Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Pretty sure you were that person on here several times in the past. It's basically what what led me to proclaiming you Son of Jordan

Yes, I was prone to making hot takes on LeBron but after the 2011 Finals, I wasn't the only one. But there's nothing you can say now that doesn't sound dumb trying to knock what he's done. Even during my LeBron-hater days I always acknowledged that he was a top 10 player in the history of the game (now top 3-5).

And to be fair, I think the MJ truthers have got you to the point where anytime you see his name on this forum, it sets you off.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

NBA ratings for almost every regional broadcast (including the Cavs and Warriors) plummeted this season.  The only games that held steady in ratings were national broadcasts.  That tells me that regular viewership is down and the NBA is trying to prop its ratings up with unsteady casual viewership.  They're just bailing water by creating more national TV games.  A big problem for the NBA is that there is a (justified) perception that there games outside the Finals don't matter.

College football has parity.  It's seen 13 different champions in the last 20 years.  Wire to wire number ones are rare.  It's a much more dynamic competition than the NBA.  And it's also got powerful regional fan bases all over the country because of die hard local and alumni support.  It's popularity is not built around casual viewership like the NBA's.  Building die hard regional support for each franchise is what the NBA should be trying to copy from the football leagues.  You can't tell me that's impossible for a basketball league because CBB has it.

As far as the feasibility of parity goes, LeBron James wasn't winning championships before he formed super teams.  If you put him on one or two star teams and have him go against other one or two star teams, he can be and has been beaten.

We'll see how much the DPE does to enact parity in the league, but it will take a while for its effect to kick in.  My guess is that it's a half measure because it won't impact enough players.  The only way you'll truly force parity is with a hard cap IMO.  And the only way you might get the players to agree to that is by doing away with max contracts.  If you can make it impossible for teams to get and keep a third All Star and/or a second top ten caliber player, then you'll diffuse the talent enough to field a bunch of contenders.

If I told you we have had 6 different NBA champions the last 7 years, you would tell me thats not parity.

College Football is not a sport about parity. People love football at a high level. Parity is irrelevant.

Football and Hockey market the team.

Baseball and Basketball market the player.

The difference is in baseball the team can control the players movement for years and the fans get used to their guys.

In basketball right now (and a lot of this is due to the 1 and done rule) it takes a player 3-5 years to really be ready to play. By that time they can move on from their original team. The local fans don't fall in love with the player and there is a disconnect from the team.

55 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Football and Hockey market the team.

Baseball and Basketball market the player.

The difference is in baseball the team can control the players movement for years and the fans get used to their guys.

In basketball right now (and a lot of this is due to the 1 and done rule) it takes a player 3-5 years to really be ready to play. By that time they can move on from their original team. The local fans don't fall in love with the player and there is a disconnect from the team.

The NBA system is very similar to the MLB system.

John Wall will be a Wizard player for 8 years before he could become an unrestricted free agent. (Could have after 5 seasons but he re-upped)

NBA does market players over teams but it's worked.

And MLB does not market its players. MLB player endorsements are paltry compared to NFL and definitely NBA players.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

If I told you we have had 6 different NBA champions the last 7 years, you would tell me thats not parity.

College Football is not a sport about parity. People love football at a high level. Parity is irrelevant.

Stats are fun......there have been only 11 different champions in the last 37 seasons.  And in the last 6 seasons, there have only been 6 different teams in the finals (East and West combined).  Same teams keep making it in clusters over certain time frames.  Last 6 years, it's been Miami and Cleveland in the east and the only parity (and minimal at that) was OKC and DAL in the west.

Then look at it from 1999 to 2010 (12 years) - only three teams from the west were in the finals (Lakers 7x, Spurs 4x, Mavs 1x), granted there was more parity in the east over that 12 year span (9 different teams) but the east was weaker (with exception of the Pistons/Heat/C's teams that won it all) and dominated by the west over that time-frame winning 9 of 12.  

Going into those playoffs, people thought the same thing they do now, I wonder who the Lakers/Spurs will dominate in the finals.  The only finals that didn't include those two teams was in 2006 when it was the Mavs/Heat.  

I don't consider that to be much parity at all.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Stats are fun......there have been only 11 different champions in the last 37 seasons.  And in the last 6 seasons, there have only been 6 different teams in the finals (East and West combined).  Same teams keep making it in clusters over certain time frames.  Last 6 years, it's been Miami and Cleveland in the east and the only parity (and minimal at that) was OKC and DAL in the west.

Then look at it from 1999 to 2010 (12 years) - only three teams from the west were in the finals (Lakers 7x, Spurs 4x, Mavs 1x), granted there was more parity in the east over that 12 year span (9 different teams) but the east was weaker (with exception of the Pistons/Heat/C's teams that won it all) and dominated by the west over that time-frame winning 9 of 12.  

Going into those playoffs, people thought the same thing they do now, I wonder who the Lakers/Spurs will dominate in the finals.  The only finals that didn't include those two teams was in 2006 when it was the Mavs/Heat.  

I don't consider that to be much parity at all.

I'm well aware

That was my point in Steve attempting to assert that College Football has parity. 

College football has a 128 team field.  There are going to be a lot of have nots.  But there aren't just two or three haves.  There are about 20 marquee programs that can compete at the highest level when they are going through a good coaching/recruitment cycle and probably 20 more second tier teams that have reached that level in the last 20 or 30 years.  Upsets are frequent and highly impactful.  There is a great deal of parity among the top 25 teams every season.  The elite, pro-bound talent is scattered throughout the power conferences.  Turnover of conference champions is regular.

There is a ton more parity in CFB than in the NBA.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There will never be true parity in the NBA. The nature of the sport of basketball won't allow it.

College Basketball has a pretty high level of parity.  12 different champions in the last 20 years.  23 different teams in the Final.  39 different teams in the Final Four.  

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

College Basketball has a pretty high level of parity.  12 different champions in the last 20 years.  23 different teams in the Final.  39 different teams in the Final Four.  

College is different because players are constantly being shuffled in and out.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

College is different because players are constantly being shuffled in and out.

I think that gives you part of the path to parity for the NBA then.  Part of the component of a super team is a core group that's able to stay together forever.  If your cap can force teams to turn over their rosters and let go of high quality third, fourth, fifth, etc. pieces and replace them with new ones, then you can probably force parity.  Think of the Cavs not being able to spend way over the cap and keep Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson.  That team becomes beatable.  Think if the Warriors had to let one of Curry/Draymond/Klay walk along with Barnes and Bogut, (and they weren't able to sign Durant).  They become beatable too.

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Looks like Paul Millsap will opt out in Atlanta, according to ESPN. This summer could be really interesting.

I liked him here in the past, just not sure how I feel about benching Morris to bring him in now.  I can see him in Boston with Horford in their arms race with Cleveland.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

College football has a 128 team field.  There are going to be a lot of have nots.  But there aren't just two or three haves.  There are about 20 marquee programs that can compete at the highest level when they are going through a good coaching/recruitment cycle and probably 20 more second tier teams that have reached that level in the last 20 or 30 years.

thats not parity.

16% of the college teams has a realistic chance at winning the national title.

You cant have parity in college basketball and the sport actively fights against parity.

No one cares because Americans love football.

If the NFL had super teams, people would still watch the NFL.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Worst WCF in decades.  Outside of an entertaining but ultimately meaningless Wizards--Celtics conference semifinal, this has been an absolutely garbage postseason.  I don't see how anyone can enjoy and defend this.

Id rather watch Wiz vs Rockets in bowling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I very much enjoyed watching my team destroy 3 teams. 

The Warriors made the finals in the mighty west and the best team they played is Utah.  Portland is garbage and the Spurs were crippled.  I wouldn't have thought it possible but the Cavs have had a tougher road through the east. 

Finals can't start soon enough, I'm hoping they go at least 6 games.