Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Jaworski Says The Redskins Won't Make The Playoffs ?

Red_dog1

Jaws is about sensationalism, he also said "Kaepernick could be the greatest QB of all time!" I guess he figures the players union will never cave on HGH testing????

Apparently he doesn't know the Vikings are a football team.

Listening to Jaws, is like getting excited watching someone trying to fit a square peg into a round hole....

Why can't we just watch the season and go w/what ACTUALLY happens as opposed to analyzing what these maroons say about what our team will or will not do? I could care less where these so called "experts" say we will finish...what counts is where we actually finish..let go of what others think of the team..and enjoy the season as it unfolds...

I concur with MWAI's post. A lot of analysts from Bristol CT to barstools and cafeteria tables across America, reach for the low hanging fruit. With a spotty secondary, A QB coming back from injury, O line depth questions, fallout from an unjust cap penalty, and the fact that we haven't had back to back playoff appearances in a generation and it isn't hard to see why outsiders are skeptical.

Some pundits pick us to go to the playoffs and some don't. I really don't care either way because in the end the only guys that decide either way is the boys donning the B&G.

I will never understand why fans get all riled up over prognostications, power rankings, etc.

I think there should be a thread dedicated to such. Only the title should read:

"Mommy?! This pundit is picking on us again!"

That's all that needs to be said.  Interestingly, ESPN: The Magazine picked the 'skins to go 10-6 again and repeat as division champs, so the media isn't all against this team, but even if every pundit in the country picked our team to go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl, it would still mean nothing.  Games are played on the field, not in magazines or a TV studio.  That's all that counts. 

I definitely disagree with Jaworski when you consider the Redskins went 10-6 with all the injuries to key  players early and often throughout the season last year.  On the other hand, the team hasn't been a consistent winner since winning the Super Bowl in 1991.  As a result, for many, the Skins have to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.

Jaworski isn't a hater; he's simply skeptical.  If I was a betting man, however, I would certainly put my money on the Skins making the playoffs...and doing a lot more than simply making the playoffs if they can remain relatively healthy.  Super Bowl, anyone? :)

The Redskins also beat the Superbowl Champion Baltimore Ravens Last year..and the Year before that the Superbowl Champion Green Bay Packers during the regular season  ...Its good to be doubted more incentive to play harder and win big HTTR :D

Thing is, had we were much closer to winning the division in 2011 than it appears.  Remember, we swept the Giants, lost two close ones to Dallass and the first Iggs game could easily have been a win.  Further, we had a couple of close losses to the Pats and the Vikings.  Last year, a couple of plays go the other way and we'd have been out of the playoffs.  The Giants went 9-7 in both 2011 and 2012 and were SB champs one year and not even in the playoffs the next.  No NFC-East team has established dominance in the NFC-East for several years.  The last time the Redskins were back-to-back division winners of the division was about 30 years ago

February 4th, 2014 when I recover from my aching throat and mild hangover I will relish the memory of this season.  When I'm watching the replay of our 58-13 crushing of the AFC Champs, a thought will occur to me.  These articles.  I will re-read them.  I may even submit one of my own critiquing theirs.  That is the only time, moving forward, I will get worked up over what is written about our Skins this season.

Sure it has chapped my butt in the past.  But when the smoke settles, the only way we'll know who is right or wrong is when the timer hits 00:00 during our last game of the year.

New York Superbowl here we come!

HTTR

The talking point by the national sports media right now is that RGIII won't be the same QB in 2013 due to the injury. It's not like reporters coast to coast are covering the training camp and preseason of every team. You have to remember a lot of these guys don't follow every team extensively.  They are local reporters for their local franchises and have nothing really in depth to say about teams outside their immediate division rivals other then what they remember from 2012.  The last thing the national sports media remembers about this team from 2012 is RGIII's injury which has already been mis-reported a ton.  They aren't followng his rehab have no idea what condition he is actually in etc etc etc

You'll notice a lot of the radio commentators from other NFC East teams, that have more vested in covering the 'Skins think the 'Skins will win the division again (except maybe the Cowboys radio guys but then again.....they always think they are going to the Superbowl). Howard Eskin was on sports radio here yesterday in Sacramento and actually was pretty down on the Eagles chances to do anything in 2012, sounded pretty reasonable. Basically said that there is no reason to think a new team in a brand new offense is going to do much more than maybe show glimpses from time to time. The local radio host, Grant Napear is a NYG/Yankees guy, he does pbp for Sacramento Kings and hosts his own show. He said "If RGIII is healthy, 'Skins win the division" 

I REALLY don't get all the hate on here/this thread for Jaworski. I was disappointed when he no longer did prime time games with Gruden. He gives great insight on QB's and it's usually really good info - the guy will no kidding go through every snap of the season or a guy's career before doing a game and talking about a QB. 

Of course he's a little biased towards the Eagles - why does that piss anyone off? Would you expect Joe Theismann to come out and say he expects the Eagles to win the opener or that the Skins won't defend their title? Of course not. 

In my opinion, Jaws is one of the best commentators or analysts out there - he does his homework and usually keeps his biases out of things unlike someone like McNabb. He also played the game unlike many "experts" out there and I actually consider him somewhat of an "expert" unlike people such as Skip, anyone from Around the Horn, or most of the random sports "analysts" on ESPN. 

He was told to pick which team he thinks has the best chance to miss out on the playoffs this year that made it last year - that's not the same as him just coming out and saying he thinks the Skins will recess. When you look at the 6 NFC playoff teams last year, if I HAD to pick a team out of the bunch that had the worst chance - I'd probably pick the Vikings followed a close one between us and the Seahawks. I don't see the Packers, 49ers, Falcons missing out and while I think our healthy offense is better than the Seahawks, I think their defense is more complete. 

And as for him saying Kaepernick COULD be "one of the best ever" - at least he waited til the kid has played and led his team to a Super Bowl before he said it. I didn't see anyone here jumping up and ranting over the fact that Shanahan said the EXACT SAME THING about RGIII last year before the kid played his first NFL game. We don't need to freak out every time anyone isn't overly positive about our team. Stay medium!

It's baffling why this is even a conversation.  Media guys like Colin and Jaws are in the business for one thing.  RATINGS!  Just like some say around here, DON'T FEED THE TROLL!  Why do think the networks talk RG3 aaaaaaaaall day, because you watch, and their ratings reflect it.  So pat yourself on the back for justifying Jaws' comments.  He got exactly what he wanted, YOU TALKING about him and their network.  I'm sure you all will be tuning in tonight at 6 for his next segment to "hate" his comments.  That'll show him.

Well, here's a must read from Deadspin for insight into the inner workings re: Jaws and ESPN.

Warning: there is a big ol NSFW word in the headline:

"...let's take you step-by-step through how ESPN contrives and then covers a storty that doesn't even exist..."

http://deadspin.com/how-espn-manufactures-a-story-colin-kaepernick-edition-1185400028

Goonie, not sure what I would need to remove here. Clue me in.

--------

v No apologies needed. I was just worried you were seeing something I wasn't. Never want to unintentionally break a rule. ;) v

Well, here's a must read for insight into the inner workings re: Jaws and ESPN. Warning: there is a big ol NSFW word in the headline:

Might want to remove that buddy.

Disregard. The article freaked out my work filters, so I was being over sensitive to the 'explicit' rule.  My apologies!!!!!  Actually a pretty good article.

First of all, its just a prediction--doesn't mean he's "hating" on the 'Skins.  Second, if you take off your Redskin hat and actually look at the reasoning, I don't think its all that nuts.  If one of our division rivals' starting QB was coming off a major injury and missed all of the pre-season heading into just his second year, I think we'd all be questioning their situation as well.  I am hoping for the best of course, but I don't think we are a lock for the playoffs by any stretch.  Not just for the RGIII questions, but for the questions that remain on defense with the safety play...not to mention the suspensions heading into the first four games.  

Why can't we just watch the season and go w/what ACTUALLY happens as opposed to analyzing what these maroons say about what our team will or will not do? I could care less where these so called "experts" say we will finish...what counts is where we actually finish..let go of what others think of the team..and enjoy the season as it unfolds...

welcome to the Extreme 'Skins FAN FORUM.  where we talk about everything related to the Redskins, positive or negative (though mostly negative as evidenced, lol) ad nauseum because we literally have/want/need nothing else to do.  & you clicked on to this forum & chimed in, sooooo...booooooo.

as far as the predictions go....here's where i think most of us are a little upset by it.  it's fine to predict that we'll be a middling to above middling team if you have facts to back it up.  but it's just plain lazy to base it off of 2 things 1) RGIII's knee & 2) BUTS TEH NUBUDDY WINS TEH DIVISIONS BACK TO BACK!!!

if that's all it took to be an "analyst" then, sign me up!!!

i want real analysis as to why you think my team will not make the playoffs please.  if your job is to be an analyst, & you answer a question with one of, or both of those half-mooned, phone-it-in responses then please stop wasting my time.  you're not on TV to give me the same response every other joe schmo NFL fan does when i ask them the same question.  you're supposed to be Ron friggin' Jaworski.....i'm supposed to hear data supporting why you think my TEAM will not be able to return to the playoffs.

what this all really points out is that NOBODY spent ANY time analysing the 2012 Redskins season other than to say "um...look...ummm...RGIII is hurt, & that defense was bad...tehy are teh looserz unless he's healthy." 

firstly...it comes as completely disingenuous when they have mountains of data & nothing but time to burn whenever the topics of Denver, SF, Bal, Sea (omgPLEASESTOPTALKINGABOUTSEATTLE), Atl, N.O. (who completely whiffed last year i might add), TB, Mia, Cle, Cincy, N.E., Indy, Pit, & Blaine m-fing Gabbert. 

secondly........you spent oodles of time waxing & waning about the demise of Pittsburgh after that MNF preseason match & hardly any time was spent on how well Washington looked or where we've shown improvement. 

thirdly....the only time the media spends talking about us is to discuss RGIII's injury, comments about his injury, how he looks upon his return from his injury, or to say they don't think we'll win the division or make the playoffs because of his injury.

finally...the main thing here is that it's one thing to give a prediction, it's entirely another to just be lazy.  most people are required to give reasons for why they think/believe something & it's necessary imho if you're a broadcaster or analyst to give a detailed account of your beliefs if i'm supposed to digest them without regurgitation. 

the frustrating thing here is that for my part, i'm looking for reasons that counter my beliefs such as the defense vastly improving with more time under Haslett & the return of Orakpo & the additions in the secondary along with Brandon Jenkins.  i've already seen some of the packages that we will implement & i see how relentless our pass rush was vs. Pitt on MNF & as a fan, i'm encouraged that these improvements will greatly improve our ability to slow down opposing teams.  then i figure that if RGIII is even remotely healthy (which he seems greatly moreso) we should score at a greater clip & be forcing teams to come from behind on a semi-regular basis, altogether eliminating the rush.  i see some problems/concerns as well.....i'm not a complete homer, but i don't see anyone presenting any REAL FOOTBALL reasons as to why they might pick Minnesota over us.

again...the arguments can be made as to why we might get the boot as opposed to the other 5 teams from last year who made the playoffs in the NFC.  i just haven't seen any legitimate football arguments made that would satisfy their dismissive mindset.

it almost seems like they're bothered to have to even discuss the Redskins unless it's about RGIII & it's my assumption that it's because none of them actually watched any film of our team last year.

so again...it's not so much that Jaws is inept as the entire analysis of our situation just seems to be "meh...they've sucked for so long, i imagine they'll suck again unless RGIII is as unreal as he was last year, & because he's recovering from ACL surgery, & he's not a prototypical pocket-passer i'm gonna go out on a limb & say he can't possibly repeat last year's success.  oh, & the read-option will get figured out."

it's like a broken cliche party.

anywho.......stop implying that people are annoyed at the predictions so much as they're annoyed at the lack of real analysis. 

that is all....

Archived