Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive Secondary Overhaul

hailyeah1

How many years in a row are we going to nitpick the personnel?  Get a new DC already, the growing pains can't possibly be worse than what we're seeing now.  

Don't blame us for nitpicking when we watch DeAngelo Hall get resigned and our whole secondary forgets how to cover and tackle.  Meanwhile, our 2007 first round S is leading the league in tackles.

You don't think we have a case to nitpick? So we'll just blame the DC that Mike Shanahan hired and forced to run a 3-4 when the DC stated we don't have 2-4 personnel 

Mike Shanahan's defenses have been historically bad. I don't want him hiring anyone to replace Jim Haslett

Don't blame us for nitpicking when we watch DeAngelo Hall get resigned and our whole secondary forgets how to cover and tackle.  Meanwhile, our 2007 first round S is leading the league in tackles.

You don't think we have a case to nitpick? So we'll just blame the DC that Mike Shanahan hired and forced to run a 3-4 when the DC stated we don't have 2-4 personnel 

Mike Shanahan's defenses have been historically bad. I don't want him hiring anyone to replace Jim Haslett

Who else is going to hire a new DC? Bruce Allen was never intended to have that pull, and Snyder won't undermine Mike's authority.

Agree with everything except LaRon. When is the forum going to be ready to call a spade a spade with Mr.Landry?

*Every coaching staff including the current one had nothing but great things to say about LaRon.  I can link you to specific quotes if you like? (There was never any evidence that he was insubordinate or a locker room cancer, thats extremeskins hogwash)

This forum didn't care for his antics after plays and began to exaggerate certain shortcomings. For example, if LaRon missed one tackle he missed all tackles or if LaRon blew a coverage assignment he couldn't cover.

LaRon played in every game from 2007-2009. He missed 4 games in 2010 and 4 in 2011.

They made a mistake letting him walk and now we're trying to baby sit rookies

False.

He missed 15 games in '10 and '11 combined (7 in '10 and 8 in '11)

He also missed a game in '09

Laron was the child by throwing a tantrum when they signed Meriweather.  What else are you supposed to do when you can't rely on a player who just missed 15 games in 2 years?

False.

He missed 15 games in '10 and '11 combined (7 in '10 and 8 in '11)

He also missed a game in '09

Laron was the child by throwing a tantrum when they signed Meriweather.  What else are you supposed to do when you can't rely on a player who just missed 15 games in 2 years?

Resign him for a year and let him prove he's healthy  its not rocket sci BECAUSE by the looks of things he is healthy.

Resign him for a year and let him prove he's healthy its not rocket sci BECAUSE by the looks of things he is healthy.

And in sure that was an option until he decided to go with the jets because te skins signed meriweather. You don't over pay for someone that's missed a season worth of games in a matter of 2 years. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

Resign him for a year and let him prove he's healthy its not rocket sci BECAUSE by the looks of things he is healthy.

And in sure that was an option until he decided to go with the jets because te skins signed meriweather. You don't over pay for someone that's missed a season worth of games in a matter of 2 years. Damned if you do and damned if you don't

I recall Josh Wilson (towards the end of his 1st season here) saying it took him the better part of the year to feel comfortable enough to react instead of thinking. Seems like what we're seeing from the rooks (and Biggers to an extent).

I also think the terrible safety play during Wilson and Hall's tenure have affected them a good deal. Not that I'm necessarily keen to have them back, but still...

This sounds kind of outrageous, but I actually kinda like the secondary in the broadest sense (not how they're playing now obviously). Especially considering there is not a single star player back there.

Amerson, Wilson, Hall, Biggers, Crawford, Minnifield, Rambo, Meriweather (keep your head up and stay healthy darnit!), Doughty, Thomas, Pugh, Gumbs, Murphy and Jackson. Pretty good blend of youth and savvy vets. Unfortunately, just about everyone of them has a major asterisk by their name.

So, I think there's plenty of potential for improvement (which may, admittedly, never materialize), but even best case it'll still take time.

The defense has allowed 1,464 yards through its first three games, most in NFL history, according to Elias Sports.

That hurts since it was our main weakness (backfield) last year and it's getting even worst. I guess we can only improve from now on.

I could swear we said that last year...

A lot. I've literally screamed it for three years now. No matter what else we do, that and that alone can (and I think will) keep us out of any 2nd round playoff appearance until remedied (IMO). Top tier teams mean top QBs and they can beat us that way alone (pitch and catch), even when we go heavy pass rush, unless maybe we can start averaging 34+ pts per game.

On the other hand, when you see issues all over the place, you address anything you can as you can. And I am no insider to have any really informed idea of what MS is seeing, or how MS is prioritizing what he sees. And I sure find little enlightenment from what he says to media.

Sigh.

I think we won't see the safety duo back in 2014, the one that played against Detroit. 

Merriweather is just going to get fined so much for his hits that his veteran minimum won't be enough to cover does. He will be the first player in the NFL who pays to play the game :P

Josh Wilson...he ain't a safety.

I think we are taking the wait and see approach for Baccari. See if he becomes better tackler.

And hope that Phillips Thomas comes back healty.

Bring in a solid vet to push both second year players then. 

I think we won't see the safety duo back in 2014, the one that played against Detroit. 

Merriweather is just going to get fined so much for his hits that his veteran minimum won't be enough to cover does. He will be the first player in the NFL who pays to play the game :P

Josh Wilson...he ain't a safety.

I think we are taking the wait and see approach for Baccari. See if he becomes better tackler.

And hope that Phillips Thomas comes back healty.

Bring in a solid vet to push both second year players then. 

I was just reading that they were only using 1 safety deep (Meriweather) in the game with Wilson, Hall, Amerson in man-to-man mostly.  Kind of surprised that Rambo didn't get any snaps - I didn't even notice that during the game.  Would have preferred Rambo out in coverage vs. seeing Rak or Kerrigan dropping back.  That pisses me off to no end when I see them backpedaling.  They should be going non-stop rushing with an occasional flat coverage.

Eventually, you have to accept a porous secondary.  And adjust on offense.

It's one reason I want the hurry up practiced much more. We can't score quickly like seemingly most all the super bowl winners from the past 10 years seem to be able to do.

Kyle showed last week he can go pass happy.

Who are our true studs on offense anyways?  To me, its Trent, RG3, and Garcon.

Morris is a stud but its the same song and dance. Mike always finds a back.

Let's throw Morris in, to keep the peace in redskins nations.  But why is Morris your guy that you pin the entire offense on?  Is he THAT much better than the other 3 that every single game is entirely on his shoulders?

I am glad Kyle diversified and passed first last game. If we can ever get a lead, Morris will still get his same carries. Don't you worry.

You can pass to run, or run to pass. The history of the game has shown it need not always be just one or the other.

I want Kyle to be able to go it both ways. It's too one dimensional to only run first. For it can "cover" for lame duck secondary.  He is still finding that balance. It will take time.

I posed this question to KD in another thread but I'm really curious as to what we could do from a schematic point of view to overcome our weaknesses in the secondary. I feel as if we have good defensive front but opposing teams are scheming them out of the game.

I feel the same way (and have the same question). I've got nothing but love for London, but I have to wonder if Robinson would be better suited to stopping these quick passing attacks. Similar thought on R. Jackson, though I think Orakpo is doing a good job getting after the QB.

Archived