Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Some great points there LKB. I won't deny that.

Flip side...Why are Kobe, LeBron, Shaq High School coaches...etc. Not head coaches in the NBA at this point ?

MJ was the same way...he refused to lose. No coach was stopping his potential. No one was going to stop his determination, drive, desire.

That's what I mean man. Think more along the lines of a Wes Welker or Santana Moss, umm.. Steve Smith.  They brought it.

Are you asking why the guys who coached Kobe, Lebron and Shaq not in the NBA?

Well, Kobe's coach was Gregg Downer who is like a modern-day version of Morgan Wooten. He's won a bunch of Pennsylvania State Titles, and - since he is at a private school - is probably making a pretty good living. There are a fair number of top end high school coaches who can make as much money as lower level college coaches through clinics and speaking without the pressure or chaos of the college job. (That coach from Hoop Dreams - Pingatore - is still coaching today. He coached Isiah Thomas in the freaking 70s).

Lebron's high school coach is now the head coach at the University of Akron. He was basically forced into high school coaching following some "racist" remarks he made while coaching Central Michigan. Coaching Lebron gave him a ticket back into the college ranks.

Shaq went to a weird high school in San Antonio. It's a small (for Texas) school that serves basically as the high school for Fort Sam Houston. I'm not sure that school is the launching pad for anyone. In Texas, any coach that wants to go to college pretty much has to coach at the 5A level.

It's pretty hard for any high school coach to get a college job these days though. The college system is pretty much a closed loop now. You almost have to be a graduate assistant, then an assistant, and then a head coach.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

It's funny to me how, no matter who wins the lottery, the same people bleat "Fixed!" 

- Big market city wins? FIXED. 

- Recently relocated franchise wins? FIXED! 

- ****ing Cleveland wins? FIXED!

Is there any team that could win the lottery that would cause the conspiracy nuts to say, "Hmm, I guess it wasn't fixed this year."?

Much like real world conspiracy theorists, many people have pretty much unknowingly talked themselves into a convenient conspiracy on pretty much every level. Ref conspiracy, big market conspiracy, draft conspiracy. It's all a conspiracy. And every conspiracy, just like in the real world, has its "Smoking Gun"

When you are 6'8 250 and a 4x MVP, you are going to get called out more than fairly good players, "get over it". 

Which is pretty much admitting that you are going to overlook it, lol. Aren't you supposed to be a basketball historian? Didn't Bill Laimbeer (everyones precious Bad Boy that would annihilate todays NBA pansies) flop like hell? Why are you listing his size like there is a weight requirement for flopping?  :lol:

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

So explain why the league is so invested in freaking Cleveland. Is it because it is the 18th tv market? Because of the wonderful demographics the city brings? Its flashy image?

Or maybe it's because they saw what that arena looked like when the team was good and are trying their best to make that team good again?

I'm not saying that it's rigged, because you're right, it is "Cleveland". But you have to go, "hmm" when a team wins it 3 out of 4 years after their biggest star leaves. 

Edited by MLSKINS

I'm not saying that it's rigged, because you're right, it is "Cleveland". But you have to go, "hmm" when a team wins it 3 out of 4 years after their biggest star leaves. 

Back to LKB's point - why is the league so invested in Cleveland succeeding after Lebron left?  They need the Cavs to be good at the detriment of helping other franchises?

Back to LKB's point - why is the league so invested in Cleveland succeeding after Lebron left?  They need the Cavs to be good at the detriment of helping other franchises?

Who knows. But back to my point, they had the number one pick all three times they have been in the lottery since Lebron left.

Again, I don't know if it is rigged, but it's too much of a coincidence. 

I'm a little disappointed as a Sixer fan. I really wanted one of the top 2 picks, now we're gonna have to settle and I have a feeling we're gonna end up with Embiid. That's TWO bigs we'll have that have injury issues.

By the way, I apparently really really hate Larry Brown.

I do too.

I really do think he destroyed Darko Millic's career. Not saying he would have been an all time great like Bosh, Melo, or Wade became after him, but not playing for 2 years and being a foreigner really stunted his development.

So explain why the league is so invested in freaking Cleveland. Is it because it is the 18th tv market? Because of the wonderful demographics the city brings? Its flashy image?

its not that the league is intentionally boosting Cleveland. (although some conspiracy theorists are making a case that this is helping them for Lebron leaving)

Its that this terrible franchise keeps picking this high. A team should not have 3 #1 picks in 4 seasons. That is absurd.

It's funny to me how, no matter who wins the lottery, the same people bleat "Fixed!" 

- Big market city wins? FIXED. 

- Recently relocated franchise wins? FIXED! 

- ****ing Cleveland wins? FIXED!

Is there any team that could win the lottery that would cause the conspiracy nuts to say, "Hmm, I guess it wasn't fixed this year."?

This is how the human brain works.   We see patterns, even when they aren't there, and we assume motivations even when they are all just in our heads.

It's either the greatest luck streak ever, or something ain't right.

Like I already said, the last three times they were in the lottery, they came away with the number on pick.

2011, they had the second worst record. 2013, 4th worst. This year, the 9th worst record.

They're are a couple of things I also think something ain't right. Kyrie Irving could leave Cleveland. What better way to keep him, or find a replacement, than giving the Cavs a number 1 pick. Another long shot, and I mean LONG, is that they could want to give the Cavs a number one pick to lure Lebron back to Cleveland. I think a Lebron, Kyrie, Embiid could bring people to "The Q'.

The only saving grace from me screaming conspiracy, is that it's Cleveland. I mean, no disrepect towards the city, but why would the NBA be so press to sell-out games in Cleveland?

But still, you have to at least admit that something weird is going on. It ain't rigged, and it could be a mini-conspiracy, but something is up.  

Exactly.

Someone says, "I like that hat."

And Predicto hears, "San Francisco has the best restaurants in the world."

lZwkldV.gif

It's either the greatest luck streak ever, or something ain't right.

Like I already said, the last three times they were in the lottery, they came away with the number on pick.

2011, they had the second worst record. 2013, 4th worst. This year, the 9th worst record.

They're are a couple of things I also think something ain't right. Kyrie Irving could leave Cleveland. What better way to keep him, or find a replacement, than giving the Cavs a number 1 pick. Another long shot, and I mean LONG, is that they could want to give the Cavs a number one pick to lure Lebron back to Cleveland. I think a Lebron, Kyrie, Embiid could bring people to "The Q'.

The only saving grace from me screaming conspiracy, is that it's Cleveland. I mean, no disrepect towards the city, but why would the NBA be so press to sell-out games in Cleveland?

But still, you have to at least admit that something weird is going on. It ain't rigged, and it could be a mini-conspiracy, but something is up.  

Something weird is going on.   Random chance.  Weird  **** happens sometimes.

These people won the lottery twice - in one day.  Odds of that happening?   1 in 24 trillion.  

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Double-lottery-winners-beat-odds-of-1-in-2711733.php

• Like 2

I said it was a LONG longshot. I'm thinking 99.5% Miami. .4 Cleveland, and .1 somebody else. 

Golden State.   Can you imagine that offense AND defense?    Curry, Thompson, Igoudala, Lebron, Bogut.    They would win 77 games.   

oh god I just had a stroke from over fantasizing

Something weird is going on.   Random chance.  Weird  **** happens sometimes.

These people won the lottery twice - in one day.  Odds of that happening?   1 in 24 trillion.  

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Double-lottery-winners-beat-odds-of-1-in-2711733.php

I understand the odds and whatnot, but the NBA is shady. And they could manipulate results to favor individual teams.

Golden State.   Can you imagine that offense AND defense?    Curry, Thompson, Igoudala, Lebron, Bogut.    They would win 77 games.   

oh god I just had a stroke from over fantasizing

I'll quit. 

Sweet Jesus, will the stupid LBJ/Cle rumors die?

Even if the Heat don't win it all, he's gonna be super motivated for next year.

Ppl actually think he's gonna leave Miami to play with an overrated Kyrie and a rookie? Gimme a damn break

I'm not picking on anyone in this thread btw. I'm just in shock with some of the articles I found on the web

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

People were saying the same thing about Lebron to Miami. 

I remember when he announced he was switching his number from 23 to 6. People were like, "Miami and Chicago has the number 23 retired, so he can be leaving Cleveland to go there." But others were like, "He's not leaving Cleveland."  When Lebron had "The Decision", it proved to me that anything could happen. 

When you are 6'8 250 and a 4x MVP, you are going to get called out more than fairly good players, "get over it". 

Oh I'm completely over the flopping, I'm not the one on here crying about any one particular player and conveniently not mentioning everyone else.

Even if the Heat don't win it all, he's gonna be super motivated for next year.

Ppl actually think he's gonna leave Miami to play with an overrated Kyrie and a rookie? Gimme a damn break

I'm not picking on anyone in this thread btw. I'm just in shock with some of the articles I found on the web

I mean, he theoretically could leave (and I'd appreciate his time and the memories he created here, and he would forever cement himself in my top 3), but Cleveland?

I wouldn't even wish that on anybody. Theres no way he'd choose to go back there unless he was dragged kicking and screaming.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Which is pretty much admitting that you are going to overlook it, lol. Aren't you supposed to be a basketball historian? Didn't Bill Laimbeer (everyones precious Bad Boy that would annihilate todays NBA pansies) flop like hell? Why are you listing his size like there is a weight requirement for flopping?  :lol:

I listed his weight because to most people, there is something wrong with seeing a physical specimen of LeBron's stature resort to flopping.  Like if it was Shaq, I'd be like "oh please" too.  If it was Spud Webb or Earl Boykins I'd probably not think twice.

I really was more saying that superstars get looked at with more scrutiny.

Now, to be fair, LeBron has actually had some unfair treatment from the officials this year.  They've let him get hammered legitimately on several occasions and let it go.  He's sort of like the Mario Lemieux of basketball, just a complete combination of skills and power.  Lemieux was so dominant on the ice that the refs actually admitted in interviews later that they let other players hassle him and take penalties against him and looked the other way because to even it out.  LeBron is sort of getting to that point but with him I think it is also that he whines so much on the court that they have gotten tired of it a bit.  Same reason why at the end of Sheed's career they would beg him to open his mouth so they could T him up.

Oh I'm completely over the flopping, I'm not the one on here crying about any one particular player and conveniently not mentioning everyone else.

That's fine, my point is that it's common knowledge that superstars get looked at with more scrutiny.  If Brooks Laich dives, nobody cares, if Alex Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby dives, it trends on Twitter, it comes with the territory so there's no reason to act like it's some sort of injustice.