Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

What does the future hold for the Warriors?  Are they a powerhouse moving forward?  Did they just catch lightning in a bottle this season?

How good will Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes eventually be?  What do they do with David Lee and Andrew Bogut?  How much money is it going to cost to keep Draymond Green?  How much should they be willing to spend?  How much longer can you expect big time contributions from Andre Iggoudala and Shaun Livingston?

Who has better odds of winning the title next season, them or Cleveland?

Depends on who sticks around for the Cavs. If they have a similar roster, but healthy and with more experience together, they could do some real damage. As it stands, LeBron will be a year older, Kyrie is Mr. Glass and Love may go west. We'll see.

What does the future hold for the Warriors?  Are they a powerhouse moving forward?  Did they just catch lightning in a bottle this season?

How good will Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes eventually be?  What do they do with David Lee and Andrew Bogut?  How much money is it going to cost to keep Draymond Green?  How much should they be willing to spend?  How much longer can you expect big time contributions from Andre Iggoudala and Shaun Livingston?

A lot depends on the other teams in the West as for as GS is concerned. Memphis has to be healthy and get deeper. Does San Antonio make a big move to make another run since they will be relatively rested by next year? The Thunder could be loaded as well if guys stay healthy. They certainly have a real big front line with skill and two potential all-time greats. Not sure there is anyone else unless Anthony Davis gets more help. I don't trust Houston at all.  

Cleveland, if healthy, wins 60-65 games and might be pretty much unstoppable. They will have a strong front court and a better developed bench. Still need a more reliable shooting guard but that matters less if Kyrie is there playing.

Losers shouldn't win the MVP but is has happened once in the NBA.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-06-16/nba-finals-mvp-lebron-james-losing-team-cavaliers-vs-warriors-steph-curry

Looks like Jerry West won it in 1969 while the Lakers lost to the Celtics.

Cowboys Linebacker Chuck Howley won it in 1971 when the Colts beat the Boys. So, it has happened once in the NFL.

Lebron is now 2-4 in NBA Finals.    His legacy is dinged a little:  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/lebron-james-legacy-loser-nba-finals-two-titles-mvp

Edited by Rdskns2000

Depends on how the guys in your next line of questions shake out. If Klay Thompson can take that next step and make the Warriors a legit two star team next year, I think they can withstand the West onslaught and at least make it back. Isn't Draymond a FA? If so, I doubt they'll pay him what he's worth on the open market. Losing him will hurt their defensive versatility, but I don't think it would be a crushing loss, if other guys like Barnes and Thompson improve, even slightly. I'm not sure what you can expect from Iggy next year. Guy is pretty much dead

As for the Cavs, they took one on the chin, but they should feel good they even got two games out of this. If all their guys come back healthy, I expect the East to basically be a Theater of war..... 60+ wins most likely. Don't really see anyone that will be on their level.

Wouldn't shock me if these same two teams are back in the Finals next year.

I wonder if Lebron saying he didn't want the MVP the day before game 6 had anything to do with him not getting it. The media guys who vote, respecting his wishes, didn't want him to have to go through the motions of having to accept the award

Never actually seen it happen before, how would that even work, presenting the MVP to a losing player? Would they ask that he xome.back out on the court? Would they give it to him in the locker room? Either way, that would've sucked for Bron. Maybe they didn't give him MVP out of respect

Never actually seen it happen before, how would that even work, presenting the MVP to a losing player?

Yeah, that definitely would've been weird.

Congrats to GS, and to all ES who cheered them on.

Now...around the world to the left (NASCAR), and what Mark Twain called "a good walk spoiled" (golf) till football season! Actually, there will be a whole lot of History/NatGeo, etc. in there too...

Come on, September! HTTR!

Does anyone know the list of guys who won championships as both a player and head coach?

Phil Jackson

Steve Kerr

Bill Russell

Pat Riley.

I think that's it.

That's rare air as they say.

EDIT: I stand corrected. 13 coaches. http://www.foxsports.com/nba/photos/steve-kerr-phil-jackson-pat-riley-kj-jones-nba-coaches-who-won-title-as-players-too-061715#img_0

Either way it's still pretty impressive.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Regardless of stats, I don't think the MVP should go to a losing team. It just robs the moment for the winning team and that's not right either.

Pick the player from the winning team with the best series. That's all you have to do

Agreed. And honestly, I seriously doubt a player on the losing team would really want the award

I like Cleveland to win a title next year but only if they stay healthy.  With Kyrie that's always a question mark.  Kevin Love has now also had two major injuries in three seasons.

Also, how many years does Lebron have left as the best player in the world?  He's going into his 13th year and this season was likely especially taxing on his legs.  His time as an elite defender appears to be behind him and he's dropped a bunch of weight to ease the strain on his body.  The signs that age is becoming a factor are there but he's been able to still play at an insanely high level.  When does that stop?  I'm not sure he survives another post season where he has to carry as much of the load as he did this year. 

Heard this morning that LeBron has essentially played 2 extra full seasons over his career.  

This link below is just a little humor for some fans. Popped up on my newsfeed a little while ago.

http://www.latintimes.com/pulse/nba-finals-memes-20-funniest-jokes-made-moments-after-golden-state-warriors-won-title-323108

Edited by Kosher Ham

"If they stay healthy".

Well, I don't ever expect Kyrie to play a full year in his career. People say RG3 is always an injury from being done. Same with this guy. Totally different injuries, but look at D. Rose. Think he'll ever be able to play 80 game seasons with playoffs again....and not miss a bunch of time.....probably at the end of the year? I don't.

Love might stick around. I know he basically said he was. He could still hit FA. Some other team could offer him a situation to be the main man...or at least the #2 guy on the team and a lot of money still. So, who knows?

Yeah, the East continues to look weak next year before the draft and FA and any trades. James almost definitely stays in Cleveland. Opting out and leaving again would just be the worst look ever. He'd have to full-on embrace being the bad guy forever if that happened.

I don't think they keep Love. It was a terrible move by Cleveland to get rid of that young talent. Especially Wiggins.

Then you add these older players like Jones, Miller, and Marion ???

They'll figure out a way to do something, I have not a clue what without crushing the cap.

Phil Jackson

Steve Kerr

Bill Russell

Pat Riley.

I think that's it.

That's rare air as they say.

EDIT: I stand corrected. 13 coaches. http://www.foxsports.com/nba/photos/steve-kerr-phil-jackson-pat-riley-kj-jones-nba-coaches-who-won-title-as-players-too-061715#img_0

Either way it's still pretty impressive.

That is a great list.  I knew about Phil Jackson, Bill Russell, KC Jones, and Tommy Heinsohn.  The Boston guys are who I was thinking about when I asked the question.  Didn't know Bill Sharman coached the '72 Lakers though.  I also didn't know Rick Carlisle was on the '86 Celtics.

Russell stands out since he did it as a true player coach his last two seasons.  We'll never see that again.

I wonder how many coaches in the league today could potentially join the list?  I'll look it up.

OK this is the list:

1.) Lionel Hollins

2.) Kevin McHale

3.) Byron Scott

4.) Jason Kidd

5.) Derek Fisher

I like Cleveland to win a title next year but only if they stay healthy.  With Kyrie that's always a question mark.  Kevin Love has now also had two major injuries in three seasons.

Also, how many years does Lebron have left as the best player in the world?  He's going into his 13th year and this season was likely especially taxing on his legs.  His time as an elite defender appears to be behind him and he's dropped a bunch of weight to ease the strain on his body.  The signs that age is becoming a factor are there but he's been able to still play at an insanely high level.  When does that stop?  I'm not sure he survives another post season where he has to carry as much of the load as he did this year. 

Health is definitely a question mark for Irving and Love.  They've never made it through a season, and this was their first taste of the postseason.  I was absolutely certain they would wear down this year, it's kind of a right of passage for newcomers to the playoffs.  Love didn't really get the chance to do that though.  It's frustrating that his team made a run to the Finals and we still don't know what kind of a postseason performer he is.

I assume that Kyrie Irving will get stronger and more durable as he ages and gets used to playing close to 3,000 regular season minutes and another 600+ in the playoffs.  But it is worrying that he hasn't shown any kind of record of durability in any season of his career.  I'll be surprised if he ever has an 82 game season.

As far as LeBron, yes he is aging.  Yes his days of being an impact defender are over.  And his days of winning regular season MVPs are probably over too.  He played 400 less regular season minutes than he did last year with Miami, and that total will probably continue to decline until he's eventually in the 32-33 MPG range to keep him fresher for a big postseason.  He'll compete for rings every season for years from now though.

I think it'll be either Cleveland or OKC that wins it next year.  I think this was OKC's year before Durant got injured.

There is some uncertainty about Cleveland's future.  Mainly, they need to figure out what to do about Love long term.  I think he'll be there next year and they'll be a regular season juggernaut.  But keeping both him and Tristan Thompson is going to be tough.