Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Secondary Overhaul

hailyeah1

i think Hall and Wilson will start But Amerson ,Crawford and Minifield will push them for playing time

Merriweather  will start if he is healthy but who starts at the other safety will Jackson be reinstated and if so will he stay out of trouble.

Merriweather and Jackson was the plan last year but that didn't work out huh!!!

will Rambo make a push for playing time, it going to be interesting!!!

I think cutting every proven capable leading vet in the secondary and starting just the rookies, would make our backfield look as awesome as last year and maybe even more so, in the vein of last year.

As long as Amerson changes his name to "Dragon" and Thomas changes his name to "Nighthawk". :)

It doesn't really matter IMO. You still have Jim Hass behind the scene calling the shots. To me we are doomed for failure. Let me start the we need a new coordinator chant before the season starts

Get in line man. Get in line.

And boy is it a LONG line .....

Hail.

Yeah ,we all had the rope ,tar feathers and the rail ready last year  for hasslett ,he did make adjustments after the bye but if he but his head up you know where again thus year  its will be time to make him walk the plank!!!

i think Hall and Wilson will start But Amerson ,Crawford and Minifield will push them for playing time

Merriweather  will start if he is healthy but who starts at the other safety will Jackson be reinstated and if so will he stay out of trouble.

Sleeping on Biggers, are we? 

He had a pretty respectable season on an absolutely horrible unit in TB last year.  Playing on a 1 year contract with a lot of motivation to score a long-term deal.  And he has history with Rah.  Anxious to see what he can bring to the table.  He should have the inside track on the CB3 spot, and his level of play could go a long way in determining what kind of pass defense we have.

It doesn't really matter IMO. You still have Jim Hass behind the scene calling the shots. To me we are doomed for failure. Let me start the we need a new coordinator chant before the season starts

Get in line man. Get in line.

And boy is it a LONG line .....

Hail.

Yeah ,we all had the rope ,tar feathers and the rail ready last year  for hasslett ,he did make adjustments after the bye but if he but his head up you know where again thus year  its will be time to make him walk the plank!!!

Agreed.

And if we replace him after this year... see that bad mother ****er in the gold shirt in my avi?  Doing the angry rabbit?

Since most passing schemes use reads based on the safety, the quality of the safeties makes a big difference in the overall performance against the pass. Without a doubt, Williams was a liability, and was the source of the broken coverage on almost every long pass that they team gave up. The D is better without him. Haslett took awhile to adjust to the idea that he needed to mask the weak safeties, but once he did, the difference was remarkable. 

Merriweather is such a huge question mark. If his knee allows, he will start, and make a big difference. However, I think the chances of his knee allowing him to perform as well as he should are pretty small.

So, we might need one, or we might need two new guys back there. Here is a very important point, there is no such thing as a rookie safety that can hold down a starting spot in the NFL. It takes a minimum of four games, usually a whole season before a player can achieve the instinctive reactions needed to play the position. Rambo and Thomas WILL give up plays, this season, and that is normal. It will not mean that they are a bust.

That said, Thomas and Rambo will both get time as part of a rotation early, and then more, and more time as the season moves along. I suspect Rambo will make the adjustment to the NFL faster than Thomas, but Thomas has the better long-term upside. I believe Doughty and probably Hall will get a fair amount of time at safety while the two new guys get up to speed.

Hall and Wilson have no significant competition at CB, they are locks. Crawford and Amerson will fight for 3rd down duty with Eggers. The 'skins have their CBs run a lot of outside leveraged zone. They are asked to break aggressive to the inside, and maintain tackling position on the outside. So, we might see situations where on 3rd and long Amerson comes in against the Z receiver, Eggers and/or Crawford take the slot(s), and Hall drops to safety. Minnifield might also get into the mix, but the chances of a young guy playing with confidence after his injury are small.

Sleeping on Biggers, are we? 

He had a pretty respectable season on an absolutely horrible unit in TB last year.  Playing on a 1 year contract with a lot of motivation to score a long-term deal.  And he has history with Rah.  Anxious to see what he can bring to the table.  He should have the inside track on the CB3 spot, and his level of play could go a long way in determining what kind of pass defense we have.

Opps!! my bad can't remember everyone we have Biggers may well to be a great pick up!!!

The overhaul in the secondary is by far the most intriguing offseason change that we've seen. It would make me nervous, but there's nowhere to go but up. Amerson has star potential, but he could also be a terrible bust depending on whether or not he returns to 2011 form. Thomas is probably the one I'm most excited to see, he's a very complete player. And obviously a healthy Meriweather would be an enormous improvement. 

Really excited to see the defense make a turnaround in 2013. On paper, I know they have the talent to make the jump from basement-dwellers to true competitors, particularly if they carry over the intensity we saw towards the end of last season. In those last few games, they were almost ceasing to be a liability.

We've brought in a lot of younger players, but I don't know that I would call anything "an overhaul" seeing as how 3-4 of last years starters(if you consider BM a starter) will be returning to start.

A rookie most likely, instead of williams will be the only difference. I hope it's Nighthawk!

So I guess Haslett is the new Danny Smith now?

Just because his defense, that was riddled with injuries, yet turned the season around and were a major reason the team won 7 games in a row, the division and made it to the playoffs, is no reason to start thinking the guy knows what he's doing.

So I guess Haslett is the new Danny Smith now?

Just because his defense, that was riddled with injuries, yet turned the season around and were a major reason the team won 7 games in a row, the division and made it to the playoffs, is no reason to start thinking the guy knows what he's doing.

Neither is a career blip season. But this isn't the thread to rehash all that.

Hail.

Add in Biggers and you have enough numbers that it isn't out of the question that Wilson or Hall get released.

Unlikely, but not out of the question.

Archived