Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking Bad - The End is Near - Official Thread

Dan T.

Maybe it's just me, but Todd doesn't come off creepy, more like a de-sensitized youth. I don't think anyone in the series is scarier than that guy who beat his own henchman to death with his bare hands. Can't remember his name, but that guy was in the HOF of crazy.

Tuco?

I don't see the scenario where Walt has a beef with Lydia and Todd's neo-Nazi pals.  How would that arise? 

What if the quality continues to drop so they kidnap Jesse to keep cooking?

Clearly Walter leaves town for a while and it looks like he comes back for some reason. Maybe to save someone?

I hope that Jesse finds out that Walt let Jane die and poisoned Brock. I assume Jessie would then do whatever it takes to kill Walt, but I trust this show's staff to do a good job with handling whatever would come after that.

Here's an "out there" theory I came up with. They never show who shot Tomas (the kid that killed Combo). Jesse gets Gus to tell the two gang bangers to stop using kids to deal. Then the kid turns up dead. That turns Jesse against Gus completely (for a while). What if it turns out Walt was the one that offed him, knowing Jesse would assume Gus did it. I don't think that will be the case, but, what a twist.

Also, as much as I enjoyed the train robbery episode (up until Todd goes all pure evil), when they said the methylamine is made in China, it got me wondering why it can only be made there. A quick Google search and... 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/08/23/methylamine_how_to_make_the_substance_so_elusive_on_breaking_bad_.html

To get methylamine in the first season Walt and Jesse steal a barrel of the substance from a warehouse; this season they steal a thousand gallons from a train, killing a child in the process. As a post on Reddit asks, since Walt is a brilliant chemist, couldn’t he just synthesize the stuff himself?

Yes, and pretty easily. There are many different ways to make the compound; with little more than an introductory organic chemistry class, you could probably synthesize it in your kitchen sink. (Brow Beat doesn’t recommend trying to make methylamine in your kitchen sink). Chemically speaking, methylamine is just ammonia with one hydrogen atom swapped out for a methyl group—a carbon atom and three hydrogen atoms. Without getting into too much detail, an easy way to achieve this swap is to “bubble” ammonia (a gas) through methanol (a liquid) that’s been laced with a dehydrating agent like Silica gel. You could probably buy these chemicals at Home Depot and CVS. Silica gel packets are often packaged with new shoes and electronics to keep them dry.

In the comments there is some push back about how difficult it actually is, but considering they supposedly can turn 1000 gallons of it into several hundred million dollars, you'd think making it themselves would have come up at some point.

Also, they went to the "coincidence" well a couple times to many, in my opinion. Captain Cook turning out to be Walt's former student, Walt running into Jane's dad before watching her die, Jesse meeting the girl whose little brother killed Combo.

I found out about and watched the entire series within the last month, and it's very compelling. It's far and away the best tv show I've ever seen.

What we see as coincidence is what all Greek tragedies are built on.  And that's basically what Breaking Bad is... a modern Greek tragedy, where you know from the very beginning what will become of the main character, no matter how many obstacles or subplots are presented, it all must end as it began... how he/she gets there is all the true entertainment for the audience.

Anna Gunn on playing Skyler White:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1&

August 23, 2013

I Have a Character Issue By ANNA GUNN

LOS ANGELES — PLAYING Skyler White on the television show “Breaking Bad” for the past five seasons has been one of the most rewarding creative journeys I’ve embarked on as an actor. But the role has also taken me on another kind of journey — one I never would have imagined.

My character, to judge from the popularity of Web sites and Facebook pages devoted to hating her, has become a flash point for many people’s feelings about strong, nonsubmissive, ill-treated women. As the hatred of Skyler blurred into loathing for me as a person, I saw glimpses of an anger that, at first, simply bewildered me.

For those unfamiliar with the show: Skyler is the wife of Walter White, a high-school chemistry teacher who, after learning he has lung cancer, begins cooking and selling methamphetamine to leave a nest egg for Skyler, their teenage son and their unborn daughter. After his prognosis improves, however, Walter continues in the drug trade — with considerable success — descending deeper and deeper into a life of crime.

When Skyler discovers what Walter has been up to, she tries to stop him, to no avail. She is outraged by the violence and destruction of the drug world, fearful for her children’s safety, disgusted by the money Walter brings in and undone by the lies and manipulation to which he subjects her.

Because Walter is the show’s protagonist, there is a natural tendency to empathize with and root for him, despite his moral failings. (That viewers can identify with this antihero is also a testament to how deftly his character is written and acted.) As the one character who consistently opposes Walter and calls him on his lies, Skyler is, in a sense, his antagonist. So from the beginning, I was aware that she might not be the show’s most popular character.

But I was unprepared for the vitriolic response she inspired. Thousands of people have “liked” the Facebook page “I Hate Skyler White.” Tens of thousands have “liked” a similar Facebook page with a name that cannot be printed here. When people started telling me about the “hate boards” for Skyler on the Web site for AMC, the network that broadcasts the show, I knew it was probably best not to look, but I wanted to understand what was happening.

A typical online post complained that Skyler was a “shrieking, hypocritical harpy” and didn’t “deserve the great life she has.”

“I have never hated a TV-show character as much as I hate her,” one poster wrote. The consensus among the haters was clear: Skyler was a ball-and-chain, a drag, a shrew, an “annoying **** wife.”

~more at the link

Whatever.  I was listening to a podcast earlier this week and someone summed it up nicely:  The women in the show try to hinder any action that takes place.  They (mostly) get in the way.

Yeah, I hate Skyler, but not because of Anna Gunn...just because how she's been written.  Anna Gunn has done a good job of acting in order to be able to stir up such feelings from a fanbase, both positive and negative.  If she hadn't done a good job, no one would be talking about her.  

Could it be that they can’t stand a woman who won’t suffer silently or “stand by her man”? That they despise her because she won’t back down or give up? Or because she is, in fact, Walter’s equal?

Stand by her man?  Sorry, isn't that exactly what she did in the last episode when she didn't say anything to Hank and sat there in silence while Marie hurled accusations at her?  Or when she laundered the money?  

How is she Walter's equal in any way, other than being a parent?

As I've said before, my issue resides with the fact that she's constantly hot and cold.  She's at first shocked and horrified when she learns what Walt has done and then steps right up next to him to figure out a lie in order to explain to Hank and Marie how they've come into such mass sums of money.  Remember how she sat him down in the family room and dragged him through an almost painful rehearsal of his "gambling addiction?"  Then all of a sudden she realizes that he's in a dangerous business and "Oh my God, the kids!  The kids!  My FAMILY!"  He kills Gus Fring, never brings any harm into her household and then all of a sudden she's back to stashing money in a storage unit and helping run a carwash and being a loving, doting wife when a few episodes earlier she was wishing his cancer to come back.

That's my issue with her character.  

It's sad to think that some of the hatred of Skylar's character is reflective of a societal sickness.  But it most certainly is among the neanderthals who transfer their rage from the character to the actress.  

On the other hand, some of it is merely irrational.  See above.  

;)

It's sad to think that some of the hatred of Skylar's character is reflective of a societal sickness.  But it most certainly is among the neanderthals who transfer their rage from the character to the actress.  

On the other hand, some of it is merely irrational.  See above.  

;)

Ah, right, my dislike of Skyler is completely irrational.  

I don't hate Skyler, but I think it's understandable why people don't like her. I think she went a little over the deep end over Ted and I think she overreacted about the safety of the family. She represents conflict.

It's kind of hard to write a character like that and make her sympathetic and likable. If she doesn't oppose Walt at all then her character comes into question. She opposes him and she opposes the audience along with Walt, because even though he's a terrible person that does terrible things, he's still our protagonist. It's up to the viewer to decide when to stop rooting for him. Personally, I'm still with him. I know a lot of people have gone the other way. 

I really don't know how you make her a likable character when she has to straddle the line of being a supportive wife with being a moral person. 

I was hoping for something like that. Finally broke Jesse out of his catatonia and made him a player for the end game. Saul went to the Huell well one time too many.

One thing with the confession, if Hank was running the meth ring himself he wouldn't have needed Walt to pay his medical bills. Hank could (and should) show that he has none of the affluence someone involved in meth would have, whereas Walt has the car wash, the car, etc. that show his ill gotten gains.

Can someone please explain Jesse s revelation? I'm not sure i follow. I get that he knows Walt poisoned Brock, but how exactly?

I'm not sure either. He knows the kid was poisoned by the berries, and the ricin cigarette was missing, but wouldn't knowing the kid was poisoned by berries make him disregard the fact the ricin cigarette was missing? 

Can someone please explain Jesse s revelation? I'm not sure i follow. I get that he knows Walt poisoned Brock, but how exactly?

Jesse had the weed in his pocket right before he left the office. When he was waiting to be picked up it was gone. He realized Huell had picked his pocket, and it crashed down on him that it had happened before, when the ricin cigarette went missing. It's a bit of a jump for him to go from that to "therefore Walt poisoned Brock", but I'm buying it.

Edit: He had suspicions, but when he confronted Saul, he got confirmation.

Hulie lifted Jessie's pot as he squeezed by him getting out of Saul's office. Jesse realized that waiting for the fix it man, and as he grabbed his cigarettes, in a moment of clarity, he realized the same thing happened to him when he "lost" the ricin out of his cigarette pack those months before.

Jesse will be backtracking all the **** that went down with Walt now... Now that he's totally tuned in to what a manipulative narcissist Walt is.

One of the best episodes in the history of the series?  Amazing.  The video with Walt's confession was chilling.

Any possible thing that Hank could have done to save himself is out the window now that he knows Walt paid his medical bills.

I was hoping for something like that. Finally broke Jesse out of his catatonia and made him a player for the end game. Saul went to the Huell well one time too many.

One thing with the confession, if Hank was running the meth ring himself he wouldn't have needed Walt to pay his medical bills. Hank could (and should) show that he has none of the affluence someone involved in meth would have, whereas Walt has the car wash, the car, etc. that show his ill gotten gains.

I think the overriding theme in that video is that Hank "bullied" Walt into doing all this stuff he didn't really want to do.  Therefore, he could have made him pay his medical bills.  A bit of a stretch but semi believable.  

I think if Walt wanted to he could make a case that Hank was helping him out the whole time, from the very beginning.

The first episode (I believe it was the first) Hank took Walt to a meth lab. Walt could say this is where they got the idea and Hank was showing him how the operation worked.

They could make it seem like Hank got shot because of issues that developed from the inside of the operation.

The drug money used for Hanks medical bills (which could end up being huge). I thought Walt was going to bring this up in the garage.

Walt/Hank were together a lot during their "investigation" of Fring.

:)

I didn't think it would come out like that though. WOW!

Jesse is a little pissed

That might be the best episode of any TV series I've ever watched.

Walt meeting with Hank.

Walt's confession video.

Walt meeting with Jesse.

Jessie's realization.

Jessie confronting Saul.

That who episode was beautifully scripted, shot and conveyed to the viewers. I can feel the culmination of 5 seasons of TV.

Simply incredible.

Archived