Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The guys that were over thirty were mostly end of the rotation place holders.

The guys I listed were the leaders in WAR for that team. Are you claiming that the leaders in WAR were end of the rotation players?

If you're arguing that Philly's roster is even younger, then that's an argument that it will take them even longer to become competitive.

So the guys I listed and guys like Earl Boykin (one of the guys over 30) were important to the Wizards making the playoffs.

Here's an alternative history. The Wizards slowed down their rebuild by holding onto old guys for too longs. After doing that, they went young (and bad), but in that process found people that could play going forward (e.g. Wall) and dumped people that couldn't (Vesely).

Then signed some veterans to fill in around the edges.

The Sixers are head because they dumped the veterans when they had value and picked up future pieces. Thaddeus Young is the Sixer equavilent to Butler, etc. The Wizards traded those pieces to Dallas for a bunch of guys that didn't help them win.

The Sixers traded those guys for picks that they can either take or trade for pieces to fill in the edges of roster later.

But it is true that the situation between the Wizards and 76ers is significantly different, because the Wizards got lucky and got Wall near the beginning of the process.  If they hadn't, Ernie Grunfeld would have been fired years ago.  Philly's situation is worse and less stable than Washington's because they don't have a cornerstone player to build around yet.

This is true. And this is Hinkie's biggest issue.

And this is especially going to be an issue if one of the guys drafter after the Sixers becomes a star.

(And I said before the latest report that I wouldn't have taken Embiid at 3.)

The young players you mentioned as assets for Philly will only remain assets for so long.  There was a point when Jordan Crawford and Kevin Seraphin and JaVale McGee and Andray Blatche and Trevor Booker were assets too.  But their value depreciates quickly the more minutes they play for a struggling team.

Which is why the Sixers have quickly dumped guys like MCW.

So I have to admit I haven't watched much basketball in years, but I don't remember it being a full contact sport with fouls every other possession. Is that just how the game is now or is this an aberration?

Edited by s0crates

So I have to admit I haven't watched much basketball in years, but I don't remember it being a full contact sport with fouls every other possession. Is that just how the game is now or is this an aberration?

Physical game. Each team is trying to establish itself as a the toughest and intimidate the other. Once people start to get in foul trouble and get tired, space will open up.

• Like 1

Physical game. Each team is trying to establish itself as a the toughest and intimidate the other. Once people start to get in foul trouble and get tired, space will open up.

I think I liked it better when it was a finesse game, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Get off my lawn!

Edited by s0crates