Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think it's clear that the Pelicans aren't going to play ball right now. Not sure it's in their best interest, but whatever.

I find it hilarious that some within the Pelican's organization think he will resign if they don't trade him..........when his agent specifically stated they wanted a trade and he would not be resigning with them after next year.  Also, a source close to AD said there were four teams he would sign a long term deal with if traded (Lakers, Bucks, Clippers, Knicks).  

The Celtics aren't even on his list and now Kyrie is acting like he wants out.  Wonder if they are hoping that Danny A. will unload more than the Lakers?  

Saw this comment on a deadspin article about John Wall:

“Damnit, I wish DC could win just one championship for a change!”

*monkey paw curls one finger closed*

Caps win a title... Alex Smith and John Wall promptly explode, and Harper shops for a new team. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Jeanie Buss apparently pushed to draft Lonzo over Fox. Lol  

That's a painful mistake in hindsight, but at the time a lot of draftniks had Lonzo as the 2nd player in the class.

People should have seen Lonzo coming better.  Everyone acknowledged that his shot looked broken and that it could be an issue at the next level, but I guess everyone was hoping he would be Jason Kidd rather than Michael Carter Williams.  Nevermind that he doesn't have Jason Kidd speed, and I have my doubts that Kidd would have been able to star in today's league with his style of play.

Honestly, I think Lonzo's dad's crazy behavior distracted everyone from a normal evaluation of Lonzo.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Honestly, I think Lonzo's dad's crazy behavior distracted everyone from a normal evaluation of Lonzo.

Lavar blew up in an interview yesterday about Luke Walton, LaBron, etc.  Also saying that Lonzo won't play in NO if traded like they can influence any trades :ols:

Also more garbage about all of his sons playing in Phoenix together and winning a championship and how the Lakers turned Lonzo into a loser when he was a winner until going there.

4 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Tobias Harris was a free agent at the end of the year. Clippers get 2 first for him. Simmons Reddick Butler Harris and Embiid is a damn good starting 5. I like this trade for both teams. 

LA also got Shamet who is realistically one of the top 5 rookies in the class (shooting over 40% from the 3 with over 4 attempts a game and has some ability as a ball handler), easily in the future could become a border line All Star, and might even develop into a regular All star.  He struggles on D, but he's done better recently and that isn't uncommon for rookies.

To me, this is a bad trade by the Sixers.  Didn't like the Butler move and like this one even less.  Harris is having a career year, but isn't actually very young, but based on this year he might be a guy that somebody might be willing to hand a max deal.  Do you really want to get into a situation where you have to max Harris?  Or risk that you've really given up 3 1st round picks (and the Miami pick is unprotected) for a rental?

The Sixers have no bench.  If they give Harris a big contract they've don't have the cap to get a bench, and it isn't clear that they have the assets to trade for a bench.  They could have waited a year to see what happens with some other pieces (e.g. Fultz and Smith) before making these trades.

They look like they've panicked.  

Edited by PeterMP

31 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

LA also got Shamet who is realistically one of the top 5 rookies in the class (shooting over 40% from the 3 with over 4 attempts a game and has some ability as a ball handler), easily in the future could become a border line All Star, and might even develop into a regular All star.  He struggles on D, but he's done better recently and that isn't uncommon for rookies.

To me, this is a bad trade by the Sixers.  Didn't like the Butler move and like this one even less.  Harris is having a career year, but isn't actually very young, but based on this year he might be a guy that somebody might be willing to hand a max deal.  Do you really want to get into a situation where you have to max Harris?  Or risk that you've really given up 3 1st round picks (and the Miami pick is unprotected) for a rental?

The Sixers have no bench.  If they give Harris a big contract they've don't have the cap to get a bench, and it isn't clear that they have the assets to trade for a bench.  They could have waited a year to see what happens with some other pieces (e.g. Fultz and Smith) before making these trades.

They look like they've panicked.  

Definitely looks like an all in approach to reach the finals this season and worry about next year later.  I'm not an NBA cap guru by any means, so Peter and @stevemcqueen1 is there anyway next season that the 76ers can retain both Butler and Harris and have some type of decent bench?  

32 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Definitely looks like an all in approach to reach the finals this season and worry about next year later.  I'm not an NBA cap guru by any means, so Peter and @stevemcqueen1 is there anyway next season that the 76ers can retain both Butler and Harris and have some type of decent bench?  

Can they?  Yes, but it will require luck in terms of very good drafting and bargain hunting for vets.  They have a rookie in Bolden that looks like a decent bench piece at the 4 or 5.  Zhaire Smith who was the 16th pick in the draft hasn't played a game yet this year, but if can come back next year and be a plus player.  Fultz comes back as a reasonable NBA player and gives you minutes at guard, and they can add another player as a young guy (they have 2 2nd round picks on a 2 way contracts that they seem pretty high on, they do have their 2019 1st round pick, and more 2nd round picks), a vet playing on a (near) minimum contract, or an exception, they can have a good bench.

If that all works out, that could give you a reasonable 4/5 man bench.  But that's a lot of if's. 

(JJ is a free agent at the end of the year so he'd have to be resigned or replaced so that might take up the exception or Smith or Fultz slide into that role, and they can use an exception to get a bench piece.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

Is it even possible to build a bench and a competitive enough starting five in the NBA these days without VERY good drafting and luck with bargain bin free agents? I would say yes with the caveat that you have to be a team players are willing to take a pay cut to play for. And there is like one of those. But yall are smarter than me here so I wanna know what you think 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

They're going to have to build a bench via trades, draft picks, and bargain free agents.  They've got 70 million dollars in cap commitments, and another 70 million holds.  I would expect them to release the holds on Marjonovich and Mike Scott to free up about 15 million in space.  But after that, there is not a lot they can do to create room without letting Harris, Butler, or Redick walk.  You have to figure that any of those outcomes is unacceptable to them.

The Fultz contract is big enough that they might be able to deal him for a decent bench player.  That'd be a pretty horrific failure, making Fultz one of the worst #1/#1 selections in NBA history.  But he's a sunk cost at this point.

So, best realistic scenario for them is to keep Butler, Harris, Redick, McConnell, and Patton.  Then use their first round pick to get an immediate bench player.  And then trade Fultz for a bench expiring.  That gives them a rotation of:

1: Simmons

2: Redick

3: Butler

4: Harris

5: Embiid

6: X player from Fultz deal

7: McConnell

8: Smith

9: X first rounder

10: Patton

It's a Wizards-esque bench that can't hang with the depth of Toronto or Milwaukee or Boston, but Philly's hope would be to overwhelm those teams with the quality of their top five.

EDIT: Forgot about the MLE.  It depends on what kind of deals Redick, Harris, and Butler sign for, but they might have access to the MLE as a means of adding a good bench player.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Lavar blew up in an interview yesterday about Luke Walton, LaBron, etc.  Also saying that Lonzo won't play in NO if traded like they can influence any trades :ols:

Also more garbage about all of his sons playing in Phoenix together and winning a championship and how the Lakers turned Lonzo into a loser when he was a winner until going there.

He's too arrogant to realize how much he hurts his son's chance for success. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hersh said:

He's too arrogant to realize how much he hurts his son's chance for success. 

Dude is delusional........

Here is a link to the article I read from For The Win:  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/lavar-lonzo-ball-trade-davis-lakers-interview

I get wanting the best for your kids and pushing them to be the best they can be in anything they do and to have a positive attitude, etc.  But damn, he just can't get out of the way when he should.  

From last year I think:  

LOL

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro