Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Also, now the Celtics get to lose at home. I personally like this better. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Michael Jordan....

Space Jam mike

In that dudes dreams lolol

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

Just now, Llevron said:

Also, now the Celtics get to lose at home. I personally like this better. 

Space Jam mike

In that dudes dreams lolol

Oh nah, I just figured I'd randomly mention Michael Jordan. We went several posts without doing it. Got worried.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DM72 said:

Nothing was rigged.

You don't think the NBA wanted undefeated vs undefeated? 

I was joking...

Cavs just messed up. They weren't aggressive at all. I think even Lebron believed the hype that they can just show up and win. And for half the game, he was right.

But there's another half and the Celtics showed up. Gotta give them props for that. 

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wish the league could get back to the level of parity of the 70's.

i know you would

But if parity was really wanted in our country with regards to the NBA, people would have tuned in for that.

The reality is most NBA fans do not really want that. We want mega teams and mega starts. Its why we lionize the periods of the most dominance in the NBA.

And the truth is, you cannot have parity in the NBA unless cataclysmic things are taking place. (like the Lakers being a complete mess around Kareem in the 70s and wasting his career)

I don't think people like parity that much. Even in the NFL, the game play has declined and its noticeable.

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Glad to see Pippen getting work. His hot wife is leaving him and hanging out with kardashians and his financial troubles has been well documented. But he's got these playoff commercials going for him 

he and his wife are back together, iirc.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

i know you would

But if parity was really wanted in our country with regards to the NBA, people would have tuned in for that.

The reality is most NBA fans do not really want that. We want mega teams and mega starts. Its why we lionize the periods of the most dominance in the NBA.

And the truth is, you cannot have parity in the NBA unless cataclysmic things are taking place. (like the Lakers being a complete mess around Kareem in the 70s and wasting his career)

I don't think people like parity that much. Even in the NFL, the game play has declined and its noticeable.

I want a hard salary cap and rid of max contracts.  I want competitive teams from at least 1-5 or 1-6 in each conference playoffs.  I want rid of the ridiculous draft lottery too, **** is rigged and bogus (at least I think it's conveniently rigged when needed, maybe not every year).  

I know there is the argument that teams would tank for last place and the #1 or #2 pick but some have already been tanking for better chances at winning the lottery.  Heck, Cuban even said that he tanked the end of this season, not the players, but him assembling the roster in a way that they would most likely lose.  

If anything, they could establish some system/guidelines that would help ensure teams don't intentionally tank and are still trying their best to win games for the fans.  If found guilty of tanking, penalize them in the draft by moving them to pick #30 and let the other 29 teams move down one spot.  If multiple teams are found to be tanking, go by W/L record and the worst goes to 30, next to 29, etc. moving all the other teams that competed up one notch.  

This would of course exclude any trades the team made for future picks.  So if the 76ers owned another teams 1st round pick in the upcoming draft via trade and it turned out to be say the #10 pick overall.  Then they tank and get #1 and #10, are found guilty of tanking, they lose the #1 pick, get bumped to #30, but still keep the #10 pick, which would now be #9 overall (in this scenario).  

While I do enjoy watching mega/super teams play during the regular season.  It can get boring in the playoffs as we have seen this year.  Outside of the Cavs playing some bad ball and slipping in the regular season, I still had no doubt in my mind that they would be in the ECF and most likely the finals again.  Warriors, no brainer to make the finals at all. 

Parity is a lot better for the league and could generate a lot more revenue if 10-12 teams had a legit shot to contend and make the conference finals or finals each year.  Fans of teams that have lost interest would start getting involved again, start watching games, buying gear, going to games, etc.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I want a hard salary cap and rid of max contracts.  I want competitive teams from at least 1-5 or 1-6 in each conference playoffs.  I want rid of the ridiculous draft lottery too, **** is rigged and bogus (at least I think it's conveniently rigged when needed, maybe not every year).  

I know there is the argument that teams would tank for last place and the #1 or #2 pick but some have already been tanking for better chances at winning the lottery.  Heck, Cuban even said that he tanked the end of this season, not the players, but him assembling the roster in a way that they would most likely lose.  

If anything, they could establish some system/guidelines that would help ensure teams don't intentionally tank and are still trying their best to win games for the fans.  If found guilty of tanking, penalize them in the draft by moving them to pick #30 and let the other 29 teams move down one spot.  If multiple teams are found to be tanking, go by W/L record and the worst goes to 30, next to 29, etc. moving all the other teams that competed up one notch.  

This would of course exclude any trades the team made for future picks.  So if the 76ers owned another teams 1st round pick in the upcoming draft via trade and it turned out to be say the #10 pick overall.  Then they tank and get #1 and #10, are found guilty of tanking, they lose the #1 pick, get bumped to #30, but still keep the #10 pick, which would now be #9 overall (in this scenario).  

While I do enjoy watching mega/super teams play during the regular season.  It can get boring in the playoffs as we have seen this year.  Outside of the Cavs playing some bad ball and slipping in the regular season, I still had no doubt in my mind that they would be in the ECF and most likely the finals again.  Warriors, no brainer to make the finals at all. 

Parity is a lot better for the league and could generate a lot more revenue if 10-12 teams had a legit shot to contend and make the conference finals or finals each year.  Fans of teams that have lost interest would start getting involved again, start watching games, buying gear, going to games, etc.  

Here is the thing

The Warriors built their team how? They never got the #1 pick, and their core 3 were all draft picks who were not highly regarded.

How did the Spurs build their team?

Even Cleveland got rid of assets for Kevin Love.

You cannot have true parity in a sport where one player can make a huge difference.

Even then, go back and look at the finals participants since 1999. Its actually many different teams that have played.

The sport is amazing now. We just have two super teams that came up.

6 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Tell me you don't believe that.

He has taken scrub players to levels they never would have been to. 

Win or lose, he has been there. It is amazing to witness. 

Heck, his witness shirts are validated now. 

LeBron is the GOAT. 

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wish the league could get back to the level of parity of the 70's.  The NBA needs to stop ****ting on its diehard fans and catering to casuals who only watch a handful of games a year with the dynasty model.  The NFL doesn't do it and it is the king of all pro sports leagues.  The NFL has the least accessible game of any of the major revenue sports and its fanbase and talent pool has almost no presence outside the country.  And it went whole hog on the parity model.  And it managed to establish huge fanbases of die-hards who watch multiple games every weekend.  Die-hards who are willing to spend a dozen hours on a random weekend in late April watching its draft.  And they managed to do so without having a team in the second largest and richest media market in the country for 20 years.  It's because every region with a team has hope every year.  What's the point in watching the NBA for anyone but Cleveland or Golden State fans?

Eh, the Wizards still wouldn't win anything.

• Like 1

The NBA is what it always has been: dominated by a few teams. If you're a fan of one of the teams that's pretty good but not quite elite, you just have to be happy with making the 2nd/3rd round every year and hope and pray you can have that every once in a while fluky title that occurs(2004 Pistons, 2011 Mavs).

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Eh, the Wizards still wouldn't win anything.

A hard cap and doing away with max contracts would hurt the Wizards.  The team would maybe be able to keep both Wall and Beal long term, but we'd lose guys three through 5 and wouldn't have the draft picks to replace them.  John Wall also has the appeal to lure a max FA like Paul George/DeMarcus Cousins in 2018.  A hard cap and loss of the max contract that prevents a team from hording multiple top ten players would prevent the Wizards from doing that.  Also that would put the onus on a team having a brilliant team building GM, which the Wizards lack...

This isn't coming from a place of wishing what's best for the Wizards.  It's the opposite.  It's being willing to tolerate changes that would **** the Wizards over because it would mean a much better NBA.

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The NBA has never really tried the parity model.  And parity wasn't the reason the NBA wasn't popular in the 70's.  It wasn't that popular in the 60's either.  It hadn't grown yet.  The TV broadcasting model hadn't been developed yet.  The merger took a while to implement.  But the foundation for the explosion in popularity the NBA experienced was established in the 70's.  The league expanded beyond just Boston as the Knicks, Warriors, Bullets, Sonics, Blazers, Spurs, 76ers, and Pacers all became strong franchises.  The rules and style of play evolved away from a center dominated hack fest and free throw shooting competition to an open, visually appealing game where forwards and guards started dunking and winning too.

You say NBA fans don't want parity, they want super teams.  I don't think that's true.  Sports fans love the NFL model and they tune in for it in far greater numbers than they do for NBA games.  You could put an NBA finals game on ABC up against a cable broadcast of the first round of the NFL draft and the NFL's event would crush the NBA's in ratings.  The level of fan interest and commitment regarding the NFL and NBA isn't even close.  It's a serious problem that the NBA has somehow managed to let their playoff games become more boring then the incredibly slow and boring NFL draft.  And NBA ratings are hurting too, they've been down a pretty significant percent from last year.  The presence of the super teams are killing interest.  The NBA is totally reliant on casuals tuning in to see stars, but they're also totally reliant on their being a perception that their competition is legitimate.  It's a terrible model and it's probably the biggest barrier to the NBA becoming the country's #1 sports league and a top 2 league globally.  Basketball is an international game with the highest level of youth participation in America and football has serious flaws in the game that are slowly going to cause it to go extinct.  Basketball is also a way more intuitive and exciting game than Baseball and Football.  The NBA isn't living up to its potential at all.  It's too crooked and the league is too stagnant and the competition is not legitimate.

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You cannot have true parity in a sport where one player can make a huge difference.

I don't believe this to be true.  The analogy to football is there is a huge gap between the two or three best quarterbacks and everyone else, and a quarterback is extremely individually impactful, but Russell Wilson and Eli Manning have beaten Tom Brady.  QBs are monstrously impactful just like superstars in basketball, but there can only be one of them on the field.

There are enough legitimate superstars in the NBA to lead 10 or 11 excellent teams.  The way you establish parity in the league is by making it impossible for any of them to team up.  A league where there are 10 Houstons/DCs/San Antonios who legitimately contend would be a lot more interesting than a two team league where every game played before the Finals is a formality.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You say NBA fans don't want parity, they want super teams.  I don't think that's true.  Sports fans love the NFL model and they tune in for it in far greater numbers than they do for NBA games.  You could put an NBA finals game on ABC up against a cable broadcast of the first round of the NFL draft and the NFL's event would crush the NBA's in ratings.  The level of fan interest and commitment regarding the NFL and NBA isn't even close. 

Sports fans love the football. It has nothing to do with parity or not. There is no parity in college football, yet that is right behind the NFL in terms of viewership.

Also, not sure how super teams is killing interest. The NBA playoff ratings are up this year.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't believe this to be true.  The analogy to football is there is a huge gap between the two or three best quarterbacks and everyone else, and a quarterback is extremely individually impactful, but Russell Wilson and Eli Manning have beaten Tom Brady.  QBs are monstrously impactful just like superstars in basketball, but there can only be one of them on the field.

There are enough legitimate superstars in the NBA to lead 10 or 11 excellent teams.  The way you establish parity in the league is by making it impossible for any of them to team up.  A league where there are 10 Houstons/DCs/San Antonios who legitimately contend would be a lot more interesting than a two team league where every game played before the Finals is a formality.

A quarterback is not on the field the same amount of time that Lebron James is on the court.

Unless you want Lebron to play for all 30 teams over the course of his career, parity is impossible in the NBA.

The NBA is even attempting to make it impossible now with the Designated Player Max, but as long as people on here critique players for not winning rings and taking money, players may not sign that and go to a place where they have a good chance at winning.

Fans and media are mad that players are calling our bluff and saying "ok, rings do matter. Let me go to a place where I can win." I don't mind it at all, im sorry. I love seeing the best at the highest level. We are on track to see that this year.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 2

In all seriousness, you basically have to stay off social media (really just Twitter) during the playoffs when LeBron is playing. It's just miserable hot takes on him being the best player ever because he had a great game, or him never comparing to Jordan because he didn't have a great game. 

It's awful. Can't just let things play out anymore in today's sports world.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Sports fans love the football. It has nothing to do with parity or not. There is no parity in college football, yet that is right behind the NFL in terms of viewership.

Also, not sure how super teams is killing interest. The NBA playoff ratings are up this year.

NBA ratings for almost every regional broadcast (including the Cavs and Warriors) plummeted this season.  The only games that held steady in ratings were national broadcasts.  That tells me that regular viewership is down and the NBA is trying to prop its ratings up with unsteady casual viewership.  They're just bailing water by creating more national TV games.  A big problem for the NBA is that there is a (justified) perception that there games outside the Finals don't matter.

College football has parity.  It's seen 13 different champions in the last 20 years.  Wire to wire number ones are rare.  It's a much more dynamic competition than the NBA.  And it's also got powerful regional fan bases all over the country because of die hard local and alumni support.  It's popularity is not built around casual viewership like the NBA's.  Building die hard regional support for each franchise is what the NBA should be trying to copy from the football leagues.  You can't tell me that's impossible for a basketball league because CBB has it.

As far as the feasibility of parity goes, LeBron James wasn't winning championships before he formed super teams.  If you put him on one or two star teams and have him go against other one or two star teams, he can be and has been beaten.

We'll see how much the DPE does to enact parity in the league, but it will take a while for its effect to kick in.  My guess is that it's a half measure because it won't impact enough players.  The only way you'll truly force parity is with a hard cap IMO.  And the only way you might get the players to agree to that is by doing away with max contracts.  If you can make it impossible for teams to get and keep a third All Star and/or a second top ten caliber player, then you'll diffuse the talent enough to field a bunch of contenders.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

In all seriousness, you basically have to stay off social media (really just Twitter) during the playoffs when LeBron is playing. It's just miserable hot takes on him being the best player ever because he had a great game, or him never comparing to Jordan because he didn't have a great game. 

It's awful. Can't just let things play out anymore in today's sports world.

Pretty sure you were that person on here several times in the past. It's basically what what led me to proclaiming you Son of Jordan