Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

With talk about Reed Doughty being gone and Niles Paul being gone, in addition to losing Alexander I think a lot of people here are undervaluing special teams

I don't think I'm undervaluing special teams.  I'm just not a huge fan of keeping a guy on the team that can't contribute other than on special teams.  Lo Alexander could play fifty positions.  Doughty is solid in a back up role.  Paul is not a good tight end, and I think his value on special teams is overrated.  Kehl will be a beast on teams, so is Doughty.  And I imagine guys like BJenkins and DTapp will be blowing fools up too.

In short, I think it is overblown how much we're gonna lose on special teams if Paul gets a pink slip.  Our special teams won't miss a beat.

We have plenty of LBs and DBs on the team that can excel on teams. 

If he was a dynamic return guy...I think I would agree with you.  There's not a lot of guys around the league that can take it to the house every time they tocuh it.  But he's not.  He's a gunner that can be replaced.

With talk about Reed Doughty being gone and Niles Paul being gone, in addition to losing Alexander I think a lot of people here are undervaluing special teams

Doughty will be your starting SS bar an exceptional rookie showing.

Love him or hate him, he's as good as we have on the books and gets the gig by default.

Hail.

FREE FRED! MAKE THE PEOPLE HAPPY!

Doughty will be your starting SS bar an exceptional rookie showing.

Love him or hate him, he's as good as we have on the books and gets the gig by default.

Hail.

So you don't think Merriweather will be starting?

He will if he's healthy.

I have Merrieeathe at free, and Doughty at SS as the starters as of now. With the two rooks and maybe A N Other dependent how secure or not we feel.

Hopefully with Thomas taking over at SS and Rambo st free in the not too distant future.

Hail.

He will if he's healthy.

I have Merrieeathe at free, and Doughty at SS as the starters as of now. With the two rooks and maybe A N Other dependent how secure or not we feel.

Hopefully with Thomas taking over at SS and Rambo st free in the not too distant future.

Hail.

I just can't see Doughty starting over Rambo or Thomas if they're healthy. I think it's going to be (and yes, this is a change from an earlier post of mine) Rambo at FS and Merweather at SS. I think Amerson starts as a backup but by week 10 or 11 works his way into the starting lineup.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/07/12/finding-a-third-down-back-key-for-redskins/

I somehow missed this nugget from John Keim on us finding a third down back (link above):

Burning questions:  1) Will either of the rookies help? Thompson offers excellent burst, which he showed at Florida State. He’d be a good fit in what the Redskins want to do with some triple-option looks or on third downs. However, he’s listed at 5 feet 7 and did not always excel at blitz pickups, nor did he have a lot of experience in that role. But he is elusive. Oh, he’s also coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament, he broke his back two years ago and he did not practice with the Redskins this spring. It’ll be a lot to expect him to have a big impact early. Jamison picked up blitzes well at Rutgers and has good hands. He’s not speedy, but has the making of an all-around back or even just a third-down back. Jamison did a nice job making defenders miss once past the line. Can he do that in the NFL? In the end, it could be difficult to keep both rookies.

2) What can the Redskins expect from Helu? Clearly we know he’s not the most durable back. That was the knock on him coming out of college and after knee problems in his first season and turf toe in his second, that rap hasn’t diminished. The ironic thing is Helu is the most well-built of the backs. But he’s a necessary weapon because of his speed and ability to make defenders miss on the outside. They don’t need him to carry 15 times a game, but they do need him to be a threat on screens, for example. He could use a little more patience and better vision on some of his runs to set up defenders, even on screens. But his touchdown vs. Seattle two years ago – hopping over a defender at the line – remains one few on this roster would make. So as long as he’s healthy, Helu should play a role. He has improved in protection, enough that it should not be an issue (two years ago he had a bad habit of lowering his head, losing sight of the rusher).

why can't Darryl Young be our third down back?  If it's 3rd and 10 or over you don't really want to be throwing to your back.  So put in a guy who can bull it for short yardage, catch a short pass for intermediate and pick up the blitzer on long downs

why can't Darryl Young be our third down back?  If it's 3rd and 10 or over you don't really want to be throwing to your back.  So put in a guy who can bull it for short yardage, catch a short pass for intermediate and pick up the blitzer on long downs

I don't think that's a bad idea, but it changes the personnel grouping on the defense if you don't have a running back with a little more speed back there.  Young is a match up nightmare for any linebacker and most safeties.  I personally think he could do most of the stuff we would ask of a third down back but it might be a better idea to have a long term solution there.

I have a question?

Just what is the attraction of going to watch players practice at camp? I've never gotten that. Aside from the 'real' stuff being saved for closed practices; I can't think of anything more tedious than watching football players train. Reading about how a days gone is one thing. But sitting out watching it ..... ?

I've never understood the attraction. Maybe it's a uniquely American thing, and Hell if I aren't as passionate as the next man about the Redskins. But training camp ..... I'd love to hear the attraction.

Hail.

I thought it was a done deal that we're keeping four Tight Ends, I'm sure Shanny said as much just after the draft.

I think Niles Paul gets another year to improve at the position while still contributing on STs. Fred, Paulsen and Jordan Reed are locks IMO. If we do keep 4 TEs then that could well mean only keeping six WRs. Maybe Reed will play as a kind of 'tweener.

The FS battle is gonna be fun to watch, I haven't got a Scooby who will start there. Merriweather has to start at SS, if healthy.

I thought it was a done deal that we're keeping four Tight Ends, I'm sure Shanny said as much just after the draft.

I think Niles Paul gets another year to improve at the position while still contributing on STs. Fred, Paulsen and Jordan Reed are locks IMO. If we do keep 4 TEs then that could well mean only keeping six WRs. Maybe Reed will play as a kind of 'tweener.

The FS battle is gonna be fun to watch, I haven't got a Scooby who will start there. Merriweather has to start at SS, if healthy.

Didn't Allen (and Shanny?) say the same thing last year before cutting Cooley?

While I agree about Meriweather at SS, there is one proviso. If the rooks aren't deemed ready, I'd think Doughty would start at SS and Meriweather at Free.

I hate to bring up Jackson again ('cause I don't really care about the guy but some hate the mere mention of him), but... as of now we've got one natural free safety (Rambo) and then a bunch of strong safeties. It seems like almost every year we only have one true free safety on the roster, although last year Madieu and Jackson would've broken that trend.

On paper anyway, I like the idea of Rambo and Jackson at FS, Meriweather and Doughty at SS and Thomas learning both roles to be the emergency guy. If Jackson screws the pooch again then Thomas takes his spot and Bernstine, Pugh or Gomes get a call.

It's a shame Bernstine and Minnifield can't go to the PS (or so I understand) given their time on IR. Who knows, maybe they both make it.

I have just learnt what a 'Camalbak' is and I'ma get me one and flil it with beer! - :)

ES. The place that never stops giving.

Hail.

I would recommend against that action. A buddy of mine did that with his issued camelback when we were in Guam a few years ago and your camelback will forever reek of old beer and the buildup in the lines will affect the taste of anything you put in there afterwards.

I have a question?

Just what is the attraction of going to watch players practice at camp? I've never gotten that. Aside from the 'real' stuff being saved for closed practices; I can't think of anything more tedious than watching football players train. Reading about how a days gone is one thing. But sitting out watching it ..... ?

I've never understood the attraction. Maybe it's a uniquely American thing, and Hell if I aren't as passionate as the next man about the Redskins. But training camp ..... I'd love to hear the attraction.

Hail.

It really doesn't pay to wonder too much about why do Americans do the things they do, collectively we're as crazy as a sack of weasels.

I have a question?

Hail.

I think the answer is three-fold.

1) Proximity... you get to get closer to the action and see your favorite players do their thing (kind of)esp. on the 7 on 7 drills.

2) Autographs... some fans love collecting autographs and this is usually a good place and time to snag them for free

3) It's free.  With game tickets being as expensive as they are this is a way to support your team, bring the family and cheern in a way that won't kill the budget.  How many families can afford to bring a family of four to a game and spend 400 bucks on a few hours entertainment?  Seats, parking, and chow are really backbreaking for some.

I have a question?

Hail.

The attraction is simple, big brother.

Our last football game was in early January... over 7 months ago, now.  Football is OVERWHELMINGLY the most popular sport in the United States of America and it's not even close.  We long for it.  Training camp is the first glimpse you'll get of your team and it's new toys for the next season.  We've been without it all together for 6 months now... we're ready for anything football, practice or not. 

The Redskins routinely get over 20,000 fans to watch practices.  Few fan bases get more than that, but most get in absurd amount.  

This time of year everyone is undefeated and everyone has a shot.

I thought it was a done deal that we're keeping four Tight Ends, I'm sure Shanny said as much just after the draft.

I think Niles Paul gets another year to improve at the position while still contributing on STs. Fred, Paulsen and Jordan Reed are locks IMO. If we do keep 4 TEs then that could well mean only keeping six WRs. Maybe Reed will play as a kind of 'tweener.

The FS battle is gonna be fun to watch, I haven't got a Scooby who will start there. Merriweather has to start at SS, if healthy.

He may have said something to the effect of "I'm not against keeping four" but he's never committed 100% to any roster spot being safe (save for the obvious ones, ;) ).  That said, as I've maintained all along, Niles is a weapon and a good football player.  It's going to take a huge effort to get him off the 53, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Agreed on FS and SS, though.  I'm more interested in how many of each position we'll keep in that secondary.  A lot of kids have a shot at this thing and there are a lot of "feel good" stories out there.

I would just like to say that I wish more threads on ES looked like this.  Having gone through the process of updating an ongoing similar thread in the past, it takes a ton of effort to categorize, color code, insert links in text, etc.  Very well done.

Keeping 4 TEs will not have an affect on how many WRs are kept. By keeping only one FB on the roster, you need 4 TEs in case Young gets hurt. I say we'll keep 4 TEs and 6 WRs.

Good point about insurance for Young, however if they keep 3 qbs and 4 backs then they'll have to go with 8 o-line (assuming 25 on offense). They may be fine with this as they've done it before, but it will be interesting to see which route they take.

If 8 o-line - I'd assume Hurt and Compton make it and Gettis and LeRibeus battle for the last spot. I'd give the edge to Ribs (versatility, higher pick and only Gettis is PS eligible, right?).

I had what appeared to be an ominous dream last night.

Never seen the dude play outside of the two highlight films and never really heard of him outside of Gregpeck's gawking... but we were in an important game last night and Skye Dawson was using the defense.  Weird.

We'll have to see.  That doesn't happen to me often.

I had what appeared to be an ominous dream last night.

Never seen the dude play outside of the two highlight films and never really heard of him outside of Gregpeck's gawking... but we were in an important game last night and Skye Dawson was using the defense.  Weird.

We'll have to see.  That doesn't happen to me often.

It called pre-camp psychosis. :)

Great work on the thread, brother.  We've almost made it.  I need a mother****ing insomniac thread that I can refer to for the next 36 hours.  Let's get this party started!!!  Haillllll!!!!

Tarik and Rich T are coming in strong on the eve of training camp: 

WHO WILL START AT FREE SAFETY (20 QUESTIONS):  http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/who-will-start-free-safety-redskins

The Redskins are bringing back 21 of the 22 starters that helped lead them to the NFC East crown last season. The one starter not retained? Free safety Madieu Williams. The void was addressed in April’s draft, when the team used its fourth round pick on Phillip Thomas and its sixth round selection on Bacarri Rambo. Both players showed flashes of their promise in OTAs and minicamp, but it remains unclear if defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is prepared to hand over one of the game’s most complex positions to a rookie.

Tarik El-Bashir: Gonna be honest here, this might be toughest question to answer because there are so many moving parts. But here’s my best guess: Assuming Brandon Meriweather returns 100-percent from ACL surgery, he’ll be one of the starters. At the other position, it wouldn’t surprise me if Haslett turns to versatile eight-year pro Reed Doughty to bridge the gap until either Thomas or Rambo is ready. That time might arrive in the preseason. It might be Week 4. We do know this: Meriweather can play either safety spot and, for the time being, Thomas is viewed as a strong safety while Rambo is seen as more comfortable at free. Judging from Haslett’s comments last month, it sounds as though he’s expecting both to contribute sooner rather than later. So I’m going with a Meriweather-Doughty tandem to start the season, with one of the rookies replacing Doughty at some point. 

Rich Tandler: During minicamp, Haslett said that he thought that one rookie defensive back would end up starting. Given the situation with returning starters noted above, I suspect that Haz and the rest of the coaches want Bacarri Rambo ready to start at free safety. He has four years a Georgia under his belt and if playing that much in the SEC pressure cooker doesn’t get a rookie NFL ready, nothing will. On top of that, although any position on the Redskins’ defense requires a lot of learning, free safety is more of an instinctive position than most and with hard work Rambo could have sufficient mastery to be able to start. Even if Doughty goes Week 1, Rambo should be in place before the leaves start to turn.

Couldn't agree with either more.  It's a matter of time thing.  And I'd love to see how we package these guys.  With this much presumed pass rush talent and the level of ball hawking in the secondary now, Hazlett may want to get his "Mad Hatter" on in the lab this preseason. 

I agree with Tandler.  Hopefully Rambo will be ready to roll.  I fully expect Haz to get after people this year, especially after seeing our run was predicated on the defense being more aggressive.  I expect us to have more takeaways this year...we certainly have more "gimme dat!" guys in the secondary.  Our zone coverage could be sick this season.  

Archived