Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

So now, there's all this talk of where Jokic is in terms of all-time centers.  But when I look at the center position in the NBA right now, it's him, Embiid, and then a bunch of dudes.  When compared to what other guys had to go against, it's not even close.  Not any depth to spesk of in terms of all-timers. The 3rd best center might even be Porzingis.  Not much in the way of HoF caliber talent to bang and compete against.  Of course he's gonna dominate these people.  

But to be fair, I dont think Jordan had much in the way of competition either and I don't hold that against him.  Probably Drexler and Reggie Miller were the 2nd and 3rd best SG during his career, which isnt impressive to me.

Edited by justice98

This NBA era has been pretty compelling.  Since 2019, there have been 5 different champions.  Only 2 of the NBA Finals participants were returning.  Miami this year and 2020 and Golden State in 2019 and 2022.  Post Lebron and post Warriors dynasty era.

Dominant teams are pretty common in the NBA.  It has been Jordan Bulls, Kobe and Shaq Lakers, Duncan (Manu and Parker) Spurs, Kobe and Pau Lakers, LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat, Curry/Klay/Dray Warriors, Lebron Cavs.  We had the same Finals matchup from 2015 to 2018 (Cavs vs. Warriors).  One could argue.that Boston, Philly or Phoenix have a shot next year as new champions --- I would think Denver is the favorite.

• Like 1

and I am going to stand-by my take on the Jimmy kick out foul near the end of the game.  The leg kick is an issue if you are kicking a stationary defender.  Also an issue if he is unnaturally kicking his leg out.  Butler was moving on the shot, not taking a stationary jump shot or driving into a defender. To me the leg kick appears natural and not exaggerated.  Plus when he gathers, AG closes out into Butler's space. AG was so close that Butler's natural leg kick catches him higher in the ankle area.  Not on the toes. 

I felt JVG and Jackson didn't go into the nuance of the call... normally at least one of them tries to explain what the officials are looking at.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

and I am going to stand-by my take on the Jimmy kick out foul near the end of the game.  The leg kick is an issue if you are kicking a stationary defender.  Also an issue if he is unnaturally kicking his leg out.  Butler was moving on the shot, not taking a stationary jump shot or driving into a defender. To me the leg kick appears natural and not exaggerated.  Plus when he gathers, AG closes out into Butler's space. AG was so close that Butler's natural leg kick catches him higher in the ankle area.  Not on the toes. 

I felt JVG and Jackson didn't go into the nuance of the call... normally at least one of them tries to explain what the officials are looking at.

I agree with this 100%.  On the replay, the way Butler was moving looked natural.  He was moving towards the baseline and his momentum was going to keep him moving, and the way his legs moved were just to compensate for it.  He was basically trying to stop all momentum towards the baseline as he jumped in the air and contorted his body a little bit to do that.  And AG was jumping towards the baseline and he ran into Butler's leg.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

This NBA era has been pretty compelling.  Since 2019, there have been 5 different champions.  Only 2 of the NBA Finals participants were returning.  Miami this year and 2020 and Golden State in 2019 and 2022.  Post Lebron and post Warriors dynasty era.

Dominant teams are pretty common in the NBA.  It has been Jordan Bulls, Kobe and Shaq Lakers, Duncan (Manu and Parker) Spurs, Kobe and Pau Lakers, LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat, Curry/Klay/Dray Warriors, Lebron Cavs.  We had the same Finals matchup from 2015 to 2018 (Cavs vs. Warriors).  One could argue.that Boston, Philly or Phoenix have a shot next year as new champions --- I would think Denver is the favorite.

The NBA is finally starting to achieve some parity. We're seeing traditional mid market/non "hot spot" cities like Milwaukee, Toronto, and now Denver win rings. Its all about having a quality organization that can draft and develop talent. Basically akin to the NFL model.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA is finally starting to achieve some parity. We're seeing traditional mid market/non "hot spot" cities like Milwaukee, Toronto, and now Denver win rings. Its all about having a quality organization that can draft and develop talent. Basically akin to the NFL model.

Good luck with that with the new CBA. You and draft and develop but you won't be able to hold on to more than 2 good players it appears. The rest of the roster will have to be cheap vets and young role players. 

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Good luck with that with the new CBA. You and draft and develop but you won't be able to hold on to more than 2 good players it appears. The rest of the roster will have to be cheap vets and young role players. 

But young role players are about drafting and developing.  That's how you get them.

Also, the new CBA open up the possibility of a team with a few good but not great players winning a championship.  I think with the new CBA there's a better chance of winning with 8 mid-level players vs. a team with 2 superstars and a bunch of scrubs.  (Especially if the NBA will do somethings to curb the superstar calls which I think have gotten better over the last few years.)

Fwiw I'm always in favor of a hard cap competitively in pro leagues (which the NBA does not have)..but also think teams who draft well should not be punished.

I'm not sure how you balance that other than saying own players count less towards a team cap than FAs do. But I recognize neither of those will ever happen. 

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA is finally starting to achieve some parity. We're seeing traditional mid market/non "hot spot" cities like Milwaukee, Toronto, and now Denver win rings. It’s all about having a quality organization that can draft and develop talent. Basically akin to the NFL model.

It’s all about having a legit top 5 player in the world and always has been. 

Also you are forgetting about the Cavs winning in 2016. The Cavs are mid market at best. But LeBron brought his goatness with him and blessed them bums with final appearances. 

The biggest thing Milkwuakee Toronto and Denver have in common is having a legit superstar. Giannis and Joker are top 3.

KL in that playoff run was playing like a top 5 player but then he got lucky KD tore his Achilles and Klay tore his ACL. 

I fully expect every team with a legit superstar to be a contender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

It’s all about having a legit top 5 player in the world and always has been. 

Also you are forgetting about the Cavs winning in 2016. The Cavs are mid market at best. But LeBron brought his goatness with him and blessed them bums with final appearances. 

The biggest thing Milkwuakee Toronto and Denver have in common is having a legit superstar. Giannis and Joker are top 3.

KL in that playoff run was playing like a top 5 player but then he got lucky KD tore his Achilles and Klay tore his ACL. 

I fully expect every team with a legit superstar to be a contender. 

2016 was seven years ago. A lifetime really. 

And while you're right that you still need a legit superstar, look at the type of superstar those three teams have. None of them were highly sought after top picks. Kawhi and Giannis were drafted in the teens and were both developmental prospects. Joker was a 2nd rounder. But the teams that drafted them committed to their development and gotta give credit to Toronto for taking a shot and trading for a guy to take them over the top.

I think you'll see teams take on a different approach to building a winner. More of a commitment to drafting and developing high end talent instead of just trying to tank, free up tons of cap space, and go after 2-3 stars to form a superteam.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

2016 was seven years ago. A lifetime really. 

And while you're right that you still need a legit superstar, look at the type of superstar those three teams have. None of them were highly sought after top picks. Kawhi and Giannis were drafted in the teens and were both developmental prospects. Joker was a 2nd rounder. But the teams that drafted them committed to their development and gotta give credit to Toronto for taking a shot and trading for a guy to take them over the top.

I think you'll see teams take on a different approach to building a winner. More of a commitment to drafting and developing high end talent instead of just trying to tank, free up tons of cap space, and go after 2-3 stars to form a superteam.

Steph Curry was not a lottery pick either. 

20 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Steph Curry was not a lottery pick either. 

Curry was drafted 7th

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Next for what?

I appreciate a player setting an expectation. Beal wouldn't ever set that kind of expectation. 

Interesting take on what is a lottery pick...

Now the lottery includes every team that misses the playoffs, so technically the #14 pick is a lottery pick.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-draft-lottery-explainer

But that's middle of the 1st round, arguably the worst place to be from lottery perspective, and not very useful even if it wasn't acquired via the lottery.

Wizards seem to always land around same spot in draft order last 4-5 years, and even though we drafting higher then we normally do, it's hard in my head to consider 8th a lottery pick.

I hate that it had to be Himmy, I love Jimmy :wub:

Nuggies were the best team in the NBA this season by a wide margin.  And the fact that they're a homegrown squad, built through the draft, makes it so much sweeter.  None of that weak ass superteam bull****. 

Jamal Murray has cemented himself as an NBA megastar. Top 5 PG in the league. 

And to think I was annoyed that embiid got the mvp over Joker.  Well, the finals mvp just poured champagne all over downtown Denver :beavisnbutthead:  

The nuggets dominance throughout the playoffs was nearly historic, only needing 20 of a possible 28 games to win it all.  4-1, 4-2, 4-0, 4-1. Absolute defecation. Denver is the clear cut favorite to win it all again next year as no other team in the west has an answer to what we're doing. 

This is my first championship celebration in over 30 years.  Michael Malone was drunk as hell at the rally :rofl89:

IMG_20230615_142117.thumb.jpg.2497ca33bee0983df5922a07a7f92527.jpg

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

25 game ban for Ja.

Doubt he learns. 

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Mike Dunleavy Jr will be the GM of the Warriors. Damn, I feel old.

The owners son, Kirk Lacob, will be involved as well. But glad they stayed in house with Dunleavy. They're definitely going to have to get creative this off-season. 

Edited by The Evil Genius