Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't and didn't expect Durant to leave. 

I just can't see anyone else trying to acquire him and paying him, for an entire year. Taking the cap hit doesn't make sense. 

Unless. He signs a one year deal elsewhere. Then he is a free agent all over. 

Nobody would sign him to a one year deal so he can recover on their dime and bounce.

It makes sense for teams to still give him the max contract and they can and just eat that first year. You're still getting a top 20 all time player with several top quality years left when he gets back. 

If im the knicks or the nets...thats worth it to me. When have I or am I ever getting a player as great as KD? Suck up the first year and enjoy the rest of the contract 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I don't and didn't expect Durant to leave. 

I just can't see anyone else trying to acquire him and paying him, for an entire year. Taking the cap hit doesn't make sense. 

Unless. He signs a one year deal elsewhere. Then he is a free agent all over. 

There are a couple of places he could go.

The Knicks would probably give him a max deal and be willing to give up a year because they don't really have any other good choice.  There are very limited possibilities for the Knicks to be good next year anyway.  It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to sign him, sit him, be bad and go into 2020 with a high draft pick and lots of cap space.

That would make them a prime landing spot for any of the 2020 FAs, but also an attractive place for people that have just decided they want to move on from the team they were on and their pick would offer attractive compensation for teams.

If Leonard leaves Toronto, they could do something similar.  They'd have to move some pieces (Gasol and Lowry and maybe you could trade Ibaka).

But they could likely get to a point where they could give Durant a (near) max contract, not be very good next year, get a good draft pick and come back in 2 years with Sikiam, some of their other bench players they have now, Durant, and room for another max or near max deal (with a good pick to trade for a player or just to add a good young player).

If Durant doesn't stay in GS, that could actually make it interesting for a team like the Wizards to hold onto Beal.

If the Knicks get the 2nd pick in next years draft and are able to sign Durant this year, would they trade you that pick for Beal in hopes of putting together a championship team?

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Im gonna miss smug Golden St

Think this was the last of that. They really thought this dude, after hearing all that "We dont need you" **** all year and coming back only to just wreck his whole future, was gonna come back because they said so?

3 titles in 5 years and are going to be in better shape than when LeBron and desolated Miami. I’m still smug. 

I think it’s 50/50 on KD leaving but I don’t think he will be anywhere near as successful with the Knicks or Nets. They ain’t winning ****. 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Someone explain why the Knicks are thought of as a team that can land KD.  Has he mentioned that he'd like to play there?  Or is this more of ESPN trying to talk something into existence? 

Because for whatever reason he might want out of GS (just fatigue of the personalities there, etc.), and they are one of the handful of teams that can give out a max contract.

Like I said, I suspect GS will give him the max, and he'll stay.

But assuming he wants out of GS and the money, of the places he can go, the Knicks aren't a bad option.

20 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So you want these teams to tank? 

I would sell my tickets for a few years and just watch it on television. 

The Knicks have not gotten to where they are to sign 2 out of the likes of Kyrie, Butler, Walker, Thompson or Harris to (near) max deals and fight for a 4 seed.

Their path is clear.  Keep being bad until

1.  they luck into (some) real great players in the draft.

2. they can lure one of the players in the NBA to come there

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

3 titles in 5 years and are going to be in better shape than when The Dude We Blew A 3-1 Lead Against and desolated Miami. I’m still smug. 

I think it’s 50/50 on KD leaving but I don’t think he will be anywhere near as successful with the Knicks or Nets. They ain’t winning ****. 

We was old and ****, man... **** you want? People gotta die and pass on. Its a natural part of life :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Someone explain why the Knicks are thought of as a team that can land KD.  Has he mentioned that he'd like to play there?  Or is this more of ESPN trying to talk something into existence? 

a lot nba insiders, including outside of ESPN, have talked as if KD to NYC was highly likely for some time, this didn't entirely pop out of nowhere. seems most info was given off the record so they can't necessarily report on it

• Haha 3

It still seems crazy to me to pay Durant the max right now.  With a freshly shredded Achilles, you'd be paying for what he was, not what he will be.  It's more of a leap of faith than I'd be willing to take.  

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Nobody would sign him to a one year deal so he can recover on their dime and bounce.

It makes sense for teams to still give him the max contract and they can and just eat that first year. You're still getting a top 20 all time player with several top quality years left when he gets back. 

If im the knicks or the nets...thats worth it to me. When have I or am I ever getting a player as great as KD? Suck up the first year and enjoy the rest of the contract 

Are you sure about that?  We went through this when Boogie got hurt about the track record of this injury.  I dont know why folks are just assuming he'll be good as new.

Edited by justice98

54 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It still seems crazy to me to pay Durant the max right now.  With a freshly shredded Achilles, you'd be paying for what he was, not what he will be.  It's more of a leap of faith than I'd be willing to take.  

Are you sure about that?  We went through this when Boogie got hurt about the track record of this injury.  I dont know why folks are just assuming he'll be good as new.

He is one of the most effortless scorers in nba history and He’s an incredible shooter. I don’t think an Achilles is going to slow him down much since he doesn’t rely on crazy athleticism  

Well if you're the Knicks, you have gotta do something. If you go another offseason without landing a star the fans just may burn MSG to the ground. They're really probably the only team that can afford to take on KD and eat a year. No real contending team will take that chance.

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I hope Kyrie goes to NYK so it blows up spectacularly....that will be so much fun to watch

Let's recap.  He left a championship team because he couldn't handle being second fiddle.  Then he murdered the locker room of a team one step from a championship just by being himself.  And he's got a injury history a mile long. 

And the Knicks want him to play second fiddle to KD and save New York?  Well, after spending a year as the lone star in New York, likely losing a lot of games waiting for KD to heal.  What could go wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

He's not top twenty... Yet. 

He definitely is. An MVP, 2 Titles, 2 FInals MVP (Both vs LeBron for the record), and is arguably one of the best scorers ever and even became a decent defender later in his career.

Bammas can't even use the excuse of him joining the Warriors anymore... I said it on July 4th, 2016, the Warriors need Durant WAYYYY more than he needed/needs them.

I don't know how their season will go, but I think the Pelicans might have one of the top defenses in the league next year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Let's recap.  He left a championship team because he couldn't handle being second fiddle.  Then he murdered the locker room of a team one step from a championship just by being himself.  And he's got a injury history a mile long. 

And the Knicks want him to play second fiddle to KD and save New York?  Well, after spending a year as the lone star in New York, likely losing a lot of games waiting for KD to heal.  What could go wrong? 

I read that in a horror/suspense narrator voice.

Summer blockbuster

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1