Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Think We All Know A Good Football Team When We See One...

Hardcore Zornography

This is a very good and very solid football team with much more talent than many analyst have taken notice too. This is a "team" now, not a bunch of me players, who have pro bowl players returning healthy, are well coached, and who believe in and feed off of each other.

For the 1st time since the 1st Joe Gibbs era, this team has stayed together, with just about every player returning from the NFC East Championship team last year. This is how championship team are built and formed.  

This entire team and organization looks to have taken that extra step needed to become an elite team, and they are showing it each week. Yes it's preseason but its the Starting team as well as the backups that are playing solid football, not like the Spurrier days where our backups won those preseason games.

This is a football team that I feel could not only beat any team in the NFL, but beat them 2 out of 3 times. To think this team won't be in the championship hunt come January and February is plain foolish. The 2013 Washington Redskins are without a doubt a Super Bowl contender, this team could win that Lombardi Trophy!

I have no problem with people preaching cautious optimism, because this is afterall only the pre-season, but any comparisons of this current incarnation of the Redskins to the Spurrier era is a joke.  

This is a different time, and a different team, built a completely different way.  What is more encouraging than the wins is the manner in which we are getting them, and the depth and play of the team from top to bottom.  While far from perfect, there is no reason to believe at this point that the 2013 Washington Redskins will be anything less than a contender.

Yesterday's win and Osaka have nothing in common other than they were both big wins.     

Well said. Spurrier was an unknown. We have seen this team win. We have seen them go 7-0 down the stretch. We have seen them win the division. We have seen this offense run over Seattle's "dominate" defense in the playoff game until RG3 got hurt. The offense, with a healthy RG3, will be dominant.

As we have seen over the past few years, if you have a dominant offense you can get away with a below average defense. Green Bay won with the 32nd ranked D (in yardage). New England has been very good the past 3 years with a defense no better than 25th. Our defense, especially early last year, was historically bad. You saw what the team could do late in the year when it began playing closer to below average. We don't need it to be good, it just has to not be horrific.

I haven't missed a game since 1970 and it all boils down to one simple thing...INJURIES. We will either suffer and struggle or not. HTTR!

Yep, but Shanahan has alluded to the idea building quality depth is the only way to combat this unknown.  And he's done that, with a couple exceptions I'd say.  The two players I don't think we can afford to have go down are G3 (but not bc of depth per se) and Trent.  Maybe Monty.  S looks thin, but those are our starters, ha.

Winning doesn't matter.  Efficiency does.  The O looks like it's in sync and very comfortable. That's a good sign.  We're not pulling out all stops to win, but just executing well.  In fact, yesterday some of our twos were beating their ones.  Look at the fact that Buffalo put Spiller out there after getting his knee hurt.  That's a team that was trying to win.

I don't know if we are a good team. We collectively have the best group of quarterbacks in the league. Majority of teams have crap qb after the first stringer. And I don't like our run defense either. Both the titans and the Steelers were able to gash us running the ball. At least the first stringers did.

I won't make any judgments until I see them in regular season games.

It is still preseason. I wish we would stfu with all the premature optimism and wait until we start winning some games before crowning ourselves as the 1 to 3 seed and the team to beat. I've been in the situation far too often when we look good in the preseason, start to toot our horns and brag about the damage we were gonna do only to have our hearts ripped out with another abysmal season...and you immediately think of all the bad karmayou caused when you got ****y. I'm all for hoping we have a winning season or beyond, but please...lets pump the brakes and see how the season plays out.

I agree about not jumping to playoff conclusions (particularly the seeding comments), but... it's a lot different this year compared with others given our success last year. This ain't Spurrier type hype. This optimism has been earned.

Both the titans and the Steelers were able to gash us running the ball. At least the first stringers did.

When going up against our make-shift 1st team defense, here are all of the Steelers' rushing attempts in their first 5 drives:

4 yds

1 yds

1 yds

12 yds

3 yds

- 4 yds

4 yds

5 yds

3 yds

14 yds

1 yd

You call that "gashing"?...

I don't know if we are a good team. We collectively have the best group of quarterbacks in the league. Majority of teams have crap qb after the first stringer. And I don't like our run defense either. Both the titans and the Steelers were able to gash us running the ball. At least the first stringers did.

I won't make any judgments until I see them in regular season games.

Run D was great against the Steelers and Bills this week. The greatest strength defensively is the run D. This was proven last year (5th overall ranking in run D) and it's reasonable to expect similar results with our front 7 remaining the same. 

It is still preseason. I wish we would stfu with all the premature optimism and wait until we start winning some games before crowning ourselves as the 1 to 3 seed and the team to beat. I've been in the situation far too often when we look good in the preseason, start to toot our horns and brag about the damage we were gonna do only to have our hearts ripped out with another abysmal season..

When has that happened? I can't recall a single time that has lol...

Well said. Spurrier was an unknown. We have seen this team win. We have seen them go 7-0 down the stretch. We have seen them win the division. We have seen this offense run over Seattle's "dominate" defense in the playoff game until RG3 got hurt. The offense, with a healthy RG3, will be dominant.

As we have seen over the past few years, if you have a dominant offense you can get away with a below average defense. Green Bay won with the 32nd ranked D (in yardage). New England has been very good the past 3 years with a defense no better than 25th. Our defense, especially early last year, was historically bad. You saw what the team could do late in the year when it began playing closer to below average. We don't need it to be good, it just has to not be horrific.

Are you talking about GB's SB year? Because they had the #2 scoring defense that year.

Run D was great against the Steelers and Bills this week. The greatest strength defensively is the run D. This was proven last year (5th overall ranking in run D) and it's reasonable to expect similar results with our front 7 remaining the same.

I don't necessarily disagree, but rush yds/game is not the best metric for judging run defense.

Are you talking about GB's SB year? Because they had the #2 scoring defense that year.

Yeah, yds against is far less telling than pts against, turnovers, or defensive scoring.

Ha ha, I can't believe this is still a question mark with some fans. This team was a contender in '12. With a healthy Sticks, this team would have at least made it to the big dance. Hell, even if Cousins would have come in that game with a reasonable amount of time left, we would have still been rolling through the playoffs (Robert was hurt on our first scoring drive and should have been sidelined). 

What this team failed to realize early last season was that it takes more than talent. When they became a band of brothers during the bye is when they started dominating. 

I challenge anyone that has the NFL League Pass, YouTube, etc. to find any similarities with the current team to previous teams sans during the Gibbs I era. It's okay for us to let go of the hurt now. I know it's extremely hard for the younger fans but this is a team that we don't have to expect to lose anymore. We're THAT good!

Ha ha, I can't believe this is still a question mark with some fans.

I challenge anyone that has the NFL League Pass, YouTube, etc. to find any similarities with the current team to previous teams sans during the Gibbs I era. It's okay for us to let go of the hurt now. I know it's extremely hard for the younger fans but this is a team that we don't have to expect to lose anymore. We're THAT good!

Just to build on this... we've been that good all the while starting our 2nd or third string qb and rb.  Our stars have seen almost no time at all during the preseason games.  No RGIII of course, but very, very little Morris or Garcon.

What this team failed to realize early last season was that it takes more than talent. When they became a band of brothers during the bye is when they started dominating. 

I challenge anyone that has the NFL League Pass, YouTube, etc. to find any similarities with the current team to previous teams sans during the Gibbs I era. .....

In terms of talent there is no comparison. 

In terms of coming together as one then the 4 game run-in in '07 from 5-7 and dead to 9-7 and in after #21's tragic loss is the only other one that I can equate to last season's momentum filled finish. 

Hail. 

It is going to take a lot of therapy (winning) for this fanbase, especially the younger ones, to recover from the abusive relationship that has been the last 20 years.

Best of all, after 20 years of the misery of bad bounces, the worst possible injuries and generally terrible luck, this team is finally the one catching the breaks.  The dropped pick-six and the "fumble-back-to-myself" plays were examples of moments that always ended in disaster for us before.

As the lottery winner said, lucky money spends just like earned money.

In this league being good isn't enough, you also need luck on your side.

The feeling and direction has certainly changed.  Real football minds in charge, a GM that makes the right money decisions...coaching stability for consecutive seasons that have been able to draft and build the roster and get their guys. Snyder took a step back but still is the biggest fan and supports the team with all he can as he always has.

This is a better team, much better with a great mix of young players that are hungry and are difference makers along with great vets and leadership. The secondary is still a question, no team is perfect. But yes, we're competitive, and if Robert remains healthy I feel we have a chance to beat any team any week.  I think most of us feel something good is happening, finally...not quite there yet, but more than on the right path for success imo.

HTTR!

Count me in.

They have been winning with good solid football. Lots of depth at almost every position. Secondary is still a concern but I think they will be improved along with our pass rush and overall D. Offense could be scary good. If everyone stays healthy, we could light some teams up. I think we could have a real contender.

I agree, but we looked like barnstormers during Spurrier's reign one preseason.  So I'm not holding my breath yet.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, didn't the 1991 'Skins look pretty bad in the preseason?

I really hope you're right, OP, but so much can happen between now and February.

:D LOL I can't recall it either.

Typically we suck in preseason and this thread in the past is an argument with posters about why preseason means nothing :lol:

Exactly lol...I can recall numerous times we have SUCKED and got into lengthy arguments on ES like you said. But those numerous times we've looked good in the preseason? Hell, naw lol.

Archived