There are no concerns according to Mike Shanahan. So why is RG3 wearing a knee brace? It appears by wearing a brace that his knee is not stable enough on his own...by the definition of 'BRACE" (to support or hold in place). So once again...if he is 100 percent...WHY does he wear a brace?

If the REALITY is that his knee is still healing, still tender, still weak, then yes he needs a brace and he should not be playing and we have all been lied to. Anybody with any common sense knows that if he is hit by a 250 pound linebacker on the knee, that a plastic brace will do nothing. So why the brace?

On other hand...which is a definite possibility(knowing Shanahan), this could be a deception in order to lure the Eagles into a false sense of gameplanning. Are the Eagles focusing less on the read option and more on the passing game, and come Monday night, Robert will take off and run for 35 yards down the sideline....not limp down the field with a brace on.

Well, I have no idea but it occurred to me that somebody is lying or being deceptive to somebody either way. Either he doesn't really need a brace because he is 100 percent, or he is not 100 percent and he needs that brace to help stabilize his knee during runs. Somebody is not telling it the way it is.

This is an obvious fact that has been staring everybody in the media in the face and I have not heard anybody quiz Robert or the Shanahan's on it. Just food for thought here for Redskins fans.

RG3 has been medically cleared. He is 100 percent by his own admission. There are no concerns according to Mike Shanahan. So why is RG3 wearing a knee brace? It appears by wearing a brace that his knee is not stable enough on his own...by the definition of 'BRACE" (to support or hold in place). So once again...if he is 100 percent...WHY does he wear a brace?

If the REALITY is that his knee is still healing, still tender, still weak, then yes he needs a brace and he should not be playing and we have all been lied to. Anybody with any common sense knows that if he is hit by a 250 pound linebacker on the knee, that a plastic brace will do nothing. So why the brace?

On other hand...which is a definite possibility(knowing Shanahan), this could be a deception in order to lure the Eagles into a false sense of gameplanning. Are the Eagles focusing less on the read option and more on the passing game, and come Monday night, Robert will take off and run for 35 yards down the sideline....not limp down the field with a brace on.

Well, I have no idea but it occurred to me that somebody is lying or being deceptive to somebody either way. Either he doesn't really need a brace because he is 100 percent, or he is not 100 percent and he needs that brace to help stabilize his knee during runs. Somebody is not telling it the way it is.

This is an obvious fact that has been staring everybody in the media in the face and I have not heard anybody quiz Robert or the Shanahan's on it. Just food for thought here for Redskins fans.

He needs the brace because Redskin fans would be calling for Mike Shanahan's head if RGIII was playing without a brace after the knee injury. lol  

Ever occur to you that the brace is to stabilize and prevent future injury instead  of protecting an existing one? Almost every college lineman wears a similar brace.

Are you talking about LINEMEN...you mean those big ugly guys that run about 3 steps on each play. Seriously though, why don't all running backs, receivers, and all QB's wear a knee brace if it is to PREVENT future injury?

I think you are being naive.

Robert played a whole year in college with a brace.  If he wants to wear it, who are we to question that?

I, for one, have heard enough about Robert's knee.  Let it play out on the field.

I believe you read my whole post, and absorbed approximately 1 percent of what you read. It had nothing at all to do with if Robert wants to wear a knee brace. It has everything to do with what we have been told. By DEFINITION....a brace "supports or holds in place". That means that the person wearing it will never run as fast or be able to maneuver as well, because if the person could do this, then everybody in the NFL and Baseball and Track would be wearing knee braces.

This is all about, what we have been told....not about choices.

You are mistaking "cleared for football" and "100% healthy" with "nothing ever happened." Make no mistake, RG3's knee is not 100%. It is just good enough to play, and given that there is technically no medical problem with it, it is "100% healthy." But that doesn't mean it is as strong as it used to be or as it will be in the future.

I recently read that Adrian Peterson said he was "dragging his leg" for the first half of last season. He was cleared for football. He was safe (as safe as a football player can be). But that doesn't mean he was 100%.

And given that AP had a month longer to recover than RG3 and is just as, if not moreso, freakish of an athlete, it is a pretty good bet that RG3 is not 100%. That's probably why he wears the brace. My guess would be it's partly for performance- the brace makes up for some weakness in the knee while he continues to recover, and should make his running more fluid, and partly for safety. Yes, safety. Again, being medically cleared doesn't mean there is no risk. And it doesn't mean they are rushing him back. All it means is that he's better off with it. I've seen plenty of players wear a brace, tape, cast.

By DEFINITION....a brace "supports or holds in place".

A brace can also be used to limit motion.  So it would only be supporting the knee or holding it in place during a hit.  Robert may be 100% during drop backs, hand offs, rollouts and runs.  The brace is then added "support" during tackles...

You are mistaking "cleared for football" and "100% healthy" with "nothing ever happened." Make no mistake, RG3's knee is not 100%. It is just good enough to play, and given that there is technically no medical problem with it, it is "100% healthy." But that doesn't mean it is as strong as it used to be or as it will be in the future.

I recently read that Adrian Peterson said he was "dragging his leg" for the first half of last season. He was cleared for football. He was safe (as safe as a football player can be). But that doesn't mean he was 100%.

And given that AP had a month longer to recover than RG3 and is just as, if not moreso, freakish of an athlete, it is a pretty good bet that RG3 is not 100%. That's probably why he wears the brace. My guess would be it's partly for performance- the brace makes up for some weakness in the knee while he continues to recover, and should make his running more fluid, and partly for safety. Yes, safety. Again, being medically cleared doesn't mean there is no risk. And it doesn't mean they are rushing him back. All it means is that he's better off with it. I've seen plenty of players wear a brace, tape, cast.

thank you. you made my point and supported my claim that somebody has lied when you said "RG3's knee is not 100%". As I stated earlier, I think that is obvious. His knee is good, he can play, he has been cleared, but it is not 100 percent and that is all I have been saying. I think you defined the whole situation better than anybody in the media did. I just wanted to point out that fans should not be surprised if RG3 appears to be somewhat less than what we saw last year as long as he is wearing that brace because he IS somewhat less than he was as long as he wears the brace.

I've sprained/broken/slightly fractured both of my ankles like 10 times. My ankles have no pain in them and feel at 100% right now, but any time I go play basketball, soccer, or whatever with my friends I put ankle braces on both ankles.

After injuring a certain part of your body, you just like to know that you have extra support than needed to minimize the risk of further injury. It's really that simple.  

Seriously. Who cares what 'we've been told?'

Anyone that believes ANYTHING Shanahan says is more gullible than a Cowboys fan watching ESPN and screaming 'HELL YEAH WE'RE HEADED FOR THE SHOW!' And 10 wants to play. Even if his knee isn't '100%', he wants, rightly, to give the perception to anyone and everyone that it is. Give away NOTHING!

FWIW, I fully believe Robert and presume the medical guys are just playing safe and he/ we are rightly rolling with that to protect our investment the best we can. 

But seriously, whether the knee is fully healed or not, who gives a flying ____ what 'we've been told?' 

If 10's noticeably struggling this year, then you have a point. But let's see what he looks like on Monday Night first huh before we start delving deep into something that's not much of anything to start with. 

Hail. 

He needs to shed the brace.  If the knee is healthy and 100 percent, its healthy and 100 percent.  Period.  We need his 4.3 speed.  Otherwise he's NO FASTER THAN WILSON OR KAEPERNICK.  NO ADVANTAGE!!!

That's why we drafted him.  Dual threat.  We need him to be able to take it to the house, at will, as he did against the Vikings.

Is this topic serious? 

I thought it was common for ppl with knee injury history to wear braces. Hell, D-Rose wore knee braces before he even tore his ACL. 

He needs to shed the brace.  If the knee is healthy and 100 percent, its healthy and 100 percent.  Period.  We need his 4.3 speed.  Otherwise he's NO FASTER THAN WILSON OR KAEPERNICK.  NO ADVANTAGE!!!

That's why we drafted him.  Dual threat.  We need him to be able to take it to the house, at will, as he did against the Vikings.

Um...what?

Wilson and Kaep are both fast. That's not much of a downgrade

That's absolutely not why we drafted him. We drafted him because we needed a guy who was good at throwing the football. Which he is. And he was the best passer available to us. He just happens to be extremely fast.

The dual threat is nice. It clearly gives the offense a boost. But if RG3 had Tom Brady's speed, he would still be a promising player.

I am just so sick and third of these stupid conspiracy theories. The coaches, trainers, and docs now what they are doing. I really believe that after the mistakes made in the playoffs last year, no one will take chances again. Leave it and move on. Nothing to see here.

I can't wait until Monday at about 6:54pm EDT, because threads like this will hopefully cease to exist! Please, God .. make it Monday night already!

Next person to start a new thread discussing the conspiracies surrounding RG3's knee gets it!  But I'm sure some dumbass is going to connect Dr. Andrews with Al Qaeda in 3 .. 2 ..

Perhaps they aren't quizzing them on it because it isn't an "obvious fact" to anyone but you. You seem to be confusing "opinion" and "obvious fact". Don't worry, it seems to happen a lot. 

It is far from uncommon for a player coming back from an injury like that to wear a knee brace at least for the next season. Maybe its for the player's peace of mind, maybe its the doctors and coaches being super cautious. Who knows. Either way, move along...nothing to see here.

The brace didnt seem to do him much good last year, as far as protecting him from injury.

How do you know that? For all you know, the knee would have bent sideways and snapped on his first play from scrimmage in philly if it hadn't been for the brace. Don't speculate like you have any idea.

Archived