Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jordan never lost a Finals.  

Sure, LeBron is in the conversation but even LeBron admitted he's chasing Jordan's ghost.  If that's LeBron's perception, that's all I need to know.

Yeah but I'm not gonna penalize LeBron for dragging Booby Gibson to the Finals and inevitably losing. Just like I'm not gonna penalize MJ for getting swept by Bird-McHale-Parrish.

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

Yeah but I'm not gonna penalize LeBron for dragging Booby Gibson to the Finals and inevitably losing. Just like I'm not gonna penalize MJ for getting swept by Bird-McHale-Parrish.

Yeah, but once Jordan got there he never gave it up.  Never relinquished it.  First full season after coming back from playing baseball he unleashed on the league and they went 72-10 and won 3 more rings.

I respect LeBron, I think he's a hell of a basketball player and it's between him and Kobe for the best player in the post Jordan era.  But he had to go to Miami with his superfriends for the first few rings and then had to come back to Cleveland.  That's a nice story but there are some losses in there and, IMO, the switching teams tarnishes his GOAT status just a bit.  If Jordan is recognized as the standard, losing Finals and switching teams doesn't help LeBron's case.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, but once Jordan got there he never gave it up.  Never relinquished it.  First full season after coming back from playing baseball he unleashed on the league and they went 72-10 and won 3 more rings.

I respect LeBron, I think he's a hell of a basketball player and it's between him and Kobe for the best player in the post Jordan era.  But he had to go to Miami with his superfriends for the first few rings and then had to come back to Cleveland.  That's a nice story but there are some losses in there and, IMO, the switching teams tarnishes his GOAT status just a bit.  If Jordan is recognized as the standard, losing Finals and switching teams doesn't help LeBron's case.

This is one of the best arguments I've heard as far as Lebron's Legacy goes...

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Jordan never beat a team like 2016 Golden State

Seriously, I don't want to have to defend this clown

Jordan didn't play in a watered down NBA, for starters.  

2016 Golden State doesn't look nearly that good with the rules that Jordan dealt with back in the day.  IMO, the heart of the issue here isn't necessarily the matchup of talents and abilities, but the rules that each team had to play with.  And if you're including the rules that Jordan's teams had to abide by, it's not even a contest.  Even if you were to let Jordan's Bulls teams play with 2016 NBA rules, it'd still be close.  But back then, Bulls vs. Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals was practically a streetfight.  Same with Pistons vs. Bulls before Jordan could get to the Finals.  John Starks might not have been a truly great basketball player but he'd put Steph Curry in the front row if given the chance and it wouldn't be a technical.  

This pre-dates Jordan, but still:

NOT A TECHNICAL FOUL.  No fines or suspensions.  That doesn't happen in the NBA today.  If someone did that to softer-than-puppy-**** Steph that player would have been immediately ejected, fined and suspended.  You'd have Stephen A Smith not shutting the **** up about it for three days straight on ESPN.  Back then, this was business as usual.

More proof, here's Complex's top NBA Playoff Brawls:  http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/04/the-greatest-brawls-in-nba-playoffs-history/brawl-10

There's only one in there from the 2000s.  Look at #14 with the Bulls and Knicks, the Warriors never had to deal with anything that physical, with Starks using his head as a battering ram on Scottie Pippen's chest or a giant brute like Patrick Ewing throwing elbows.  

It was a wildly different era.  Here's John Stockton tackling David Robinson:  

If you're going to make a lazy argument about Jordan never having to play a team like 2016 Golden State, you should at least take the time to examine the difference in the rules and how the game was played between eras.  You say Jordan never had to play a team like 2016 Golden State....I say 2016 Golden State didn't have to survive in much more physical league.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DM72 said:

Just wondering, did IT have a legit injury or did he bail?

Thomas initially injured the hip March 15 against Minnesota and missed the next two games. He aggravated the injury in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Washington Wizards last week. 

Per ESPN

Didn't hear that he was injured until the butt whooping. I guess it is convenient.

Edited by ClaytoAli

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jordan didn't play in a watered down NBA, for starters.  

2016 Golden State doesn't look nearly that good with the rules that Jordan dealt with back in the day.  IMO, the heart of the issue here isn't necessarily the matchup of talents and abilities, but the rules that each team had to play with.  And if you're including the rules that Jordan's teams had to abide by, it's not even a contest.  Even if you were to let Jordan's Bulls teams play with 2016 NBA rules, it'd still be close.  But back then, Bulls vs. Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals was practically a streetfight.  Same with Pistons vs. Bulls before Jordan could get to the Finals.  John Starks might not have been a truly great basketball player but he'd put Steph Curry in the front row if given the chance and it wouldn't be a technical.  

This pre-dates Jordan, but still:

NOT A TECHNICAL FOUL.  No fines or suspensions.  That doesn't happen in the NBA today.  If someone did that to softer-than-puppy-**** Steph that player would have been immediately ejected, fined and suspended.  You'd have Stephen A Smith not shutting the **** up about it for three days straight on ESPN.  Back then, this was business as usual.

More proof, here's Complex's top NBA Playoff Brawls:  http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/04/the-greatest-brawls-in-nba-playoffs-history/brawl-10

There's only one in there from the 2000s.  Look at #14 with the Bulls and Knicks, the Warriors never had to deal with anything that physical, with Starks using his head as a battering ram on Scottie Pippen's chest or a giant brute like Patrick Ewing throwing elbows.  

It was a wildly different era.  Here's John Stockton tackling David Robinson:  

If you're going to make a lazy argument about Jordan never having to play a team like 2016 Golden State, you should at least take the time to examine the difference in the rules and how the game was played between eras.  You say Jordan never had to play a team like 2016 Golden State....I say 2016 Golden State didn't have to survive in much more physical league.  

I made the lazy argument? :ols:

We don't need to make it all that complicated (certainly not if you're gonna bore me with fighting montages to make some weird point, or whatever it is that Jordan stans do when even remotely challenged about their reality)

I said Jordan never beat a team like the 2016 Golden St Warriors, and he didn't. That is a fact. Has nothing to do with the retarded argument of whether or not Jordan's Bulls could have indeed beaten them directly. There is no comparison betweeen the historic, record breaking offensive/defensive machine LeBron beat, and any them Jordan ever faced. Sure, some would say the Pistons, but they were not at their apex when he swept them, and im pretty sure they were blown up pretty soon afterward.

Hey, who knows how it would play out exactly. All I know is, Jordan would probably average 60 points, and The Warriors would probably win by 20 every game. It's hilarious to envision a 90 pound Scottie Pippen trying to muscle up on anybody, let alone the sloth like Luc Longley trying to be a factor in anything other than being simply Luc Longley. Fun to think about, though. As for the "Watered down" modern NBA? Nothing more than a dick wanking fantasy propped up by Jordan fans

http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/11/why-nba-players-are-better-than-ever/

Offensive innovation, speed, power, globalization/competition, three point mastering, athletic big men that can space out and stretch the floor. Yeah..... I'll take that over caveman fights, slow, plodding bigs,career altering injuries to multiple stars and death by iso ball

Try again

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So.... Fights, slow, plodding bigs, and iso ball. And I made the lazy argument? :ols:

We don't need to make it all that complicated (certainly not if you're gonna bore me with fighting montages to make some weird point, or whatever it is that Jordan stans do when even remotely challenged about their reality)

I said Jordan never beat a team like the 2016 Golden St Warriors, and he didn't. That is a fact. Has nothing to do with the retarded argument of whether or not Jordan's Bulls could have indeed beaten them directly. There is no comparison betweeen the historic, record breaking offensive/defensive machine LeBron beat, and any them Jordan ever faced. Sure, some would say the Pistons, but they were not at their apex when he swept them, and im pretty sure they were blown up pretty soon afterward.

Hey, who knows how it would play out exactly. All I know is, Jordan would probably average 60 points, and The Warriors would probably win by 20 every game. It's hilarious to envision a 90 pound Scottie Pippen trying to muscle up on anybody, let alone the sloth like Luc Longley trying to be a factor in anything other than being simply Luc Longley. Fun to think about, though. As for the "Watered down" modern NBA? Nothing more than a dick wanking fantasy propped up by Jordan fans

http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/11/why-nba-players-are-better-than-ever/

Offensive innovation, speed, power, globalization/competition, three point mastering, athletic big men that can space out and stretch the floor. Yeah..... I'll take that over caveman fights, slow, plodding bigs, and death by iso ball

Try again

What are you talking about?  The NBA PPG averages were over 100 every year from 1980-1995.  Even the '88-'89 Pistons, one of the pre-eminent defensive teams of the era scored 106 PPG which was 16th in the league.  

Even LeBron said the NBA is watered down:  https://newsone.com/932385/lebron-james-says-league-is-watered-down-needs-downsizing/

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What are you talking about?  The NBA PPG averages were over 100 every year from 1980-1995.  Even the '88-'89 Pistons, one of the pre-eminent defensive teams of the era scored 106 PPG which was 16th in the league.  

What  does that have to do with anything I posted? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Lamarcus Aldridge is a bum. What an unusual misfire from the Spurs but a big waste of money on his soft ass 

He was good though. I don't understand what happened. 

• Like 1

Ehh...Spurs are still in the final four. 

Lost their best player, bench is not as deep as it typically is...but matches up better with the star player in the game. 

I never thought LA was a great player to begin with. He needs pieces or no pieces. Same as I felt about Odom. Although, Odom was better. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I cannot deny that Pop's anguish gives me deep satisfaction

My feelings are not hurt. 

Great coach, HOF players based on that partially. 

Consistent... I can't hate on one of the greatest coaches of all time for injuries and simply one bad decision. 

Edited by Kosher Ham

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If the league was watered down he wouldn't have needed to create two super teams, nor would he have lost in the finals as often as he won. 

The league feels extremely non-competitive this season because what Golden State did.  Now we've got Lebron's Super Friends against Curry's Superer Friends, and NBA season is a joke.  They'd better put on a show in the finals or all their talent stacking cheesiness amounted to, for fans, is an awful post season. 

The NBA itself is far more talented now than it was then if you look down the rosters to the role players and reserves.  The talent pools feeding the NBA have never been bigger.   

• Like 4

Remember when David Stern nixed the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers for "basketball reasons?"  Well, I know this is Silver's league now, but these NBA Finals (so far) have been bunk.  Should have just skipped the formality from the jump and just had the Warriors/Cavs play a best of 31 series. 

• Like 3