Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

People in Cleveland disrespect Cleveland, nobody likes that city lol.

The only thing worse than the city are the sports teams.

Yup. Well if it's either Parker or Wiggins as the #1 draft pick, say hello to your new home/city.

• Like 1

You are old.

Correct, obviously, but old.

It really fascinates me that nobody has ever tried to learn that shot.

I'm with you, I don't think it can be defended 1 on 1 (unless your Muggsy Bogues trying it against Shaq).  Definitely one the most deadly shots when perfected by player, especially a forward or center.  

The problem with the NBA draft has everything to do with how it controls entry into the labor market. Once players are in the labor market, their moves, salary, etc. are governed by rules their union votes on and contractual terms they agree too. Drafted players are told by a monopoly the one business they are allowed to negotiate with on the terms of their employment.

I don't know I obviously don't get it as your kind words indicated :)

This is still all agreed upon under a CBA which protects it from anti-trust laws that govern businesses. Different but it isn't illegal to me.

It's also not unfair to the players like Joe says, if they essentially agree to the process by pursuing this career path. There are other avenues for professional basketball players if they are unhappy having to be told

You are old.

Correct, obviously, but old.

It really fascinates me that nobody has ever tried to learn that shot.

Hard to be a big man with that much touch I guess. I'd definitely do nothing but work on that shot if I was a big. It would take a lot of work but you'd be unstoppable.

Were those rumors about Rice and Palin true?

Dunno. I think that happened while he was at Michigan though. No one has denied anything yet, I think. So I am more inclined to believe it was true.

I aint mad at 'em. Someone posted a college pic of Sarah Palin and she oozed 80's Sexy

Dunno. I think that happened while he was at Michigan though. No one has denied anything yet, I think. So I am more inclined to believe it was true.

I aint mad at 'em. Someone posted a college pic of Sarah Palin and she oozed 80's Sexy

They did. I looked it up. Think it came out in her book. I think she was a reporter at the time Michigan was playing in The Great Alaskan Shootout. He gets daps. But it would have been a lot more interesting, had they hooked up once she was well known.

Duncan used to shoot a sky hook modeled after Kareem's. I don't know if he does any more, he doesn't score like he used to.

Lots of players have a hook shot repertoire that's impressive. But few players score in high volume off post up moves any more. Blame the relaxation of the illegal defense calls in the early 2000's. It used to be hard to trap the guy posting up. Now you pass it to a post scoring threat in the low or high post and the defense immediately rotates to double him and disrupt his dribble. Post ups have pretty much become decoys designed to pull defenses away from perimeter shooters and slashers. I think you had at least three or four prominent bigs average around 4 APG the past two years.

Good hook shots definitely require touch, and with both hands. But I'd wager most NBA bigs have pretty good finishing touch on hook shots. The hard part is establishing position, getting the ball, and then the footwork to beat the defender and get to the shot. Having it be a dynamic scoring tool at the NBA level would really take an immense amount of work and post scoring instinct. Is the incentive still there to develop the skill to that level? Face up forwards and centers score way more than back to basket scorers in today's game. You could argue that bigs are better off developing a three pointer than a low block back to basket game. Especially because you don't need anywhere near as much strength.

That said, this kid Jahlil Okafor that Duke's getting next year is probably going to get picked #1 and make an assload of money off his remarkable and precocious back to basket game.

Duncan used to shoot a sky hook modeled after Kareem's. I don't know if he does any more, he doesn't score like he used to.

Lots of players have a hook shot repertoire that's impressive. But few players score in high volume off post up moves any more. Blame the relaxation of the illegal defense calls in the early 2000's. It used to be hard to trap the guy posting up. Now you pass it to a post scoring threat in the low or high post and the defense immediately rotates to double him and disrupt his dribble. Post ups have pretty much become decoys designed to pull defenses away from perimeter shooters and slashers. I think you had at least three or four prominent bigs average around 4 APG the past two years.

The thing with Kareem is that it was a base line hook shot, which is different than most other hook shots and makes it hard to double (well really Kareem shot it from everywhere at any time, but he used extensively to the base line).

I think the biggest difference is probably the lower body contact allowed in the post.  It actually takes an incredible amount of balance to hit a hook shot like that and is very hard with somebody leaning on you.

I can make hook shots all day (even base line ones) if I don't have anybody leaning on me.  Put me in a game where you have normal lower body contact, and it becomes a distraction to keep people from properly defending the fade away jumper going the other way.

The nice thing about a good hook shot, at least in pick up games, is if you make a good one early, it gets remembered, and you can have your defender worrying about a shot that in terms of in a game you consider your 2nd option.

Jordan is like Russell. He won six championships in the one of the greatest big men eras in league history with Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley as his bigs. Grant and Rodman were undersized PFs. And Pippen was Pippen, his name basically became synonymous with beta personality side-kick. Solid as they were, I doubt any other player from Jordan's era could have led those Bulls teams to a championship. LeBron sure as hell doesn't win six with them. He's not even going to win six in Miami and his supporting casts are better than Jordan's.

Jordan elevated those Bulls teams to the greatest in league history. Hell, he probably could have won 8 straight championships if he hadn't gotten burned out and retired the first time.

Jordan is the GOAT.

Despite the plethorea of quality good men in that era, I think Jordan was actually very well suited for playing at that time.

There was so much contact allowed in the paint and around the basket that it was hard on big men to score efficiently.

The great pull up jumper was the perfect shot for the era.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

If they draw those lotto balls for all those power balls live on TV, why can't the NBA just hold a live drawing and pick a ball out of one of those machines? Why are the results always shown by card? Why do they have to make a pomp and circumstance of it? 

Put the balls in a machine. Take one out. The winner gets the pick. Less controversy. Instead it's "iced" envelopes allegedly or now these cards that the guy holds up. Just do it like the lotto. 

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1

Goodness. The Spurs are so ****ing good. On a mission.

its their year. No one is beating them this year. They may even sweep out.

Jordan is like Russell. He won six championships in the one of the greatest big men eras in league history with Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley as his bigs. Grant and Rodman were undersized PFs. And Pippen was Pippen, his name basically became synonymous with beta personality side-kick. Solid as they were, I doubt any other player from Jordan's era could have led those Bulls teams to a championship. LeBron sure as hell doesn't win six with them. He's not even going to win six in Miami and his supporting casts are better than Jordan's.

Jordan elevated those Bulls teams to the greatest in league history. Hell, he probably could have won 8 straight championships if he hadn't gotten burned out and retired the first time.

Jordan is the GOAT.

Russell's era had the greatest big men. THats where most of our HOF big men came from.

Jordan's era had a lot of big men, but they were all out west and those teams never built title teams for them.

The only one in the east was Ewing who was not as good as those other guys.

• Like 1

I'm convinced Westbrook and Durant belong on different teams. They don't complement each other at all. Whenever they come down the court it's like you shoot, nah you shoot.

Isn't that the offense OKC runs? Play A: Durant isolation. Play B: Westbrook isolation. Play C: Call a timeout.

• Like 1

I'm convinced Westbrook and Durant belong on different teams. They don't complement each other at all. Whenever they come down the court it's like you shoot, nah you shoot.

they compliment each other.

Its always easy to blame the players and never the coach and GM. They only have 2 starters that can score adn Brooks is a damn gimp.

As great as the Spurs are watch Miami end up somehow taking it.  I seem to remember a few years ago everyone said Thunder were locks to win the Finals and then they got run over by the Heat.

in an alternative universe? The Thunder were never locks to win that series, Miami were favored.

If Indiana beats Miami, the spurs win it going away. Miami actually has a shot against them.

the Pacers match up better with the Spurs than Miami.

This is the Spurs year.

Joe, did you mean "gump" ? That's DC slang.  

Certainly and alternate universe.

I agree the Pacers match up better.

Side note...5 wagers in a row wins...last night I just knew the Thunder wouldn't lose by more than 5... Grumble.