Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Wal-Mart says it will pull out of D.C. plans should city mandate ‘living wage’

mistertim

I'm with the "mixed feelings" crowd, here.

I think raising the minimum wage is probably a good idea. A net benefit for society as a whole.

Really got a problem with passing legislation for only one company, though. I think they've got a right to complain.

Unless I'm reading the info on the revised legislation wrong, it's not just one company. It's a few of the high revenue ones and/or any "big box" store that exceeds 75,000 square feet.

Wal-mart happens to be one of those, but so might Apple and Nike..and perhaps a few more in the DC area.

I really don't think the Apple store in DC is 75,000 square foot, and if it is, it would be relatively easy for them to move to a smaller space.  The Apple stores in like Tyson's or Clarendon do just fine and they are tiny.  Apple and Nike could be franchised I'm sure to avoid the bill based on gross company revenue. 

There are 2 Best Buys that might be that big.  

This "threat" from WalMart is hilarious. It's sort of like a bully threatening to NOT beat you up if you don't give him your lunch.

They pushed their way into our neighborhood despite overwhelming and vociferous opposition at our council meeting. I agree with Bang that they're a parasite and I go out of my way to avoid spending a dime there.

Well, all that store (for Apple) really is is a showcase for them.  And the only Apple Store in DC is the one in G'town, so if Apple REALLY felt the need, they could franchise out that one store to abide by the letter of the law.  

I suspect they'd just say **** it, not worth the hassle.  So D.C. has no Apple store, because Walmart pays minimum wage.  

If the people don't want it, and the DCC don't want it.  And Wal Mart says they wont come if this rule/law takes affect.....

Doesn't it seem like everyone should now be happy?

Obviously Wal Mart wants to be there on there own terms, but they've folded up in other places before.

I would think that people would support the concept that if a worker makes a higher minimum wage, they would pay more in taxes AND not have to depend upon food stamps and other safety net government programs to support themselves.

The only ding to the corporations is that their profit would go down, because they can write off the higher wages as a cost of doing business, it's a legal deduction.  But these large corps put profit before people and don't pay people a living wage and these workers have to avail themselves of food stamp and other government programs to survive.

I really don't see the big deal. There are several vacation and tourist towns who do not allow any national chains to open in their community.

DC in many respects qualifies as a tourist destination. Might be nice to poke around DC without seeing a bunch of warehouses selling cheap crap made in China.

On another note, some of you anti anything corporate types are ****ing idiots.

Back in the early 70's you could support a family just being a full time employee at any super market[excluding super giants] that had the aflcio local 400. There were lines just to apply for a cashiers job at giant. You got great pay and full health care for 5 a month I believe. i worked there and had a new Nova SS apt full or furniture. I think cashiers start today at what cashiers made in 1971

I worked at giant and the grocery employees had a living wage .The people who worked in the Super giants and were in the clothing side made min wage. Back then we were closed on Sundays and on Saturdays we had all 12 registers going all day long and lines at everyone  . Back then cashiers had to ring everything thing by hand. When we ordered we did it by hand. . They had a night stocking crew  who made a night differential wage as were the frozen food people

The good wages ended when the discount supermarkets hit DC and had non union employees

I will pay more for anything that is made in the US and don't mind paying a few cents more so employees can get a better wage. It would only take cents on items sold to raise wagers

Bring back the factories. Baltimore used to be a manufacturing powerhouse ,now it is a rust belt.Baltimore was a major steel and Car manufacturer.  Sparrows point built 385 liberty ships in 4 years now they don't build ships as other gvt subsidized steel and ship building.  all dead and gone. I bet it is most cost effective subsidizing them than paying out welfare.People would rather work for a living wage that collect welfare foodstamps. Not many want to work if you make less working that you do off collecting welfare and foodstamps

True enough.. Wal Mart is the devil, for sure, but at the same time, they are the devil that is in control, and we're forced to play cards by their rules.

Where I am i have options, and we try to use them, but you can't get away from wal Mart completely if you want to survive in the middle class these days.

~Bang

Too big to fail?

Like most people, we shop some at Wal-Mart to save money, though we have an even cheaper food option in Aldi's.  I wouldn't set foot in the place if I didn't have to.  Some of the people I see there terrify me, the people-of-walmart website come to life.  If we ever get to the point where we can shop at Wegman's full time (no more daycare expenses) I'm never looking back.

Like most people, we shop some at Wal-Mart to save money, though we have an even cheaper food option in Aldi's.  I wouldn't set foot in the place if I didn't have to.  Some of the people I see there terrify me, the people-of-walmart website come to life.  If we ever get to the point where we can shop at Wegman's full time (no more daycare expenses) I'm never looking back.

So disappointed. I clicked expecting to see a full out Pho rant on Wal-Mart.

If the people don't want it, and the DCC don't want it.  And Wal Mart says they wont come if this rule/law takes affect.....

Doesn't it seem like everyone should now be happy?

Obviously Wal Mart wants to be there on there own terms, but they've folded up in other places before.

Something I read talked about a few dozen pro-Wal-Mart folks outside this vote, while many times more anti folks in front of them. I think for the most part, a lot of people don't want them in D.C.. Not because they treat their employees like crap, or go out of their way to get around the system. But because there is a stigma that comes with the Wal-Mart name. "Cheap". That's a lot different than "affordable" or "good value" even if those are also true. Cheap as in crappy. For all the talk of D.C. being snobbish or whatever, this is an example kind of backing that up. I don't blame them though.

There is a Wal-Mart in upper Moco not far from my house and a Target about 200 yards away from it. This is where I sound like an asshole. But if you're driving between their two parking lots, the Wal-Mart one is where you see a car on the permanent spare tire or the shoppers all driving rascals to the McDonalds inside. The target is where you see the hybrid and trash cans not overflowing.....and the Starbucks inside.

When can I get a Sheetz near my house? Its family owned and up in PA they are great. Can't get one in MoCo at all? What the hell?

But these large corps put profit before people.

It's not just large corporations - we've all done the same.  Wal-mart wouldn't be so big if the general public didn't essentially abandon the mom-and-pop stores many years ago and flock to the big-box retailers.  All sorts of people claim to never set foot in a Wal-mart, but I have, and those stores are never empty.  In fact, they are usually quite crowded, which is why I don't prefer them. 

There is a Wal-Mart in upper Moco not far from my house and a Target about 200 yards away from it. This is where I sound like an asshole. But if you're driving between their two parking lots, the Wal-Mart one is where you see a car on the permanent spare tire or the shoppers all driving rascals to the McDonalds inside.

Or, as former Washington Post columnist Marc Fisher so hilariously put it a few years ago, the kind of people who whack their kids in public!  :lol:

I LOVE Wegmans.  They are thinking about putting a store in the District, but that likely won't happen now.  They were actually rated the best employer in America a few years back and are always in the top 10, but they don't pay their employees $12.50 an hour to stock shelves or ring a cash register either.  

Wal-Mart has virtually taken over some areas as far as the place you have to go for general department store goods.

We shop there relunctantly for stuff time to time.  Mostly household products, cleaning, hygiene, maintenance.

Where I Iive there is a Wal-Mart & Target across the street from each and one suburb over, (10 min drive) there is a Super-Wal Mart that includes a full grocery store.

Uh-oh....it sounds like it's contagious:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fast-food-workers-at-2-smithsonian-museums-to-strike-again-calling-for-living-wage/2013/07/11/790c6ece-ea19-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html

"Workers from two Smithsonian Institution museum eateries are staging a one-day strike calling for the federally funded museums to ensure they are paid a “living wage.”"

Wal-Mart is the worst. 

These 400 lb gorilla tactics are just part of their company culture.  A client of mine has a contract with Wal-Mart.  The contract says something (important) in it about my client that is blatantly false.  We have told them about it.  They know it's false.  They agree that the way we want to change it would make it true, and would not reduce their rights or hurt them one iota.  But they won't let us change it.  Why?  Because **** you they're Wal-Mart.  That's why. 

Archived