Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

It's unfair to use this Finals as a knock on LeBron but man judging by this thread you would think that Scottie Pippen took Michael Jordan on a great ride and not the other way around (which is what actually happened).

I also love how JR Smith didn't go into "okay, settle down you're not that good" JR Smith mode until there were 2 minutes left in the series. That was a slap in the face to the Cavs.

I think Klay wasn't interested in playing last night. It was like he was trying to foul out from the opening whistle.

Lebron is the story because he is the greatest - this is Lebron's generation.

When the games are about a hercules taking on 5 or 6 lesser men in "battle" the herculean man deserves lots of credit. If he went down in 4 or 5 he would be less of the story today.

The focus being on LeBron is 100% justified. What he did was unbelievable. I never thought I'd truly feel bad for the guy but for a 2 minute span last night as he walked off the court in the 4th I was like man, he knows there's nothing he can do. He's trying to win with just a bunch of guys.

When was the last time a generational talent solely led his team to an NBA title though?

There are two rubrics in the NBA - either you have a big 2 or 3 talents and you win the title or you have good talent but a great team.

Rarely does that generational talent lead a team to a title. Jordan had Pippen and, to a lesser degree, Rodman. But minus some clutch shooting from Paxson or Kerr, do the Bulls win all 6? Lebron needed Wade and Bosh in Miami. Bird needed his HOFers and Magic needed his HOFers. It's not a knock on any of those players..it is just what it is.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Magic Johnson:

"Well, he lost so it's not the greatest performance, but Lebron is a special guy."

So csn the MJ vs BRON comparisons stop now, please? !

If you don't respect magic Johnsons opinion....well....I got nothing

Magic is such a bad analyst.

I do seven impressions. One of them is Magic Johnson and every sentence mentions James Worthy (whose name I first name I make two syllables) and ends with the word "Showtime!"

You know what this thread had been missing? Michael Jordan talk.

How many weeks will it be before the team that gives Tristan Thompson his next contract regrets it?

I say seven.

When was the last time a generational talent solely led his team to an NBA title though?

There are two rubrics in the NBA - either you have a big 2 or 3 talents and you win the title or you have good talent but a great team.

Rarely does that generational talent lead a team to a title. Jordan had Pippen and, to a lesser degree, Rodman. But minus some clutch shooting from Paxson or Kerr, do the Bulls win all 6? Lebron needed Wade and Bosh in Miami. Bird needed his HOFers and Magic needed his HOFers. It's not a knock on any of those players..it is just what it is.

Probably Rick Barry in the 70s.

The 70s were odd though.

So Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson suck? Lebron is a top 5 player of all time but he's not Jordan.

I would have enjoyed this series with Kyrie. Kyrie is damn good.

Tristan Thompson is a guy.

The Cavs' guards without Irving are borderline D-leaguers.

Never in my life have I seen a team win a championship and they don't play their best. That's what happened with Golden State. I'm not going to lie, they weren't that good man.

Now, the question is, did they play bad because Cleveland made them play bad, or were they not play well because they were off? Probably a combination of both.

I am still thinking that the Cavs sacrificing defense with offense would have favored the Warriors, but I guess we'll never know.

But as far as this series, I think there are only a handful of teams that could beat the Cavs without Kyrie and Love:

(Clippers (healthy) Rockets (Healthy) Spurs (healthy) Chicago (Healthy) Wizards (healthy) and of course the Warriors.

With Love and Kyrie that list probably stays the same, maybe minus the Wizards and Clippers. 
And anybody blaming Lebron for the Cavs lost is an idiot. Like, they are truly dumb.

Edited by MLSKINS

Klay thompson anwwered Des' question on whether or not he is a star calibre player.

Not ready for primetime yet.

Yeah that fool spent the finals committing stupid fouls and having to sit on the bench. I kept hoping Kerr would leave him in and let him foul out in thirst half just to make a point. Like LKB said, a very disappointing performance in the finals by an allstar.

I just want to hear Predicto's celebration, which I am assuming is an appreciative nod followed by 2 sips of Chardonnay.

I threw a cinderblock through a liquor store window to get that Chardonnay, I'll have you know.  

• Like 2

I actually think LeBron could have led that specific Cleveland team to a ring if he had gotten almost anybody other than Golden State in the Finals.  Saying they were a bunch of scrubs ignores how well all of them except JR Smith played during the series.  They could have beaten Houston or a Clippers team with an injured Chris Paul.  The Clippers had about five playable guys and Houston would have rolled over and died against them.  They might have even beaten San Antonio, but I could have also seen Kawhi Leonard give LeBron problems again, and I could also see Manu and Parker cobbling enough together to let the Spurs machine run it's course.  They definitely could have beaten Portland or Dallas.  I don't know about Memphis though.  They wouldn't have been able to bully Memphis inside.  That would have been a hideous but fascinating series.

Golden State was just the best team this year.  They weren't going to get beat by anybody.

Four different champions in the last five years BTW.  Five since the decade began.  Since the Heat, Lakers, and Mavericks probably aren't competing for another ring any time soon, we're on track for more parity in champions than the 70's.  You might be able to throw the Spurs onto that list too.  I could see eight different teams winning a title this decade.  Maybe four that get their first ever, or three getting their first and two that haven't won one in about 40 years.  I think Cleveland, Oklahoma City or Washington (depending on what Durant does), and New Orleans will win championships in the next five years.

Just saw a Stephen A quote on ESPN.com:

"You all need to thank your heavenly stars in certain respects that the Cleveland Cavaliers lost these NBA Finals, cause had they won, then LeBron would have fulfilled his promise to this city, and then he would have been free to do whatever he wanted to do without having any kind of guilty conscience about it whatsoever.” (via First Take)

Huh?

Stephen A Smith just says ****. I don't think he even knows where he's going to end up once he gets going. Skip Bayless probably responded with "are you kidding me *hot take*. I'll say it right now on this show and challenge you Stephen A *hot take* *something about the spurs* wow *hot take*"

I don't know about a rematch, the Clippers did add the guy everyone keeps telling me is a great talent. Look out western conference.

I think that, if the Clippers are going to win a title, it has to be within the next year or two.  I think CP3 is going to start aging rapidly and he's got about two prime seasons left.

Same for Houston and Dwight.  It's remarkable how much he's fallen off since he first hurt his back.

He got hurt going in the finals. Someone said that Lebron was the only good player on the team and led them to the finals which wasn't true.

Well listen, the current Eastern Conference is the only one where the Cavs could've lost Love and made it through relatively easily. They could've made the Finals without Irving also the East sucks so bad.