Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's true for the mid-late 1980s but Kareem's first year with the Lakers he won NBA MVP and the only reason he wasn't Finals MVP was because he got hurt. 

I think Kareem was still the best player/alpha dog on that team until the '88 repeat. It was close in '87, but he was a shell by '88.

He was in decline in '87, but then he had that Game 6 in the Finals where he scored 32 on 75 percent shooting.

I really don't think people realize how amazing Kareem's career was.

He scored 27 points in a deciding Finals game in 1971. And 32 in a deciding Finals game in 1987.

Lebron will need to be dominating a Finals Game in 2023 to match that.

As for this Series, I just hope these two teams have had enough rest.

I think Klay needs to be fed early in the game to get into rhythm. If you start feeding him the ball later in the game without him getting to rhythm first then I think he struggles. Which would explain why he might still get the same number of shot attempts but shooting at a lower percentage. His defense has been great tho. Sodomized patty mills

Or or he might just be having a cold stretch. 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

the offense was still built around Kareem until the 86-87 season

Showtime did not become a thing until that season.

Showtime was a thing very early in Magic's career and certainly by the time Riley was the head coach (realistically, the style of offense is why Westhead got fired).

http://www.webcitation.org/6CkFGM070

The Lakers pace of play during the Magic era peaked really peaked his first year (at 104.1).  Now during this time, the general trend of NBA pace of play was slowing down so as compared to the rest of the league, they peaked at 4th in 1981 (at 103.1).

By 1986-87, their pace was down to 101.6 and their ranking down to 10th.  In 1989 and 1990, they were 20th and 25th in pace.

(Part of the problem is that you don't understand the importance of Kareem as a rebounder, running the floor on the break, and as a rim protector in a trapping defense as part of Show time and what his aging meant to Show time.)

Edited by PeterMP

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's true for the mid-late 1980s but Kareem's first year with the Lakers he won NBA MVP and the only reason he wasn't Finals MVP was because he got hurt. 

Yeah, but he was also still past his prime.  It would be like if the guy the Cavs draft this year turned into a great player right away and was ahead of Kyrie and Love.  Yeah, Lebron might win the MVP.  Lebron might be the best player on the team.  And if the guy they draft leads them to a win of game 6 in the NBA championship to close out the NBA finals after Lebron gets hurt in game 5, Lebron might have won the NBA finals MVP if he hadn't gotten hurt, but the other guy did.

But Lebron has also clearly peaked and baring some injury or something, the other guy is clearly the future. 

There were years where Kareem lead the NBA in PER by more than 4 points.  That year, Dr. J lead the league in PER and Kareem was 2nd.  Kareem was MVP, but he was no longer clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the league like he had been.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think Kareem was still the best player/alpha dog on that team until the '88 repeat. It was close in '87, but he was a shell by '88.

He was in decline in '87, but then he had that Game 6 in the Finals where he scored 32 on 75 percent shooting.

I really don't think people realize how amazing Kareem's career was.

He scored 27 points in a deciding Finals game in 1971. And 32 in a deciding Finals game in 1987.

Lebron will need to be dominating a Finals Game in 2023 to match that.

As for this Series, I just hope these two teams have had enough rest.

Generally, I don't know how Kareem gets left out of the best ever conversations.

If you give me a set of rules where he can get his sky hook off with minimal interference/body contact (which is how the rules were enforced when he played) and there is no 3 point line (again, the case for most of his career), I'm not sure I've seen a better player.

At his peak, playing the game as the rules were enforced in 1980, I'm not sure anybody would be better than Kareem.

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Pierce/Garnett?

I don't think Pierce was ever in Curry or Durant's class.  KG was during his absolute peak, but he was at least two years removed from that when he was traded to Boston.  He was still a great player for the first year he was in Boston.  After that he declined quite a bit.  

That Big 3 had a really short term expiration date.  Curry and Durant can be a power for the next five years.  They'll probably average 65 wins a season for their first three years together and threepeat.

And I can see neither of them winning MVP again because they're on a team together.  Not unless one of them gets hurt and the other gets to put up crazy numbers from carrying the team.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Kareem is the best basketball player ever. 

I would say most successful basketball career ever.  His longevity is one of the biggest points in his favor.

But I don't think he could reach the SSJ2 gear that Jordan could.

If you were to build a team from scratch around Kareem and Jordan and give them equal supporting casts, I don't think I would bet on Kareem's team over Jordan's.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would say most successful basketball career ever.  His longevity is one of the biggest points in his favor.

But I don't think he could reach the SSJ2 gear that Jordan could.

If you were to build a team from scratch around Kareem and Jordan and give them equal supporting casts, I don't think I would bet on Kareem's team over Jordan's.

Comparing guards to centers is almost impossible. Equal teams would be Jordan has a center as good as Kareem and Kareem has a 2 guard as good as Jordan.

It's one of the great oddities in history that Jordan really only faced two teams with great centers in his playoff runs - the incredibly over-rated Patrick Ewing and the at times completely disinterested Shaq. It's really sad that we never got a Rockets-Bulls Finals. That would have been all kinds of fun.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

So with Kerr most likely not on the sidelines, will the Warriors allow Lebron to iso against Curry again or will KD go under screens and dare Bron to shoot?  I'm assuming KD will guard him most of the time.  

I bet they're going to do some funky stuff to try and defend him.  They've got four guys in their top six that they can put on him.  Klay is a legitimately good defensive player.  Durant and Iggy are legitimately excellent ones.  And Green is one of the three greatest of his era.

I heard a lot of people picking the Cavs on my local sports radio program.  Everyone was talking about how the Cavs Big 3 > Golden State's Big 3, particularly since Klay has been relegated to being a glorified Korver/Danny Green this postseason.  I can understand it.  Durant is a whole lot better than Irving, but LeBron and Kevin Love are both way better than Curry and whichever of Green/Thompson is Golden State's third guy.

But I feel like people are sleeping on the huge difference in these two defenses.  Cleveland's defense is crap.  They've looked OK against a bunch of one note offenses that have no versatility. Golden State plays truly great defense.  They can defend Cleveland and there is no way Cleveland is going to defend them.  I think this will be the difference in a series that should otherwise be pretty even.

Curry has got to show up this time though.  It has to be at least LeBron >> Curry, not LeBron >>>>>>>>> Curry like the past two Finals.

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Comparing guards to centers is almost impossible. Equal teams would be Jordan has a center as good as Kareem and Kareem has a 2 guard as good as Jordan.

It's one of the great oddities in history that Jordan really only faced two teams with great centers in his playoff runs - the incredibly over-rated Patrick Ewing and the at times completely disinterested Shaq. It's really sad that we never got a Rockets-Bulls Finals. That would have been all kinds of fun.

Or a good series against San Antonio.  The windows just missed each other.

But Jordan did beat up on Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.  I also wouldn't say Shaq was disinterested in that beatdown.  I would say he was immature and feeling himself and they just got pantsed by a killing machine Bulls team.  Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson were really good too.  Imagine how different Zo's stature would be if he'd come along in 2002 instead of 1992.  He'd have been first team All NBA for an entire decade.

Kareem is kind of like Duncan.  Quiet, thoughtful, serious outside of the sport too.  I think their legacies will age like wine.  20 years from now people will be marveling about the fact a 50 year old Duncan beat Prime LeBron and use it as a key benchmark in establishing his greatness.