Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Having a 34/35 year old, post-Achilles Durant under contract at $44M a year isn’t exactly ideal.  Wouldn’t be shocked if there’s some trepidation on Golden State’s part. 

They're in the same boat as Houston.  The back end of these deals don't matter because their franchise player is a 2009 draftee, their core is heading into third or fourth contracts and they're capped out, and their window of contention is right now.

When Curry and Durant hit 34-35, their run will be over and they're going to have to rebuild.  But before they reach that point, they'll have like three seasons of strong championship runs in them to the point where they can probably win another ring or two, so it doesn't make sense to tear it down.  Keeping Durant in order to do that is a no-brainer IMO.  I also think keeping Cousins is a no-brainer for them, but they can't pay him that much.  A team with cap space who wants him can easily double Golden State's offer without taking on too much risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

I don't know how their season will go, but I think the Pelicans might have one of the top defenses in the league next year. 

Well any team with my boy Jason Smith on it has a chance to be great, but my instinct is that they're still going to be a little too young to play truly great defense.  They've got some guys with really high potential on defense though.

I think the top ten defenses are going to be, in order:

1 - Utah

2 - Milwaukee

3 - Indiana

4 - Orlando

5 - Oklahoma City

6 - Toronto

7 - Miami

8 - Boston

9 - Philly

10 - LAC

Feels like that Mike Conley trade has gone under the radar a bit, but I think he might be the missing piece that gets Utah to contend in a season where Golden State will be in hybernation.

If both teams stay healthy and intact, I like a Utah vs Milwaukee final.

If they aren't going to max Durant, they might as well start rebuilding now.

They should also just let Klay walk then and look to trade Curry and Green.

Yes, the back end of the contract is likely to be very bad, but it is also the only way they can likely really compete for a title in the next 3 years or so.

Letting him leave doesn't allow them to bring in other good players really.  They'll still be well over the cap.  It is either pay him or run essentially the same team out there without him.  Even if he's 80% of what he was (which I think is unlikely), they are clearly a much better team with him than without him.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're in the same boat as Houston.  The back end of these deals don't matter because their franchise player is a 2009 draftee, their core is heading into third or fourth contracts and they're capped out, and their window of contention is right now.

When Curry and Durant hit 34-35, their run will be over and they're going to have to rebuild.  But before they reach that point, they'll have like three seasons of strong championship runs in them to the point where they can probably win another ring or two, so it doesn't make sense to tear it down.  Keeping Durant in order to do that is a no-brainer IMO.  I also think keeping Cousins is a no-brainer for them, but they can't pay him that much.  A team with cap space who wants him can easily double Golden State's offer without taking on too much risk.

Agreed.  If GS offers the Supermax, they’re basically coughing up 220M for seasons 2&3 of the deal.

Thats a BIG bite...

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Agreed.  If GS offers the Supermax, they’re basically coughing up 220M for seasons 2&3 of the deal.

Thats a BIG bite... 

He makes you money though.  I think you pay that price as a cost of doing business and still expect to make a big net gain.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think the top ten defenses are going to be, in order:

If both teams stay healthy and intact, I like a Utah vs Milwaukee final.

I was about to get on you for not having GS in the top ten, but I realized two of their best three defenders are out for the year...

As for the second statement... The NBA is praying that doesn't come true.

Dubs aren't hurting for money though. They consistently have been top 5 money earning teams during their run (and playing those extra home playoff games just added extra this year).

Not to mention they will be making $ hand over fist at the new Chase Center this year.

There was a Forbes article last year (Sept 2018)  that speculated between the new Center and the newer regional TV/marketing deal that the Dubs could afford close to $300 mil in salary and taxes a year and still break even.

Edit here's the article.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmurray/2018/09/17/can-the-golden-state-warriors-afford-a-300m-payroll/

Edited by The Evil Genius

29 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I think it's a good fit with Stevens.  It's not going to be easy for them to replace Horford though.

58 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I was about to get on you for not having GS in the top ten, but I realized two of their best three defenders are out for the year...

As for the second statement... The NBA is praying that doesn't come true. 

Eh, Giannis is the most marketable personality in the game IMO.  He's one of the few super duper stars in the sport that I admire and enjoy without reservation.  I'll watch any series with him in it.

I don't love that Utah fanbase, but I actually kind of like that team.  I would 1000% rather watch them play than someone like Houston or OKC.  I'm hoping it's either Utah or Denver that makes the Finals.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He is one of the most effortless scorers in nba history and He’s an incredible shooter. I don’t think an Achilles is going to slow him down much since he doesn’t rely on crazy athleticism  

Every other guy not named Dominque, athletic game or otherwise, has been compromised.  History is not in his favor.  And on the wrong side of 30.  There better be all kinds of flexibility and protections in that deal.

He may be better than most, and he can stand out there and shoot 3s all day, but if I'm paying him the max to be THE guy, I at least wanna see what he looks like first coming off the injury, or how the rehab is going. 

The whole sign and trade idea involving GS makes the most sense, but some new team signing him this year banking on an immediate return to his old self seems like a gamble and a half.  They might not even be throwing away one year, it might be 2.  One to rehab, one to get back to form.  

21 hours ago, StillUnknown said:
We're probably less than 5yrs away from a woman getting a head coaching job in the NBA. Hammon is the most likely, but more women are being added to coaching staffs around the league.

Good.  There's obviously a lack of coaching talent at the moment, consider guys are still getting hired despite being described as "not an Xs and Os kind of coach."  Like it's reasonable for a person to rise to the highest position possible in coaching and not be able to draw up a damn play. 

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

Good.  There's obviously a lack of coaching talent at the moment, consider guys are still getting hired despite being described as "not an Xs and Os kind of coach."  Like it's reasonable for a person to rise to the highest position possible in coaching and not be able to draw up a damn play. 

Highly ironic you're posting this on a Redskins focused message board.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Thats a BIG bite...

They are going to be swimming in money for the next three or four years once the new arena opens as long as they still have the core of this run to keep the dot-com zillionaires entertained. Year 2 and Year 3 of Durant with hope for a title will pay massive dividends.

Signing him to supermax is a great business decision.

Besides, it's rarely the conracts to the Durants of the world that cripple you. It's the maxed out Joakim Noah's that crush you. (That is why Draymond is such a wild card. A washed up Durant will still be able to get you 20 a night just on shooting and length. The second Draymond hits a wall, he's going to be borderline unplayable).

22 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

We're probably less than 5yrs away from a woman getting a head coaching job in the NBA. Hammon is the most likely, but more women are being added to coaching staffs around the league.

The Woke NBA is the place to do this obvious thing. Some dudes may be uncomfortable at first, but there is a player hierarchy and word shall pass down from Lebron through Steph that if you say something dumb, Draymond has orders to stab you.

In the NFL, Richie Incognito will get signed the same day a woman is hired and immediately nickname her Tits McGhee.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Memphis could end up being sneaky good too. 

Too bad they fire their HC like every 5 mins. Hate to trust organizations lke this. 2 years from now, the Pels will be mid aughts Pistons like in their defensive capability

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kyrie has to be the one to go to the Lakers right?  He needs LeBron to save his career again and get that Q rating back up.

That would be Cruz campaign calling for Trump level ball snipping / tail between his legs if Kyrie rejoins LeBron.  I don't think he's humble enough to do that, even after flaming out in Boston.  He'd have concede the world is round in the same press conference if he does.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27076486/sources-kawhi-requests-magic-buss-meeting

Kawhi Leonard will speak to the Los Angeles Lakers in the next few days and has made a personal request that only owner Jeanie Buss and Magic Johnson, the team's former president of basketball operations, be involved in the meeting, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Johnson told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne on Friday that he will help the Lakers in free agency in any way he can, but he said NBA rules do not permit him to be part of official team meetings with prospective free agents.

"A friend of mine called and says Kawhi wants to meet with you," Johnson told ESPN. "I said no problem. I'm available if that's what this man wants."

• Sad 1