Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

They beat the crap out of the Warriors in Oakland without KL but KD actually playing earlier in the year.  Agree to disagree.

Golden State was sleep walking through the regular season. 

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't care at all about GS, but some of the posts here are absurd. First GS loses Cousins to start the playoffs. Then Durant. Still make the finals. Then Thompson goes down plus a role player in Looney. Effectively they have two healthy players of their starting 5. Cousins can't jump and had one good game but otherwise has been awful. Thompson was great offensively, but defensively he was clearly impacted by the hammy and KD is still out. Of course Toronto has better continuity and of course GS rotations have been a mess. 

Yet there are people here trashing GS cause they don't look good out there as if any team losing that many starters would be flowing seamlessly. Take Gasol and Siakam out for Toronto and hobble Lowry and they would look terrible too. 

Yet, as bad as GS looked, this game came down to FT shooting and 10 careless GS turnovers.   

At the end of the day, a healthy GS team, wins this series easy. 

LOL this sounds like all of us talking about the Redskins the past 2 seasons.

"If this ... If that ... we would be SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!"

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL this sounds like all of us talking about the Redskins the past 2 seasons.

"If this ... If that ... we would be SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!"

No one could have been foolish enough to say that about the Skins. Right?

• Haha 1

Golden State isn't the same team as they were.  Every NBA player admits that the miles of playoff basketball have a year-after-year toll.

But the biggest thing is, Green just isn't a threat from even 10 feet from the basket, much less the 3 point line.  He's still an impactful player on the defensive end and rebounding, but he's hurting their offense.  He also can no longer reliably play the 5 so he's not even the defensive player he was.

If the current version of Green is your 3rd best player, which he is on GS without Durant, you aren't really a championship team.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2

For the last few years, and especially this summer, people have been saying why bother building a team to contend right now, when GS is a freight train. 

Id like to commend the Raptors for going all-in, making a ballsy move to win now, and it working. Injuries always happen. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road because there’s a super team nobody can beat. 

They saw an opportunity, jumped on it, and the injury gods have blessed them with a soon to be championship. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And the most surprising thing of all is that Lowry has been legitimately good.  When he's good, Toronto gets way better.

Lowry's been impressive.  He's not always been able to hit shots, but even when his shot is off, he's been an impact through defense, hustle and in the pick and roll.

I think what you've seen is Lowry is matured.  When your shot is off, it is easy to get down on yourself and let it affect the rest of your game.  He's not doing that this year.

(It also probably helps that when his shot is off, they have another guy that can keep them in the game.)

4 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

For the last few years, and especially this summer, people have been saying why bother building a team to contend right now, when GS is a freight train. 

Id like to commend the Raptors for going all-in, making a ballsy move to win now, and it working. Injuries always happen. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road because there’s a super team nobody can beat. 

They saw an opportunity, jumped on it, and the injury gods have blessed them with a soon to be championship. 

Depends on where you were in the process.  Toronto was essentially a built team.  It didn't really make much sense for them to do anything other than go all in.

They deserve credit, but I also understand where other teams said, let's not make our push this year.

41 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Depends on where you were in the process.  Toronto was essentially a built team.  It didn't really make much sense for them to do anything other than go all in.

They deserve credit, but I also understand where other teams said, let's not make our push this year.

I would agree with this, there are certainly teams that shouldn’t have done it. To pick on Steve, as much as I respect his views, his posts the last few years have suggested everyone forfeit and build for after this dynasty. 

I haven’t gone gone back to read any posts but I remember most folks thought them trading for Kawhi would end up a pointless one year rental. They had just fired their coach. Lowry was old. It was laughable compared to what the Celtics and 76ers and maybe the bucks were supposedly building towards. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I haven’t gone gone back to read any posts but I remember most folks thought them trading for Kawhi would end up a pointless one year rental. They had just fired their coach. Lowry was old. It was laughable compared to what the Celtics and 76ers and maybe the bucks were supposedly building towards. 

Even if it does turn out to be a one year rental, and the board man goes on to get paid elsewhere, a championship ring makes it worth it.  They just have to win one more game. 

It all goes up in flame if they lose the next three though.  Their window closes when this series ends if Kawhi leaves. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Golden State isn't the same team as they were.  Every NBA player admits that the miles of playoff basketball have a year-after-year toll.

But the biggest thing is, Green just isn't a threat from even 10 feet from the basket, much less the 3 point line.  He's still an impactful player on the defensive end and rebounding, but he's hurting their offense.  He also can no longer reliably play the 5 so he's not even the defensive player he was.

If the current version of Green is your 3rd best player, which he is on GS without Durant, you aren't really a championship team.

I am tired of people making a talent excuse for one of the most loaded teams in the history of the league.  It is SUCH a product of recency bias.  I can't believe LKB has the nerve to say I'm the one who can't see past the moment.

Draymond as your third best player is more than good enough to win a championship with.  He's averaging a near triple double and he has been their most effective facilitator in transition offense.  He's doing that plus playing high end defense where he can neutralize Siakim and play highly effective weakside help.  Playing the five isn't what his value hinges on.  He's a dominant defensive player from the four.  Toronto is on the cusp of winning a championship with Kyle Lowry as their third best player.  Draymond is a significantly better player than him.

He's been sensational in this series.  If anything, he's been Golden State's most consistently excellent player.  When Golden State gets any kind of contribution from the five spot, their front court becomes tough to beat.  The problem is they only got decent contribution from the five in game 2, when Cousins played well.

Golden State's problems haven't been about talent, they've been about execution and competitiveness.  They are getting killed by breakdowns defending really basic high ball action and in transition.  Things that even bottom barrel lottery teams full of called up G-Leaguers should be expected to stop.  And on offense they are going back and forth between over-passing and playing tentative to chucking up lousy perimeter shots that are jump-starting Toronto's transition offense.  They've been stubborn in sticking with ineffective line ups and rotation patterns and have failed to make adjustments to their style of play when necessary, especially on defense.  Plus they're having issues on the glass, which were really conspicuous last night.  Toronto totally outworked them and came down with a ton of long rebounds and second chances and over the back fouls on strong box outs, especially in key moments.  Golden State is not fighting for positioning, not fighting for 50/50 balls, and they are not boxing out.

They're playing lousy team basketball.  And this is inexcusable for a two-time defending champion that's had this core together for years.  Toronto is the team full of traded players and free agents who have been slapped together in the past year and a half.  They're the ones playing in the Finals for the first time in the history of their franchise.  But they are rising to the occasion and Golden State is not.  The Warriors are simply not competing at the level that Toronto is and it's the reason they're losing.  Toronto has been the tougher and smarter team.  And I think Golden State's biggest problem has been an organization-wide sense of entitlement that has had a deleterious effect on their competitiveness all year long.  At least six 20+ point losses in Oracle??? They've been playing in ways that would have been unthinkable a season or two ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am tired of people making a talent excuse for one of the most loaded teams in the history of the league.  It is SUCH a product of recency bias.  I can't believe LKB has the nerve to say I'm the one who can't see past the moment.

They're badly injured.  Durant is out.  Boogie can't jump over a pile of loose change.  Klay wouldn't be playing right now if this weren't the finals and said as much in his post game interview.  The talent that makes them one of the most loaded teams in the history of the NBA isn't playing or isn't healthy.

That said, it's still immensely satisfying to watch them get ripped apart by a good Toronto team.  I believe I made several comments during the season that the arrogance the Warriors were exhibiting was tempting fate.  And here we are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Destino said:

They're badly injured.  Durant is out.  Boogie can't jump over a pile of loose change.  Klay wouldn't be playing right now if this weren't the finals and said as much in his post game interview.  The talent that makes them one of the most loaded teams in the history of the NBA isn't playing or isn't healthy.

That said, it's still immensely satisfying to watch them get ripped apart by a good Toronto team.  I believe I made several comments during the season that the arrogance the Warriors were exhibiting was tempting fate.  And here we are. 

Good points in regards to injuries, etc.  If Durant and Klay are healthy, this is most likely a different series....and that's most likely how this series will be remembered.   That being said, Kawhi isn't 100% either.  

I don't get the hate for GSW though.  Yeah, they're probably a little arrogant but when they're clicking it's beautiful basketball to watch.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't get the hate for GSW though.  Yeah, they're probably a little arrogant but when they're clicking it's beautiful basketball to watch.

nobody roots for Goliath

can't imagine him being very effective even if he plays. the basketball fan in me is hoping he does not mess himself up and miss time next year trying to play on something he probably shouldn't

37 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

nobody roots for Goliath

can't imagine him being very effective even if he plays. the basketball fan in me is hoping he does not mess himself up and miss time next year trying to play on something he probably shouldn't

I don't care about next year. He isn’t winning on the knicks anyway. The basketball and drama fan in me wants to see him Willis Reed this thing and bring them back from oblivion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't care about next year. He isn’t winning on the knicks anyway. The basketball and drama fan in me wants to see him Willis Reed this thing and bring them back from oblivion 

That may be one of the most heartbreaking things as a sports fan to watch from another perspective.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That may be one of the most heartbreaking things as a sports fan to watch from another perspective.

regardless of how it turns out, the jokes/memes will be most excellent. thats really all i'm here for at this point

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1