Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

14 minutes ago, MLSKINS said:

“Everybody can’t be Shaq. [McGee]’s trying to make his money and enjoy the game of basketball and [there’s] this perception of him that he’s a dumb player because he makes mistakes on the court. Shaq was a ****ty free throw shooter, missed dunks, airballed free throws and he couldn’t shoot outside the paint. He was bigger than everybody. He didn’t have no skills, but he was bigger and stronger than everybody. He was still a great player, but you had your flaws too.”

KD just laid into Shaq during a press conference.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/kevin-durant-javale-mcgee-shaq-feud/

I swear, man. Dudes are soft as hell. It wasn't that serious. Anybody that has watched basketball can recognize that McGee is in a better place compared to years past. It was harmless humor

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I swear, man. Dudes are soft as hell. It wasn't that serious. Anybody that has watched basketball can recognize that McGee is in a better place compared to years past. It was harmless humor

The only reason I took McGee side is because Shaq said he wouldn't go after him if he didn't mess up, but he's literally flamed him every week since... Then made a 3 minute movie trailer about him. ??

• Like 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Draymond is an ass..but his burn of Pierce last night was epic. That was a weak comeback from Pierce. I thought he'd be more original. 

Yeah it was really lame. Draymond probably had Pierce close to faking another ACL injury so he could book it back to the locker room 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

@MLSKINS Fair enough. You gotta admit though.... McGee is just one of those dudes you can't help but fry at every possible chance.

Facts... Lol 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Biggest douchebag move I've ever seen. I would think more of him if he had walked over to Kobe and spit on him.    

Naw... We're crossing the uncrossable line right there. Somebody spit on me, I might kill them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jay Bilas talked about the issue on Mike & Mike a couple of days ago--guys who shoot 40% from three score more points than guys who shoot %50 from two.

And DeMarcus Cousins doesn't shoot 50% from two.  And neither Cousins nor Davis are dominant defensive players, so they don't have that traditional advantage that stems from size either.

They have an inefficient roster construction.

The math is great and all but in practice where are these 40% three point shooters producing all those points from the three line?  Let's look at some stats, here are my search parameters. 

- Playoffs

- 3p% >= 35%

- 3PM >= 3 per game (that's just 9 points from the three line)

- PPG >= 15.  (If we are talking about stars, I'm not interested in role players just barely creeping into double digits)

http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/#!?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Playoffs&CF=FG3_PCT*GE*39:PTS*GE*15:FG3M*GE*3

Last year that search yields just four names.  Klay, Steph, Caldwell Pope, and Lillard. 

2014-15 that same search returns only two names.  Curry and Eric Gordon. 

2013-14 only one player did that.  Kemba Walker. 

So it's basically the Warriors and guys that never had a chance of winning a title.  Kevin Durant interestingly has never averaged 40% from three or three made 3p shots per game in the post season.  So the math might say a player that just knocks down shots behind the three line can crush the production of star level interior scorers, but the stats don't show that they're many individual players who are actually doing that outside of two of the best shooters in NBA history.  If you switch the 3PM filter to <= 3 the list grows dramatically to 10+ players each year.   

The league is dominated by perimeter scorers though.  They are just doing most of their scoring inside the three line.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

@MLSKINS Fair enough. You gotta admit though.... McGee is just one of those dudes you can't help but fry at every possible chance.

Being a homer and defending McGee when he was on the Wizards was ****ing exhausting.  I was so relieved when we traded him for Nene.  Before we made that move, JaVale was arguably the best player John Wall had gotten to play with in his career :pint:

If you ever wondered how the Wizars were able to draft that Wall/Beal/Porter group, that's your answer.  By the beginning of Wall's third season, he was the longest tenured player on the team.

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

The league is dominated by perimeter scorers though.  They are just doing most of their scoring inside the three line.

Good stuff.  Then I think the parameter has to go from being "3 pt shooter" to "3 pt shooter who also gets to the FT line a lot" to define what today's star perimeter player is.  Then you can probably lower the number from 40% from three to like 37% so long as they get to the FT line a lot and shoot a high percentage because their offensive efficiency will still be off the charts.  That makes room for guys like Harden and Kawhi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I disagree that it isn't serious in this specific case.  Normally I'd agree with you that a twitter spat with Shaq isn't worth mentioning, but McGee's career has been negatively impacted by his being perceived as a stupid player.  I was saying this when he was a wizard but there has always been too much focus on how ridiculous (and unquestionably entertaining) his mistakes are.  A hilarious turnover is still just a turnover and nothing more when it's all said and done.  A guy that turns over the ball once a game isn't hurting his team more or less if that turnover comes from a strip while driving the lane or by tripping over his own feet and launching the ball out of bounds.  (actually the second scenario doesn't result in a transition opportunity... so the less spectacular turnover in that scenario is more damaging, even if it is boring and routine.)

Having said all of that, McGee is not a smart or even particularly good basketball player.  He can however do a few things very well, and he's shown that with the Warriors.  Having him play limited minutes and score via lobs and put backs is ideal.  His poor defense doesn't kill you against the opposing teams bench and he can make the most of his freakish length and athleticism. 

• Like 1

JaVale brought a lot of the negative scrutiny on himself by being so silly and immature.  He's definitely a clown.  Remember that game where we were losing by like 20 and he frickin threw it off the backboard to himself on a dunk?  Remember that game where he was working on a points/rebounds/blocks triple double and he needed the points and he missed like four bunnies before finally getting a dunk to get 10 points?  We were down by like 20 in the fourth quarter to the Bulls and he frickin hung on the rim and was barking after he finally got the dunk.  Total clown.  He liked having fun and he didn't care about winning.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

JaVale brought a lot of the negative scrutiny on himself by being so silly and immature.  He's definitely a clown.  Remember that game where we were losing by like 20 and he frickin threw it off the backboard to himself on a dunk?  Remember that game where he was working on a points/rebounds/blocks triple double and he needed the points and he missed like four bunnies before finally getting a dunk to get 10 points?  We were down by like 20 in the fourth quarter to the Bulls and he frickin hung on the rim and was barking after he finally got the dunk.  Total clown.  He liked having fun and he didn't care about winning.

Thats the Javale I remember. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Davis and Cousins are more than just the two best players on bad teams.  Davis is already widely viewed as a top five player and the best player of his generation--meaning he'll be the best player in the league once LeBron, Durant, and Curry all get old.  And Cousins is widely viewed as the league's best center.

Top end talent is not New Orleans's issue any more.  The issue is going to be that they don't have a balanced and efficient roster construction in today's era.  There is a place for dominant bigs like them on a great team, but a team doesn't need two of them.

Love finished as high as 6th in MVP voting before being traded.

I don't care where you are ranked in terms of centers in today's more positionless NBA.

Lebron was dragging bad teams to winning records by his 2nd season and into the playoffs by his 3rd.  Embiid, when healthy this year, has been a better player than Davis and Cousins and it is his first year in the NBA and didn't play organized basketball.  If Embiid had played all year healthy, he would have the Sixers in the playoffs.

I'm sticking with they are good players on bad teams that make them look better than they are (like Love), but not really top NBA players and taking 2 good players from bad teams is better than having 1 good player on a bad team, but it isn't as good as having 2 great players or 1 great one and one 1 good one, and I'm not even sure as having 1 great one alone.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The math is great and all but in practice where are these 40% three point shooters producing all those points from the three line?  Let's look at some stats, here are my search parameters. 

- Playoffs

- 3p% >= 35%

- 3PM >= 3 per game (that's just 9 points from the three line)

- PPG >= 15.  (If we are talking about stars, I'm not interested in role players just barely creeping into double digits)

http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/#!?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Playoffs&CF=FG3_PCT*GE*39:PTS*GE*15:FG3M*GE*3

Last year that search yields just four names.  Klay, Steph, Caldwell Pope, and Lillard. 

2014-15 that same search returns only two names.  Curry and Eric Gordon. 

2013-14 only one player did that.  Kemba Walker. 

So it's basically the Warriors and guys that never had a chance of winning a title.  Kevin Durant interestingly has never averaged 40% from three or three made 3p shots per game in the post season.  So the math might say a player that just knocks down shots behind the three line can crush the production of star level interior scorers, but the stats don't show that they're many individual players who are actually doing that outside of two of the best shooters in NBA history.  If you switch the 3PM filter to <= 3 the list grows dramatically to 10+ players each year.   

Yeah, but that's misleading because it is mostly against good teams (which includes good defense).  Do it vs. Pelicans and you get 17 players.  I'll bet Cousins doesn't shoot 50% from the floor in the playoffs.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

The Golden State Warriors have reached out to Turner Sports to discuss Shaquille O'Neal's ongoing coverage of center JaVale McGee, league sources told ESPN.

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors contacted Turner officials to express concern about TNT's yearslong McGee coverage on the "Shaqtin' a Fool" segment on the popular "Inside The NBA" show, with the team contending that the ongoing negative portrayal of the veteran center is doing unnecessary damage to McGee's reputation.

A Turner source confirmed the discussions with the Warriors and told ESPN that "the matter has been discussed internally" after a Twitter feud erupted Thursday night between O'Neal and McGee.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18759654/golden-state-warriors-asked-turner-sports-address-shaquille-oneal-criticism-javale-mcgee

their employers got involved.  lol

• Like 1