Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yall reading too much into this. All owners means is that he owns the team. The club, that's it. Don't try to read too much into it. 

The only people reading too much into it are the people up in arms about the change. It's not hugely significant compared to other issues in our society but it's a simple quick change that's a small gesture toward those that have been marginalized. I mean it wasn't 15 years ago that the NBA had to implement a mandatory dress policy because largely white viewers and sponsors didn't like black players dressing like "thugs".

This doesn't impact you or anybody else except when you choose to make a big deal about it. We can accept and move on or argue about it's merits and bring it into focus for weeks on end. 

If it doesn't matter to you and is so insignificant then move on and leave it alone. It's so meaningless that you just can't help bashing it and lamenting the slippery slope our PC world is headed down. This is an example (a small one, admittedly) of why people say race relations haven't improved. Any inch or gesture given to a minority no matter how small is met with "well why do THEY need this??" 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Agree. If its no big deal and doesn't matter then shut the **** up about it and move on to the next thing. 

I think its a silly change, personally. Along the lines of the NAACP burying the N word. And I show that by this being the only post ima make about it. 

If It's not a big deal then why change it? I'll tell you what, they're changing it because a few people got upset over it. Even though the guy who brought the team is technically the owner according to the ****ing dictionary. 

What's wrong with the word owner? 

Edited by ixcuincle

19 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

If It's not a big deal then why change it? I'll tell you what, they're changing it because a few people got upset over it. Even though the guy who brought the team is technically the owner according to the ****ing dictionary. 

Does your employer own you?

50 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yall reading too much into this. All owners means is that he owns the team. The club, that's it. Don't try to read too much into it. 

I don't disagree with that

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

" I don't deny that being an owner of other people has bad connotations, but...that was a long time ago. A long long time ago. The term owner has largely lost any type of slavery connotation.

vehemently ****ing disagree with this

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

If It's not a big deal then why change it?

Because the NBA is trying to be a bit more forward thinking than we are used to seeing from sports leagues. Given the player makeup in the NBA, the context of the way black players have been treated in the NBA as well as the context of our own country's history, it's not hard see why they might want to take this small gesture to remove any potentially or actually offensive connotations from their environment. 

32 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Nothing at a base level. But unfortunately, the world doesn't work like that. Context matters. There is nuance to words and situations and specific environments that we can be sensitive to. 

"I am the owner of a sofa." Ok there isn't really additional context there.

"I am the owner of an NBA team." The context is that this NBA team that I OWN is 98% black players.

They are not the same thing

I'll be honest, this didn't really occur to me until I heard this story. But having heard it and thought about it,  yeah, I can see their point and why they might want to try to move away from this type of connotation. 

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

technically yes

wow ok. nevermind lol. Not continuing this. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I mean it wasn't 15 years ago that the NBA had to implement a mandatory dress policy because largely white viewers and sponsors didn't like black players dressing like "thugs".

One of the best decisions they ever made, even if you disagree with their reasoning.  The fashion runway show the nba has turned into is far superior for the leagues image.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

One of the best decisions they ever made, even if you disagree with their reasoning.  The fashion runway show the nba has turned into is far superior for the leagues image.  

I don't disagree that it's a better end result but it shows the failure in their initial logic that these so called thugs took that dress code and turned themselves into fashion icons. 

40 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Does your employer own you?

I’m self employed so, maybe.  I do own my business though.  I do not “govern” it or simply manage it.  I can sell it or close it up whenever I choose.  

Which raises a question about nba teams and ownership.  Just how much power do they have?  Can the own of the Blazers just decide to leave the nba and join the euro league if he wanted?  Can he shut it down and end operations?  I don’t know.  

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't disagree that it's a better end result but it shows the failure in their initial logic that these so called thugs took that dress code and turned themselves into fashion icons. 

They were rich successful men, not thugs.  Most of them anyway, I’m sure some shady characters have been in the league too.  But let’s be honest, they were showing up to work not looking as good as a person of their station in life should.  And they do represent the league.  

Speaking of which someone should tell Mark Cuban to stop showing up to games in T-shirts.  He represents the league too.  

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Im curious how in the hell PG is an MVP finalist after his bad second half.

I'm curious how they haven't announced who the MVP is yet.  The ****s the holdup?  A couple of days ago I was wondering if I missed the announcement and found out they haven't said it yet.

Personally, I don't care what they call the "owners" but this reaction to that word makes the players look ignorant.

They own the legal entity and the right to certain players, how does that get misconstrued with the owning of people as slaves.

The world has gone stupid.

• Like 2

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm curious how they haven't announced who the MVP is yet.  The ****s the holdup?  A couple of days ago I was wondering if I missed the announcement and found out they haven't said it yet.

They changed it a few years ago to a lame, NFL like awards ceremony in late June, where all the individual awards are announced.

And it sucks. Ass

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA does a lot of things right but having the award show this late is ridiculous.

They are trying to be a year round league like the NFL, that's what it feels like stretching everything out and overemphasizing things more.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Personally, I don't care what they call the "owners" but this reaction to that word makes the players look ignorant.

They own the legal entity and the right to certain players, how does that get misconstrued with the owning of people as slaves.

The world has gone stupid.

i mean this is what i'm trying to say here 

I think this semantic battle over the word owner is kind of strange.  Putting a taboo on an otherwise innocuous word is going to be alienating to some degree.  But the NBA owners can call themselves whatever they want, who really cares?  To me change is but an opportunity for creative expression.  I would like to see Ted Leonsis begin styling himself as High Warlock, or perhaps Sorcerer Supreme.  I can think of some good titles for Vivek Ranadive too.

• Like 2