Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Suns got away from pushing in transition too early.  They slowed down with the big lead… and now it’s just nine points.  Might get a decent finish?  Still feels like a easy Suns win, but I’m hoping for fireworks.  

Bucks making it a game then Middleton with two awful turnovers followed by a terrible Giannis turnover. 

That should not be a foul on Giannis. 

Difference in the game: Suns 22-22 from the line. Bucks 6-11. 

• Like 1

Looked to me like the Bucks were just slow last night.  Phoenix's player movement was so good and they were locked in.  They got every loose ball and did the right thing with it and they made all of their good looks from the second quarter on. Bucks didn't even really play that bad, they just got beat by a better team playing at their best.

Ayton has been a revelation.  If Phoenix wins it all, it will put to bed the debate about picking Ayton over Doncic for them.  They'll have made the right choice for their specific team, because he has been one of the missing pieces.  Guarding any dominant front court player without fouling, switching well, making great decisions with the ball, dominating the boards, killing it in the screen and roll game, and making all of his shots.  He's become a much smarter player than I expected, and he is providing perfect big man play to complement an elite back court.

That back court pairing is something else too.  Maestro point guarding and elite shot hunting off guard play.  Good defense from both.  Paul was the capstone to the arch that made their roster make total sense.

Also wanted to say the 6ers are ****ing morons for trading Mikal Bridges.  And that was clear at the time it happened.  They had everything in their grasp to make a power team and they squandered it with bad draft day decisions.  Bridges is so smart and so smooth, he'd make every team in the NBA better.  Also quite impressed with Cam Johnson, that was another great trade for Phoenix.  I liked Jarrett Culver a lot, but Johnson has been better and made the adjustment to the NBA far more quickly, and has proven to be the right fit for Phoenix.

Bucks are still in this though. If I were a fan, I'd still feel good about our chances.  Took Phoenix's best shot, on the road, with an injured Giannis, and still got it close late in the fourth.  Phoenix has a better team, but Giannis was still the best overall player on the floor, even hurt.

It appeared to me last night that a lot of the Bucks loss was mainly on the coaching.  I'm not even an expert strategist at basketball but even I was yelling at my screen after the 5th time Lopez was 1-on-1 with CP3 or Booker.  And then it also happened to Portis.  And those guys got torched, to no fault of their own.  Where the hell was the adjustments by the coaching staff?  Why did they just continue to do the same thing over and over?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It appeared to me last night that a lot of the Bucks loss was mainly on the coaching.  I'm not even an expert strategist at basketball but even I was yelling at my screen after the 5th time Lopez was 1-on-1 with CP3 or Booker.  And then it also happened to Portis.  And those guys got torched, to no fault of their own.  Where the hell was the adjustments by the coaching staff?  Why did they just continue to do the same thing over and over?

They did adjust, it just didn’t make a difference.  They started switching everything, which I’ve always thought is the dumbest way to play defense imaginable in the post season.  It didn’t work because the Suns got to pick their matchups and went to work on on the Bucks bigs.  They changed to having the big drop back against the screen, and got torched that way too.  

Just now, Destino said:

They did adjust, it just didn’t make a difference.  They started switching everything, which I’ve always thought is the dumbest way to play defense imaginable in the post season.  It didn’t work because the Suns got to pick their matchups and went to work on on the Bucks bigs.  They changed to having the big drop back against the screen, and got torched that way too.  

Then do something different.  It doesn't have to be just try 2 things and they both fail and go "oh well we tried that is it!"

Try zone or something.  I don't know I'm not an NBA coach.

If what they keep trying isn't working, you gotta try something different.  And that is why I see it as a huge coaching issue.

PHX earned their spot, MIL got lucky because they are actually better without Giannis. Paul came to ball and Booker would be a beast on any team.  As would Ayton.  I imagine that Crowder will be the next one to get it going. 

Bucks won't win and should not. Suns are just a betterTEAM. 

That was an easy stack for me to bet on. Bucks might get one game. 

Phoenix had a good shooting night.  The drop coverages will work better in the future, there is only so much you can do when a good team full of excellent shooters is locked in.

The bigger problem to me was that Milwaukee looked like their reaction times were too slow, particularly in a series involving championship caliber play from the opponent.  They were very slow to react to the ball and player movement of Phoenix.  Slow on loose balls and, while they didn't get killed by Phoenix's offensive rebounding, every time Ayton got an offensive board he seemed to be a step quicker than them.  Milwaukee's level of hustle wasn't good enough.  There was a sequence late where PJ Tucker was trying to box out Ayton about 12 feet from the basket with just no hope of pulling that off, and Giannis just kind of watched it all happen from the lane.  He should have been chasing that ball.  Then it should have been a swarm to Ayton in a 1 on 2 situation because the rest of Phoenix had gotten back on defense, but he waited and gave Ayton time to make an entry pass to a rim running teammate and I think Giannis had to end up fouling.  There was just a lot of stuff like that last night.  Phoenix is playing at such a high level that a regular level of effort is not going to be championship caliber.

• Like 1

All these trendy NBA city edition jerseys with something across the front that you'd only know about if you were from that area...like "The Valley" for Phoenix.  It'd be cool if they did a DMV one for the Wizards.

I don't understand how you can be an NBA player and air-ball a free throw.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 1

Bucks are doing everything well except getting the ball to actually go in.  They’re getting great shots and missing them.  The Suns are making contested shots. 

Hard to make adjustments for guys missing wide open three or shots at the rim.  

Whenever you see fans at sports arenas, specially the bigger games and those fans closet to courtside (in any sport) they almost always look like they wouldn’t be able to hold a conversation on said teams or sport. Like they are just there for the show aspect of it and don’t care about the actual sport/game itself. 

Edited by dyst

12 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think the same.  I'm 4'10 and can hit one. 

That's actually an advantage. Being shorter makes it easier to get a good arc on the ball. Taller players have a harder time because their natural shooting path to the basket is more flat, which reduces the effective area the ball can go in. This is one big reason Shaq had so many problems with free throws, and "Hack a Shaq" was a thing.

Our Physics classes actually take the students to the gym each year to shoot free throws, and that's one of the things we have the students track, although it's mostly designed to be an exercise to show how vertical and horizontal movement are independent of each other.

It's also an excuse to play basketball in class.

• Like 1