Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

32 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Whoever wins, they're gonna get swept by the 97 Bulls.

'96 Bulls 

We got em ('97 squad) late in the season in a epic game to keep  them from going back to back seasons with 70 wins. Of course none if that matters because we got embarrassed by them later on in the ECF.

Proud moment, though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I actually agree. The '01 Lakers would have beaten the Bulls

If we had the refs from the late 90's when they let players play then Toronto would mop the floor with all these junk teams.

• Like 2

Be sure to hear what Pippen says at the end of this about Curry. 

That sentiment is why my argument has been (all season) that Curry is in danger of losing his team.  If he defers to Durant and he makes the smart play, he becomes Scottie Pippen to Durant's Jordan.  Doesn't matter that he beat Durant in the playoffs, or that he has more MVPs and rings.  If Curry wants to remain the man, he has to dominate and win finals MVP.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destino said:

That sentiment is why my argument has been (all season) that Curry is in danger of losing his team.  If he defers to Durant and he makes the smart play, he becomes Scottie Pippen to Durant's Jordan.  Doesn't matter that he beat Durant in the playoffs, or that he has more MVPs and rings.  If Curry wants to remain the man, he has to dominate and win finals MVP.   

It does matter that Curry has won MVPs and a ring as the guy on a team before Durant ever came along.  He can never be Pippen because of this.

A better analogy for Curry and Durant would be Magic and Kareem.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It does matter that Curry has won MVPs and a ring as the guy on a team before Durant ever came along.  He can never be Pippen because of this.

I don't think that even works.  By the time the Lakers got Magic, Kareem was clearly past his prime.  The Lakers were struggled over multiple years to even get out of the first round of the playoffs.  It was clear he was no longer capable of fronting a championship team.  If Magic had gone somewhere else, through the 1980s, the Lakers would not have been a championship contender.

Durrant and Curry are essentially the same age.  If they were not on the same the team, there teams would have been one of the pre-season top contenders for the championship team.

If Durrant stays in OK, the contenders for the championship are the Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, and Cavs.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

thats not true

He was 5th in voting in 2009-10, dropped to 7th in 2010-11, then 10th in 2011-12 and 2012-13.  Then wasn't even on the list since then.  Definitely on the decline of MVP status.  

We can argue that 2010-11 where he was 7th that he still was playing at an MVP caliber level, given the fact he received points in the voting.  But while it doesn't seem like a big drop from being 5th overall the year before to 7th overall, the point drop was pretty steep (from 119 to 24).

I guess it's really about how you look at the voting and player in general.  I thought he was still playing at a very high level in 2010-11 (from the games I saw), all-star without a doubt, but not so sure about MVP caliber anymore.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

He was 5th in voting in 2009-10, dropped to 7th in 2010-11, then 10th in 2011-12 and 2012-13.  Then wasn't even on the list since then.  Definitely on the decline of MVP status.  

We can argue that 2010-11 where he was 7th that he still was playing at an MVP caliber level, given the fact he received points in the voting.  But while it doesn't seem like a big drop from being 5th overall the year before to 7th overall, the point drop was pretty steep (from 119 to 24).

I guess it's really about how you look at the voting and player in general.  I thought he was still playing at a very high level in 2010-11 (from the games I saw), all-star without a doubt, but not so sure about MVP caliber anymore.  

Lebron finished 3rd and only got 3 first place votes in the 2010-11 season.

Still, I was not responding to Wade's decline. I responded to Wade's status in the game that summer of 2010. He had a 28 PER that 09/10 season and averaged 26 a game. He was still an elite player and an MVP candidate. A top 5 player in the game as well.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kareem and Magic was the passing of the torch from one legend to the next.  Durant and Curry are the same age and the former "best player" is being shouldered aside in his prime.  To demonstrate my point, keep an eye on how many MVP votes Curry gets over the next three years if Durant cements himself as the best player on the Warriors.  He'll get virtually no consideration because, no matter how capable he might be, Robin is not Batman. 

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I don't think that even works.  By the time the Lakers got Magic, Kareem was clearly past his prime.  The Lakers were struggled over multiple years to even get out of the first round of the playoffs.  It was clear he was no longer capable of fronting a championship team.  If Magic had gone somewhere else, through the 1980s, the Lakers would not have been a championship contender.

That's true for the mid-late 1980s but Kareem's first year with the Lakers he won NBA MVP and the only reason he wasn't Finals MVP was because he got hurt. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

Kareem and Magic was the passing of the torch from one legend to the next.  Durant and Curry are the same age and the former "best player" is being shouldered aside in his prime.  To demonstrate my point, keep an eye on how many MVP votes Curry gets over the next three years if Durant cements himself as the best player on the Warriors.  He'll get virtually no consideration because, no matter how capable he might be, Robin is not Batman. 

It's the classic Lowry/DeRozan conundrum 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's true for the mid-late 1980s but Kareem's first year with the Lakers he won NBA MVP and the only reason he wasn't Finals MVP was because he got hurt. 

the offense was still built around Kareem until the 86-87 season

Showtime did not become a thing until that season.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

It feels like you are reaching for a narrative that no one seems to care about. 

It's interesting to me because it feels unprecedented.  But if you'd rather talk about something else, like why Klay Thompson is playing like a mediocre role player and if that will continue in the finals, I'm game.  14.4 ppg on .383 shooting doesn't exactly scream star player does it, what's happened? 

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Still boggles my mind that Javale freaking McGee is the starting C for a team that's in the Finals. Just crazy.

He's only playing 10 min a game and not starting.  Crazy productivity though.   

• Like 1