Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

put LBJ on any team (without taking anybody else off the roster) and they are instant contenders/near favorites.

imagine him with wall and beal and nene...  

but they are already a playoff team.

imagine him with love and kevin martin and ricky rubio ...

imagine him with cousins and rudy gay....

imagine him with anthony davis gordon and tyreke evans.... 

that is without even picturing him on a OKC or or teh Spurs or Indiana or the Clips.... 

<<< actually, i just pulled up Utah's roster... they might be the 2008 cavs... which means the worst team in teh league without LBJ/conference champ contenders with him?>>>

put LBJ on any team (without taking anybody else off the roster) and they are instant contenders/near favorites.

imagine him with wall and beal and nene...  

but they are already a playoff team.

imagine him with love and kevin martin and ricky rubio ...

imagine him with cousins and rudy gay....

imagine him with anthony davis gordon and tyreke evans.... 

that is without even picturing him on a OKC or or teh Spurs or Indiana or the Clips.... 

<<< actually, i just pulled up Utah's roster... they might be the 2008 cavs... which means the worst team in teh league without LBJ/conference champ contenders with him?>>>

I know I am about to open a whole can of worms right now...

But I don't think you can say the same about Jordan. Somebody please prove me wrong. PLEASE! I can't beileve I am even saying this.  lol

I listed his weight because to most people, there is something wrong with seeing a physical specimen of LeBron's stature resort to flopping.  Like if it was Shaq, I'd be like "oh please" too.  If it was Spud Webb or Earl Boykins I'd probably not think twice.

I really was more saying that superstars get looked at with more scrutiny.

Now, to be fair, LeBron has actually had some unfair treatment from the officials this year.  They've let him get hammered legitimately on several occasions and let it go.  He's sort of like the Mario Lemieux of basketball, just a complete combination of skills and power.  Lemieux was so dominant on the ice that the refs actually admitted in interviews later that they let other players hassle him and take penalties against him and looked the other way because to even it out.  LeBron is sort of getting to that point but with him I think it is also that he whines so much on the court that they have gotten tired of it a bit.  Same reason why at the end of Sheed's career they would beg him to open his mouth so they could T him up.

That's fine, my point is that it's common knowledge that superstars get looked at with more scrutiny.  If Brooks Laich dives, nobody cares, if Alex Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby dives, it trends on Twitter, it comes with the territory so there's no reason to act like it's some sort of injustice.

I've always looked at it as a mind game. A tactical ace in the hole against very aggressive teams and players. Something to think about. Not picking at you but I think the notion that floppers are basically pussies (who should be publicly shamed) is funny. Thats sort of why I brought up Laimbeer. I might not like it (when on the receiving end [no Hibbert]), but it is something when you can take a guy out of his element because he's concerned that he's going to get called for a charge. Its something that the league can't 100% regulate..... but they can choose whether or not to call it. I can also appreciate the art of selling it.

Stephenson was awful at that aspect of it. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have mentioned it either.......

As for whining about calls, well, thats the league you watch. I don't think I've ever seen a game where someone didnt whine about a call. Pouting, cussing, whatever.... Thats your league, for better or worse

If you cannot choose the destination for which you want to be employed, then it is illegal. I asked you this before, apply it to your life and keep it on the salary of the average American and everyone in this thread would be up in arms. The draft process is very illegal, but is accepted in CBAs.

the players do because it effects there career prospects. Some players legit suck but some are just in bad circumstances.

A player gets taken in the top 5, goes to a dysfunctional franchise. Looks bad because hte franchise is dysfunctional and his value drops. He has to sign deals below his talent level. He goes to the right situation and flourishes, but unfortunately he is now 28-29. This is now the last chance at a big contract.

Then there is other stuff like endorsements, how they are perceived, etc.

At least with our jobs, we can say we chose to go into that work environment. These guys do not have that same option.

rubbish.

It's not illegal. People get relocated to different cities by companies they work for in the real world all the time. It happens, they can either accept it or work for a different company. It doesn't work when you apply it to real life either as you indicated. There is no valid outrage in real life either.

If I apply for a job with IBM but know up front they may send me to Seattle or overseas if needed, I can't complain if that actually happens. I can either accept it becuase the pay is good and I was well aware of this possibility up front or I can seek employment with a different company. But I wouldn't say it was illegal for the business to run that way, that's ridiculous.

I guess we should ban trades in all sports too because what if a player is traded to to a city he doesn't want too live in or a team with a bad coach or supporting players?

You're not making any sense here.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

But I don't think you can say the same about Jordan. Somebody please prove me wrong. PLEASE! I can't beileve I am even saying this.  lol

It was pretty true for Jordan. In his early years, he got some truly terrible Bulls teams into the playoffs....and he wasn't a complete player then.

The 1988 Bulls won a series with 24 year old Jordan, 24 year old Oakley, Raw Rookie Scottie Pippen, Dave Corzine, Sam Vincent, and Rory Sparrow doing the heavy lifting.

It was pretty true for Jordan. In his early years, he got some truly terrible Bulls teams into the playoffs....and he wasn't a complete player then.

The 1988 Bulls won a series with 24 year old Jordan, 24 year old Oakley, Raw Rookie Scottie Pippen, Dave Corzine, Sam Vincent, and Rory Sparrow doing the heavy lifting.

Oh you're going way back lol...

I could only think back to like the second three peat. Like I can't picture Jordan on the Clippers or Bucks winning a championship against the Jazz or Sonic...

It's not illegal. People get relocated to different cities by companies they work for in the real world all the time. It happens, they can either accept it or work for a different company. It doesn't work when you apply it to real life either as you indicated. There is no valid outrage in real life either.

If I apply for a job with IBM but know up front they may send me to Seattle or overseas if needed, I can't complain if that actually happens. I can either accept it becuase the pay is good and I was well aware of this possibility up front or I can seek employment with a different company. But I wouldn't say it was illegal for the business to run that way, that's ridiculous.

I guess we should ban trades in all sports too because what if a player is traded to to a city he doesn't want too live in or a team with a bad coach or supporting players?

You're not making any sense here.

That entire post contains a total lack of understanding of the issues involved, an almost total lack of understanding of labor and contract law, and a ridiculously inaccurate analogy.

JoeWolff hasn't done himself any favors in making his argument, but he's closer to reality than everyone telling him he is wrong.

The problem with the NBA draft has everything to do with how it controls entry into the labor market. Once players are in the labor market, their moves, salary, etc. are governed by rules their union votes on and contractual terms they agree too. Drafted players are told by a monopoly the one business they are allowed to negotiate with on the terms of their employment.

The better analogy is this: Imagine if every doctor left medical school and had to wait for a national hospital association to tell them the one place they would be allowed to work. We would immediately recognize that as problematic.

I'm a little disappointed as a Sixer fan. I really wanted one of the top 2 picks, now we're gonna have to settle and I have a feeling we're gonna end up with Embiid. That's TWO bigs we'll have that have injury issues.

Embiid will go first. And even if he went third, you wouldn't be settling for him. You'd be getting the best talent in the draft.

I'd much rather have Embiid that Parker no matter what team I'm picking for.

I could only think back to like the second three peat. Like I can't picture Jordan on the Clippers or Bucks winning a championship against the Jazz or Sonic...

That wet jumper/fadeaway would work on any team.... I know that. Greatest shot I've ever seen.

That was a very weird period for the league. The bad teams in the late 90s were exceptionally bad. There are very few teams in the league right now that don't have some kind of hope to be good at some point. Even the Bucks have the Greek Freak and the #2 pick. That could be a fun coaching job.

Now compare that to the 1998 Denver Nuggets or Clippers or Warriors. Aside from a completely insane Latrell Sprewell, there is not one real basketball asset on any of those teams. Not one player you would want on your team.

I've always looked at it as a mind game. A tactical ace in the hole against very aggressive teams and players. Something to think about. Not picking at you but I think the notion that floppers are basically pussies (who should be publicly shamed) is funny. Thats sort of why I brought up Laimbeer. I might not like it (when on the receiving end [no Hibbert]), but it is something when you can take a guy out of his element because he's concerned that he's going to get called for a charge. Its something that the league can't 100% regulate..... but they can choose whether or not to call it. I can also appreciate the art of selling it.

Stephenson was awful at that aspect of it. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have mentioned it either.......

As for whining about calls, well, thats the league you watch. I don't think I've ever seen a game where someone didnt whine about a call. Pouting, cussing, whatever.... Thats your league, for better or worse

I agree.  I don't like flopping but as long as the refs are too dumb to figure out when it's blatant, might as well use it.  When Drew Gooden flopped against David West I was laughing and loving it.

And I wasn't trying to say LeBron's the only one who whines, they all whine.  Though some more than others, David West comes to mind.

Edited by Sticksboi05

The better analogy is this: Imagine if every circus clown left a clown college and had to wait for Barnum and Bailey to tell them which traveling circus they would be allowed to work. Would we immediately recognize that as problematic?

Fixed for a better analogy, and the resulting question instead of a statement.   I think the very peculiarity of the profession - throwing a rubber ball through a hoop for the entertainment of others, and the lack of transferability of that skill to any other real world occupation, has to be considered.

• Like 1

He took some pretty trash teams to the playoffs in the 1980s and it was unrealistic to think they'd have a chance in hell against the 76ers and of course Celtics. 

Maybe a peak Larry Bird too, he did take a 29-win team to a 61-win team as a rookie in 1980.

Fixed for a better analogy, and the resulting question instead of a statement. I think the very peculiarity of the profession - throwing a rubber ball through a hoop for the entertainment of others, and the lack of transferability of that skill to any other real world occupation, has to be considered.

I <3 this post.

Fixed for a better analogy, and the resulting question instead of a statement.   I think the very peculiarity of the profession - throwing a rubber ball through a hoop for the entertainment of others, and the lack of transferability of that skill to any other real world occupation, has to be considered.

LOL! You're right. I never thought of it that way.

Jordan is like Russell. He won six championships in the one of the greatest big men eras in league history with Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley as his bigs. Grant and Rodman were undersized PFs. And Pippen was Pippen, his name basically became synonymous with beta personality side-kick. Solid as they were, I doubt any other player from Jordan's era could have led those Bulls teams to a championship. LeBron sure as hell doesn't win six with them. He's not even going to win six in Miami and his supporting casts are better than Jordan's.

Jordan elevated those Bulls teams to the greatest in league history. Hell, he probably could have won 8 straight championships if he hadn't gotten burned out and retired the first time.

Jordan is the GOAT.