Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Shaq won his rings with the Lakers as the guy. Durant would presumably win rings as the sidekick at best, the mercenary at worst. He goes from being considered in the same strata as LeBron and Larry Bird to being, at best, Scottie Pippen, or at worst, Adrian Dantley/Mark Aguirre.

His legacy would absolutely take a hit. It's not enough for a player of Durant's stature to win rings. He has to win them as the guy. The alpha player and leader of his team.

And Durant is a natural alpha. He's not going to want to go and be Steph Curry's sidekick. That's why I think this discussion is moot. The most likely thing that will happen is he signs a one and one deal for OKC with an out for the second season. Then he'll see what Westbrook does the next summer. If Westbrook bolts, then I can see him leaving. But he's not going to go join up with LeBron or Curry. He'll go to a team where he can both contend AND be the clear cut leader and best player. That pretty much puts everyone BUT Golden State and Cleveland in play.

The other thing is, for a player as good as Durant, a whole lot of other stuff other than surrounding talent gets put into play. He's so good that he'll be looking at bigger picture stuff. He'll make any team he joins a contender. And every team will want to sign him. So he gets to be so much more selective and heavily consider things like, does he believe in the front office? Does he believe in the coaching staff? Does he like the community? Does he have good relationships with the extant players? Can he get extra leverage with a front office like LeBron did?

I disagree with this.  He can go to GS and it will not hurt his legacy like you think it would.  And he wouldn't be Cury's sidekick lol.  He is a former MVP and he would be more productive than Harrison Barnes or Iguodala are.  

It doesn't really matter though, I don't think he's going there anyhow, just joining in on the "what if" conversation.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

durant didn't come back from his injury as completely as westbrook did

Durant, right now, is better than Westbrook is, right now. He is the runner up for MVP, and he still hasn't completely gotten back to where he was.

OKC runs a ton of offense for Westbrook. He puts up gaudy volume numbers. He has the ball in his hands a ton. But Durant is the leader of that team, the one who the others have to scheme to stop first, the one who takes games over in crunch time, and the one who they rely on to go from being a .500 team to a 60 win team.

How valuable is Draymond Green? That last sequence shows you just how much. Huge sequence.

Also shows the difference between OKCs hero ball golden states passing. When the game was tied at 104 (3:25 remaining in the game) I don't think an OKC player not named Westbrook or Durant touched the ball on the offensive side, and no shot attempt was assisted. Warriors scored 12 more and 8 of them were assisted.

I think people are bored with the idea of Durant and Westbrook in OKC TBH. So we've been hearing crazy ass specualtive stories like "Durant will go home to DC" (hurts to say that), "Durant to Toronto because he kind of liked them as a kid and also Drake," "Durant to **** out and join Golden State," "Westbrook to the Lakers," "Durant to follow Westbrook to the Lakers."

None of that **** is going to happen. Most likely scenario is that Durant signs a one year extension in OKC and then he and Westbrook re-up together the next summer.

But here is a speculation that does interest me: if things don't get better for Houston, at what point do they have to fear Harden bolting back to OKC when his deal is up?

But here is a speculation that does interest me: if things don't get better for Houston, at what point do they have to fear Harden bolting back to OKC when his deal is up?

Harden is not going to OKC.  Hr is not going anywhere where he is not the first option on offense, and not even the second option, but the third.  OKC doesn't pass much as it is, and there are hardly enough basketballs to go around just for Westbrook and Durant as it is.

If Harden bolts it will be to a team that needs a ball dominant scorer.  A team like *gasp* the Lakers.  Or maybe to replace a fading Dwayne Wade at Miami. 

Every time I look at the standings, I'm stunned at how close the race for the top seed in the West really is. Golden State may have to set the wins record just to ensure home court in the WCF.

Well, Festus Ezili just had knee surgery today, so Golden State is vulnerable indeed.  

• Like 1

Harden was happy in OKC. Happier than he's been in Houston IMO. Was an excellent facilitator and played good defense back then. He played winning basketball on a consistent basis and he put OKC into potential dynasty territory.

They had to decide between him and Ibaka.