Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Not to sound like a hater, but there is an article I was reading about how Ginobioi, Duncan, and Parker all took less than the max to stay together. Yet it made everyone upset when the Heat players did it.

On the flip side being in LA its easy to see how Kobe's cap number is a detriment.

It's viewed differently because:

1. These are all guys who were drafted by the team and are looking to keep said team together

2. Two of the three are outside their prime. Timmy's 38. Manu's 36. Parker's the youngest at 32.

3. Manu's an excellent 6th man off the bench, but I question whether or not any team would honestly give him a "max" deal.

And that's just comparing it to the big three coming together at first. If you're trying to compare it to the big three taking cuts to get ANOTHER top 10 to 20 player on their team, then that doesn't really work either. Parker, Ginoboli, and Duncan didn't take pay cuts to pick up a perrenial all star to top load the team, which does change how it's viewed.

Edited by ZRagone

Lebron stands to make 30 mil cash (plus stock) off of this Apple/Beats deal.  He invested in the company back in 2008. 

So...watch all these Heat players take MASSIVE paycuts this summer after opting out, and Riley will either re-tool by adding more players OR go after Melo. 

Maybe there was something to be said about not 1...not 2....not 3...etc. 

this has been the NBA's history. I dont get why people dont get this.

No, it really isn't. Not in the way I'm talking about. There were very few instances in the NBA's history where you had four top teir players on a single team, and of those instances none of them I can think of came about with 3/4ths of that group being brought in externally let alone through their own designs.

what exactly were the Lakers and Celtics in the 80s?

Not teams put together in the way I was describing in my post, with four "franchise" type guys choosing to come together on a single team.

The Lakers traded for Kareem when they didn't have that much, in Kareem's prime. They did go out and pick up Jamaal Wilkes. But Magic and Worthy were both DRAFTED, and by the time Worthy was drafted Kareem was 35...well out of his prime.

The Celtics had Tiny Archibald when they drafted Bird. They did trade for Parris, but drafted McHale. You could possibly say "Bill Walton", but at the time they brought him in as a past his prime, oft injured, big man to come off the bench you'd be hard pressed to include him. (Just like I'm not including Ray Allen in the conversation with the other four)

and they want to get together earlier, in their primes, and when they can actually do something. GOOD!

You say good, I say bad. You may enjoy "Greatness" that is really just "purposefully stacked talent", but I prefer seeing a parity and a nice spread of superstars. And in such situations, achieving "greatness" becomes something far more interesting to watch.

No, it really isn't. Not in the way I'm talking about. There were very few instances in the NBA's history where you had four top teir players on a single team, and of those instances none of them I can think of came about with 3/4ths of that group being brought in externally let alone through their own designs.

the Lakers with Wilt, West, and Baylor?

The 60s Celtics with 8 HOFers?

The early 70s Knicks?

The 80s Lakers and Celtics?

Its happened, and always happened.

Not teams put together in the way I was describing in my post, with four "franchise" type guys choosing to come together on a single team.

The Lakers traded for Kareem when they didn't have that much, in Kareem's prime. They did go out and pick up Jamaal Wilkes. But Magic and Worthy were both DRAFTED, and by the time Worthy was drafted Kareem was 35...well out of his prime.

The Celtics had Tiny Archibald when they drafted Bird. They did trade for Parris, but drafted McHale. You could possibly say "Bill Walton", but at the time they brought him in as a past his prime, oft injured, big man to come off the bench you'd be hard pressed to include him. (Just like I'm not including Ray Allen in the conversation with the other four)

I dont care how they got together, those players got together.

Why do people get upset at players CHOOSING to come together instead of in the past where the GMs put them together? I dont understand the problem.

You say good, I say bad. You may enjoy "Greatness" that is really just "purposefully stacked talent", but I prefer seeing a parity and a nice spread of superstars. And in such situations, achieving "greatness" becomes something far more interesting to watch.

no, your problem is that you dont like players controlling their destiny and deciding their futures. I see no problem with it and cant see why its a problem when NBA teams had always done this.

The heat are an abomination, the only people that enjoy players colluding to form super teams are the fans of said team. It's bad for the league, it's bad for competition.

No loyalty to the team that drafted you, and outside of that, there is one basketball to go around for Melo (a ball whore), Lebron and Wade, along with Bosh who is already getting shafted behind Wade and Bron, who would get even more screwed over if Melo were to join. If I were the heat I'd be more interested in getting love then another ball hog. 

Lebron is a great player, shame that his rings will always be questioned with this inter-player collusion.

Magic's Lakers went to the Finals 9 times in 12 years. People really seemed to enjoy that.

That was before the concept of parity took over and proved itself superior. Basketball isn't performance art. I don't tune in for the drama of "how bad will the super team beat these poor ****s?" I didn't watch a single game between the bobcats and heat because its garbage.

• Like 1

The heat are an abomination, the only people that enjoy players colluding to form super teams are the fans of said team. It's bad for the league, it's bad for competition.

No loyalty to the team that drafted you, and outside of that, there is one basketball to go around for Melo (a ball whore), Lebron and Wade, along with Bosh who is already getting shafted behind Wade and Bron, who would get even more screwed over if Melo were to join. If I were the heat I'd be more interested in getting love then another ball hog. 

Lebron is a great player, shame that his rings will always be questioned with this inter-player collusion.

I don't think going to Miami will "shame" his rings.  We have to be fair, he was drafted by Cleveland, he was not given the talent guys like Bird (after his rookie season of course) and Magic were given.  If he were to literally go city to city joining with various stars that'd be one thing.  But he saw an opportunity and took it.  And he took his lumps too, the criticism (deserved) after the 2011 Finals was as bad as I've seen any star player get.

I didn't watch a single game between the bobcats and heat because its garbage.

Yep. When it's that lopsided, who can bring themselves to care?

The NFL and NHL playoffs are so much more entertaining at this point than the NBA playoffs are, at least up until the conference finals when the league's 3-4 really talented teams meet up.

Edited by Bacon