Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Unless there was a sense that Mozgov was out of gas, and they were resting him for game 6, I really don't understand the Cavs strategy.  There is no way he's not one of your top 4 players in this series.  To play one of your top 4 players so little is incompetent.

I don't understand why the Cavs tried to go small. Their only advantage in this series other than Lebron has been that the Warriors have been unable to handle their size. They went small and suddenly they had no real pick n roll threat with Lebron and the Warriors could attack the rim. They kept it close most of the game but they couldn't slow the pace and it just became a waiting game for one team to start hitting shots, and that favors the Warriors.

Thus series ends tomorrow. Lebron is 2-4 in finals, yet Lebron will get move conversation on sports radio Wednesday than the Warriors.

Like I said weeks ago, Irving going down was the absolute BEST thing that could've happened to James. If he loses, it's "well he was all alone, his team sucks." But if Bron somehow wins in u, it's "Lebron is the goat, he carried his team."

As he said it himself, Lebron is the best player in the world.

But if he loses, the sports world will probably apologize and pity Lebron more than they congratulate the Warriors

• Like 1

Thus series ends tomorrow. Lebron is 2-4 in finals, yet Lebron will get move conversation on sports radio Wednesday than the Warriors.

Like I said weeks ago, Irving going down was the absolute BEST thing that could've happened to James. If he loses, it's "well he was all alone, his team sucks." But if Bron somehow wins in u, it's "Lebron is the goat, he carried his team."

As he said it himself, Lebron is the best player in the world.

But if he loses, the sports world will probably apologize and pity Lebron more than they congratulate the Warriors

Lebron gets more hate than he deserves, not love

Hammer is from Oaktown.

Makes sense he would at the game.

Lebron gets more hate than he deserves, not love

Agreed. However the ESPN/ABC love for him is ridiculous.

His team loses to the MVP of the league this year and the first thing they mention is how he had another triple double  and not that he lost..or that he is jacking up 35 shots (many of them bad because he's controlling the ball for 15+ seconds per possession) a game at a 39% success clip.

Maybe they should focus of Curry or Iggy or someone else first and then focus on James..especially during double digit losses. 

Also..I know Van Gundy has a hardon for James but the idea that James is not getting the calls (which is mostly correct) is stupid to me because Lebron initiates much more contact 99% of the time to create separation and that is never called. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

I have no love for LeBron but to even be in a game 6 with this Cavs team is pretty great. Remove LeBron and the current Cavs lineup is top 3 in the lottery.

Nah. I think with those two first rounders and Kyrie. They could have been a 7th or 8th seed in the east. Maybe not. There would be no James or Love and expectations, playing style would have been different. 

Wiggins was still rookie of the year. No idea what Bennett would have done. He seems to not be trending well. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Everyone is giving this series to the warriors already. I think they have to bring everything they have for game six because I certainly wouldn't place money on them winning a game seven. The warriors haven't dominated at all this series, the Cavs have more than proven they belong on the same floor. In a game seven, Lebron could go into that terminator mode we've seen before. Remember while his numbers have been good his efficiency hasn't, in a game seven he could suddenly shoot 65% (which we've seen him do before) and take home the prize.

Everyone is giving this series to the warriors already. I think they have to bring everything they have for game six because I certainly wouldn't place money on them winning a game seven. The warriors haven't dominated at all this series, the Cavs have more than proven they belong on the same floor. In a game seven, Lebron could go into that terminator mode we've seen before. Remember while his numbers have been good his efficiency hasn't, in a game seven he could suddenly shoot 65% (which we've seen him do before) and take home the prize.

I agree. I don't think the Warriors want to have to play in a Game 7. They need to make sure they finish off the Cavs before they get any momentum back.

• Like 1

I dunno. I just like watching team game with multple strategies better than individual game, regardless of Curry's insane ranged shot percentage and ball skills. If he was taking those shots at the end of the playclock instead of at the beginning, I would feel much differently. This debate isnt much unlike the discussion here in the tailgate about modern tennis. The raquet technology and athleticism of the a few players have made matches into 4 hour slug fests, which can be both very entertaining and boring. Depends which way you look at it.

You think these finals are representative of the entire season?  The Warriors  led the NBA in assists by a good margin.   They are a tremendous passing team.

However, to their credit, Cleveland has done a good job of taking the Warriors out of their game.  This is because Love and Irving aren't there, and bioth of those guys are lousy defenders (but all-league offensive players).  The Cleveland backups are much better defensively and it shows at that end of the court.  

The Warriors didn't win 67 games by just heaving up solo three pointers all game.

I don't understand why the Cavs tried to go small. Their only advantage in this series other than Lebron has been that the Warriors have been unable to handle their size. They went small and suddenly they had no real pick n roll threat with Lebron and the Warriors could attack the rim. They kept it close most of the game but they couldn't slow the pace and it just became a waiting game for one team to start hitting shots, and that favors the Warriors.

Opposite view - they went small and managed to be within 2 points late in the 4th.

The game before they went big, Mozgov got his, and they got beaten much more decisively.

• Like 1

The series isn't over, but it definitely feels like it turned in game four.  Prior to that it felt like a toss up.  But once the Warriors weathered the initial blow, stopped playing Bogut, and Cleveland started looking worn out, they've pretty much been in control.  They played their game in three and four instead of playing Cleveland's, and I'm having a hard time coming up with how the Cavs can counter.  Dellavedova was giving Curry trouble in game two and for the first two and a half quarters of game three, but Curry has figured something out and he's torching him now.

LeBron will continue to put up huge numbers in volume, but he's not going to shoot anywhere close to 65%.  His poor shooting percentages aren't a product of cold shooting.  They're a product of poor shot selection.  Nobody short of prime Larry Bird would shoot well with the kind of looks LeBron has taken this series.  It's the nature of the Cavs offense right now.

Opposite view - they went small and managed to be within 2 points late in the 4th.

The game before they went big, Mozgov got his, and they got beaten much more decisively.

Those margins were about LeBron's offensive performance in each game, not their decision to play or sit Mozgov.  LeBron was gassed and didn't shoot well at all in game four.  He shot well throughout most of the game last night, making some ridiculous threes late and a big diet of turn around fades.  And Shumpert and JR Smith knocked down a bunch of threes too.  Those guys are already playing big minutes when Mozgov plays.

The absence of Mozgov made a difference defensively too.  The Warriors didn't play Lee much and got to use their ideal three guard or three small forward line ups almost the whole game.  The lack of size inside also let Harrison Barnes go off IMO, whereas he had been struggling in several of the previous games.  And Mozgov at the five means Draymond Green either fouls out or sits the bench a lot more.  He played with four and five fouls for a long time and continued to make an impact.

Mike Malone, new coach of my Nuggets. Strange turn of events....wow.

Nuggets are known for running here in the mile high, Denver led the nba in scoring two years in a row under George Karl.

Malone is known for being a halfcourt defensive guy. What the ****.

Edited by Chew

Mike Malone, new coach of my Nuggets. Strange turn of events....wow.

Nuggets are known for running here in the mile high, Denver led the nba in scoring two years in a row under George Karl.

Malone is known for being a halfcourt defensive guy. What the ****.

He's an excellent  coach, and got a really bad deal in Sacto.   It's a good hire.  I'm surprised that it happened, given that Pete Del'Assandrio is at Denver nw.  

They've gone big every game in the series and the end result was a 2-2 split with only one lopsided loss.  That loss seemed more about the Cavs not being ready for the Warriors sending two at Lebron.  They went small yesterday and couldn't slow the game down and for the second straight game, ran out of gas late.  They couldn't get anyone on the Warriors in foul trouble other than Klay, and only because he has moments of stupidity. 

The Cavs only shot is to impose who they are on the Warriors, because they don't have the horses to try to go small and copy the Warriors.  They need to stick to what got them to the finals, which is trying to bully teams and dominating the boards. 

They don't have the horses to try to go small and copy the Warriors.  They need to stick to what got them to the finals, which is trying to bully teams and dominating the boards. 

The problem with this is that they don't have the guns to do this either, because it takes too much out of LeBron over the course of the and forces him to take too many low percentage shots.  Cleveland has been running dozens of isos for LeBron, with three Cleveland guys way out on the three point line and only Tristan Thompson anywhere near the basket.   LeBron drives in over and over, and the outside Warriors stay with the shooters, but the Warrior guarding Thompson often comes over for a late double.   Those shots are very, very hard to make on a regular basis, even for LeBron, and after 40 minutes he is totally gassed.  

If everyone tries to crash the boards but they don't get the bounce, the Dubs will be able to get out and run.  Above all, Cleveland does not want that to happen.   So its only LeBron and Thompson near the basket 80 percent of the time.  

The one big advantage to that primitive offense is that Thompson is well set up for offensive rebounds, with no one there to box him out.  That's why his rebounding numbers are so inflated.   Not because Thompson is that great, but because LeBron is so great that you have to bring that late help and leave Thompson free on the glass.   Problem is, often the rebound goes elsewhere, and then its another bad possession.   As the game goes on, and LeBron and Thompson get more and more tired, LeBron's percentages get worse and worse and Thompson gets less and less offensive rebounds.  

I don't know what the answer is for Cleveland.  There may not be one.   I do know this - Tristan Thompson is going to get overpaid after these playoffs.  He is getting all of these boards because of the iso offense and the threat of LeBron, and he's not going to be anywhere this good in a normal offense.  

Edited by Predicto

Two things

1 - They were crashing the boards in games 1-4 and the Warriors never got out and ran because of it.  The opposite is true, Ceveland had the games moving as slowly as possible... something that is really only possible by going big.  I can't recall a team that's gone small to grind the game to a snails pace.  Slow and plodding is a big mans art form.  Golden state didn't really pick up the pace until game 5 when Cleveland started trying to speed things up.  The tried to speed things up even more in game 6. 

2 - Thompson has ranked in the top 5 of offensive rebounding in the league for 3 years.  Lebron is helping him get more, but he's been one of the leagues best at that very specific skill since before Lebron arrived.  He's going to be over paid, that much I agree with.  I think he's going to be over paid by Cleveland though. 

In other news, the 76ers are doomed. 

Could Embiid sit out another season? It's possible

76ers center Joel Embiid may not be available to play at the start of the NBA season after the latest setback in the healing of his right foot, an NBA source said Sunday. There's also a legitimate chance that the 7-footer could miss the entire season.

Another source, an Eastern Conference executive, said Sunday that the 76ers' rebuilding plan is doomed if Embiid is unable to remain healthy or play at a high level.

"He was their guy," said the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "They were hoping he was a franchise player. If he's not a franchise player, their whole plan is gone. . . . If Embiid can't play or if he can't reach a superstar level, their plan is really in trouble."

The team announced Saturday night that Embiid has had a setback in his recuperation. The first-round pick from Kansas missed what would have been his rookie season after undergoing surgery last June to repair a stress fracture in the navicular bone in his right foot.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150615_Could_Embiid_sit_out_another_season__It_s_possible.html