Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

14 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I think at some point if an owner of a professional sports organization shows no signs of wanting or being able to improve the product he puts on the field/ice/court he should be forced to sell. It may seem silly but eventually you'll have a league full of owners who care about their teams and want to win. 

A relegation system could fix some of the NBA's problems.

I really don't think there should be any questions about the instability of the Kings and Cousins' part in all of it after watching the clown show over the past couple of days.  I hardly fault him for that toxic environment.  He's gonna flourish in New Orleans.  Him and Davis are going to be a huge problem...can't wait for a potential Pelicans/Warriors round 1 match up. 

28 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I really don't think there should be any questions about the instability of the Kings and Cousins' part in all of it after watching the clown show over the past couple of days.  I hardly fault him for that toxic environment.  He's gonna flourish in New Orleans.  Him and Davis are going to be a huge problem...can't wait for a potential Pelicans/Warriors round 1 match up. 

The Kings are a mess. But I still think Cousins is half crazy at least. And if it was just a case of the environment screwing up the player, I'm not sure that NO is the kind of place that can calm him down right now, even with Anthony Davis.

Regardless of what they do this year though, I'm interested to see what they do in the summer. If they get the right mix of players they could be a really good anti small ball team. Maybe a better more athletic version of Memphis a few years ago

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

The Kings are an utter trainwreck.  They made this trade about three years too late.  But there is also no question that Cousins is a loser and a man-child.  That's a big part of why the Kings's on court product sucked so bad.  They tried to make him the leader and build everything around him because he's a dominant talent but the dude is utterly devoid of leadership qualities.

He constantly has to be managed and you can never trust him to behave like a pro at the first sign of adversity.  It's utterly exhausting and he sucked the life out of the Kings.  He'd frequently do **** like completely shut down on the court and stop trying in fits of pique because he felt someone had slighted him.  He couldn't take any sort of criticism and he started conflicts all the time.  He has the emotional maturity of a 15 year old, and you absolutely can not win with that if he's one of your core guys because they define the culture of your organization.  I remember reading an article about him growing up a long time ago, and it discussed how developmentally stunted he was and how limited his life experience was before he got to Kentucky.  You've seen exactly how that's played out in the NBA, and all the problems it has caused for him and his team.  He's like Mike Tyson without the damaging history of childhood sexual abuse.

All these years we've talked about the Wizards trading for him, and I was a fan of the guy long before he became a dominant player and started averaging 25 and 10+.  But I was on board with trading for him when he was like 22 and I assumed he was going to grow up.  He's 26 now and I just don't going to happen.  He is not normal.  I think his best years will have long since passed him by when the lightbulb finally comes on and he figures how to deal with the world.  That's why I was never in favor of trading Beal for him.  You've got to have Cousins isolated as far from any sort of leadership role as possible, which means you need a lot of dominant players and personalities in your locker room.

That's not something New Orleans has BTW.  This is not going to work out for them unless they're able to lure in someone like Chris Paul this summer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Kings are an utter trainwreck.  They made this trade about three years too late.  But there is also no question that Cousins is a loser and a man-child.  That's a big part of why the Kings's on court product sucked so bad.  They tried to make him the leader and build everything around him because he's a dominant talent but the dude is utterly devoid of leadership qualities.

He constantly has to be managed and you can never trust him to behave like a pro at the first sign of adversity.  It's utterly exhausting and he sucked the life out of the Kings.  He'd frequently do **** like completely shut down on the court and stop trying in fits of pique because he felt someone had slighted him.  He couldn't take any sort of criticism and he started conflicts all the time.  He has the emotional maturity of a 15 year old, and you absolutely can not win with that if he's one of your core guys because they define the culture of your organization.  I remember reading an article about him growing up a long time ago, and it discussed how developmentally stunted he was and how limited his life experience was before he got to Kentucky.  You've seen exactly how that's played out in the NBA, and all the problems it has caused for him and his team.  He's like Mike Tyson without the damaging history of childhood sexual abuse.

All these years we've talked about the Wizards trading for him, and I was a fan of the guy long before he became a dominant player and started averaging 25 and 10+.  But I was on board with trading for him when he was like 22 and I assumed he was going to grow up.  He's 26 now and I just don't going to happen.  He is not normal.  I think his best years will have long since passed him by when the lightbulb finally comes on and he figures how to deal with the world.  That's why I was never in favor of trading Beal for him.  You've got to have Cousins isolated as far from any sort of leadership role as possible, which means you need a lot of dominant players and personalities in your locker room.

That's not something New Orleans has BTW.  This is not going to work out for them unless they're able to lure in someone like Chris Paul this summer.

Interesting. Chris Paul would be exactly what they need at pg. I think LAC blows everything up after this year so perhaps Redick follows him as well, and they get some more 3 pt depth

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Interesting. Chris Paul would be exactly what they need at pg. I think LAC blows everything up after this year so perhaps Redick follows him as well, and they get some more 3 pt depth

I think the Clippers are the biggest question mark in the league beyond this season.

- They have no assets with which to significantly improve.  Doc Rivers blew their draft picks in stupid deals, and trading for Rivers was also stupid.

- They won't realistically be able to deal any of their four good players without take a big loss in value and a major step back.

- They've had terrible injury luck the past two seasons and it's stunted them from becoming a power team in the West.

- Blake Griffin's game might not age well.

- CP3 has never gotten his team to a conference championship, a fact which is pretty remarkable for someone who has been a top five player for most of the past ten years.  You kind of have to wonder wtf is the deal there.  Frickin Houston and Memphis have been.  Recently.  Why hasn't CP3 ever been able to will a team there in the postseason before?

- Griffin, CP3, and Redick are all UFAs this summer.  Things could go South for them in a hurry.

- Zach Lowe said Doc Rivers hates the thought of a rebuild, so he could do something crazy.

So yeah, they've got two All NBA players hitting the market this summer.  If CP3 and Griffin leave, it could completely change the competitive balance of the league.  CP3 on New Orleans makes them dangerous.  Blake Griffin on OKC or Boston makes either of those teams dangerous.  Or they could both stay on the Clippers, stay healthy, and then LA is the power team we thought they were going to be this season before they got injured.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I disagree.  That whole environment was toxic.  Cousins is not without his warts, but that Kings organization from top to bottom is not conducive to winning.  All of that starts with ownership.  I'm not even going to say the front office, because we all know it's Vivek pulling the strings.  Just off the top of my head, cherry picking 4 on 5 basketball...crowdsourcing a draft pick...prematurely firing Mike Malone.  It goes on and on.  They never built a good team around Cousins.  We talk about the Wizards doing Wall no favors...but his situation is almost a complete 180 from what Boogie went through in Sacramento. 

Cousins wants to win...that should never be questioned.  His passion sometimes gets the best of him, but I'd much rather have a guy like that...who actually cares a little too much, than the opposite.  I'd LOVE to see what will happen with Cousins in a more stable environment and good coaching.  He's going to get a good players coach in Gentry and a top talent in the league to play with in Davis.  Not to mention having a severely underrated PG, who's good on both ends of the floor, feeding him the ball.  Pelicans are going to have a formidable big-3 and this team (when they gel) will be a force.  I have ZERO doubts about this.  I'm not saying they're going to beat the Warriors, but don't be surprised if they steal a game or two in a series. 

McQueen I think you answered your own question when it comes to Paul's playoff woes. Health

LAC has had some of the most crazy, untimely bad postseason luck of any team in history. I think the Donald Sterling stuff messed them over a couple years ago. Last year, I absolutely believe they would have beaten GS if it weren't for the voodoo doll like destruction of their lineup. GS was particularly vulnerable at that moment, and the Blazers have them a moment to collect themselves, instead of the death knell the Clippers would've given them.

On top of that, the west has been a death gauntlet for the better part of 17-18 years. Teams like SA, LA, DAL, OKC, etc, have kept him from getting to that championship round

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

It would be hilarious if Boogie ended up going back to Sacramento after this year. It won't happen - but the Kings were ****ed no matter what. Either devote 30+% of your cap to him and hope he isn't the cancer/me first player he has been (and I know - I see it another way from some of you all - especially since I work in the area he plays)...or get whatever you can for him before he leaves town (provided he doesn't take the option that the Kings originally offfered him).

Even if the trade was lopsided right now, if Cousins doesn't sign with NO...that was a lot to pay for him for a few months. 

Edited by The Evil Genius